BD-UP5000 Audio and input Problems - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 12-27-2007, 09:48 PM

Default BD-UP5000 Audio and input Problems

I just bought the BD-UP5000.

Audio Problems: I'm having trouble with audio loss. I was watching Transformers (HD-DVD) yesterday and every couple of minutes I lost audio for a few seconds. The same thing happened today while I was watching Harrry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (Blu-Ray). I have the player connected to a 65 in. Panasonic Plasma. I don't have any speakers other than the ones integrated into the TV set

Input problems: When I play Ratatouille, after a couple of minutes I'm not able to use either the buttons on my controller or on the BD-UP5000. I can't stop, rewind, pause, etc. The only button that works on either the control or the unit is the power button.

Anyone else having these problems?
Old 12-28-2007, 12:54 AM

I observed the same audio dropouts when with my player as well. I only had it hooked up for a couple of hours then just decided to return to Crutchfield.
Old 12-29-2007, 07:01 AM

Quote:
I only had it hooked up for a couple of hours then just decided to return to Crutchfield.
Well at least you gave it a complete and thorough work out before washing your hands of it. Pffft, cmon, here I thought you actually put some time into testing the machine.
Old 12-29-2007, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickengas View Post
Well at least you gave it a complete and thorough work out before washing your hands of it. Pffft, cmon, here I thought you actually put some time into testing the machine.
What makes you think I wasn't capable of thoroughly testing the unit in a couple of hours? During the time I had it connected I tested the following:

1) Checked for grey dot crawl issue others have seen on Samsung splash screen
2) Checked for grey dot crawl using Transformers classroom and snow scene. People on avsforum noticed dot crawl during these scenes.
3) Tested the following audio formats on both Blu Ray and HD using both Analog output and HDMI bitstream in audiophile mode: PCM, DD+, TrueHD, DTS-HD, DTS-HD MA.
4) Tested for "motorboating" effect others have noticed on Cars. (It does)
5) Conducted side by side test with 16x9 SD source between Denon 1940 (Faroudja chip) and Samsung 5000 (Reon chip). Couldn't notice a difference on my ISF calibrated 60XBR950 from 6 feet.
6) Tested 4x3 SD source to see if Samsung stretches the image (it does).
Old 12-31-2007, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotie View Post
What makes you think I wasn't capable of thoroughly testing the unit in a couple of hours? During the time I had it connected I tested the following:

2) Checked for grey dot crawl using Transformers classroom and snow scene. People on avsforum noticed dot crawl during these scenes.
3) Tested the following audio formats on both Blu Ray and HD using both Analog output and HDMI bitstream in audiophile mode: PCM, DD+, TrueHD, DTS-HD, DTS-HD MA.
5) Conducted side by side test with 16x9 SD source between Denon 1940 (Faroudja chip) and Samsung 5000 (Reon chip). Couldn't notice a difference on my ISF calibrated 60XBR950 from 6 feet.
All of the above is true. I have waited all year and am very disapponted. Mine is going back. I am playing right now with a Panny BD30 & Toshiba A35 combo. Both seem much more stable and play all discs that I throw at them. The DUO idea is great. I hope they can work it out. I just can deal with a the wait and possible frustration. AND STRETCHING 4:3!!! COME ON!!
Old 12-31-2007, 10:28 PM

Yeah, I just couldn't believe it stretches 4X3! It seems to be such a basic feature and Samsung couldn't even get THAT right. I bet this never gets fixed with a firmware update.
Old 12-31-2007, 11:16 PM

Did you hook it up via HDMI?

...and yes, firmware can fix a lot of the issues listed.

Quote:
All of that and you forgot the most important test:

7) Put a favorite movie in and watch it.

How anal do people have to get over picture perfection. The only issues I look for are grainy or blurry pictures and whether or not the player has issues playing my movies. I know it won't play some of the sound formats, but thats coming soon. Try to buy a player that you can hook up and watch a movie on....if your going to over analyze every aspect of these things, you'll never be happy.
Old 12-31-2007, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickengas View Post
Did you hook it up via HDMI?

...and yes, firmware can fix a lot of the issues listed.

All of that and you forgot the most important test:

7) Put a favorite movie in and watch it.

How anal do people have to get over picture perfection. The only issues I look for are grainy or blurry pictures and whether or not the player has issues playing my movies. I know it won't play some of the sound formats, but thats coming soon. Try to buy a player that you can hook up and watch a movie on....if your going to over analyze every aspect of these things, you'll never be happy.
You didn't bother to fully read what I said I tested on. Reread it and you'll see that I tested via HDMI AND ANALOG. I'm not being anal, I want the best PQ and AQ available. Try putting cars in your 5000 and you'll notice motorboating on the main menu selection screen. You're using your tv speakers... right? I returned it and bought something else and now I'm happy enjoying lossless audio!!!

Don't you care about watching content the way the director/creator intended? I have a lot of 4X3 SD media and I'm not going to watch it stretched just like I'd never watch a 16X9 disc in a cropped format.
Old 01-01-2008, 12:25 AM

Quote:
I'm not being anal, I want the best PQ and AQ available.
You had it...and returned it Crotchfield.

...and yes, you are being anal. If lack of dot crawl and is what it takes you make you happy...then your anal. Put in a movie for christs sake and just sit back and enjoy it.

enjoy your pursuit of perfection......may it get your rocks off!
Old 01-01-2008, 03:31 AM

Dude, what the hell are you talking about? You think I'm being anal for returning a player because it doesn't work properly. I don't know what to say. Also, I'm not the only person that saw these problems. For the last time... here are all the reasons I returned it:

- Stretches 4X3 source material
- Dot crawl
- Motorboating
- Several HD and BD discs that have compatability issues
- Play locks intermittedly on both HD and BD discs. Can't replicate on the same scene twice.
- Using Analog output does not decode TrueHD, DTS-HD, or DTS-HD MA.
- Using HDMI Bitstream output (audiophile mode) passes TrueHD in 2 channels only, not 5.1 channels. Does not pass DTS-HD or DTS-HD MA.

Stop calling me "anal" for wanting to purchase a player that works. I keep repeating myself and I'm getting tired of it. If you continue this I'm going to report you to the mods. I've already explained to you that I don't feel comfortable giving Samsung $800 for a player that doesn't work as advertised.

I understand that you are happy with your purchase. I respect that this player meets all of your audio/video needs so please respect that it doesn't meet mine.

Give me your address and I'll send over a box of Orville Redenbacher.