Another Question About The BD-UP5000 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 12-25-2007, 07:44 AM

Default Another Question About The BD-UP5000

Does anyone have it now and are pleased with it? If so please tell me you do and why it's so pleasing for you right now because I really wanna get one but if I hear enough problems, it'll help me decide. Thanks!
Old 12-25-2007, 10:18 AM

If you don't care about waiting for a firmware upgrade to bitstream TrueHD and DTS-HD or decode TrueHD internally for analog output then I think you should get it now. Also, there are a few discs that are currently having problems but other Samsung players have had this issue until firmware was released.
Old 12-25-2007, 10:42 AM

At this point ANYONE considering this player should WAIT imo until more units are out and at least 3 professional reviews have been posted. Don't say you weren't warned. :-#
Old 12-26-2007, 04:15 AM

Other than the known audio limitations mentioned above, I've witnessed nothing that makes me regret my purchase. Transformers, TMNT (HD DVD), the Bourne trilogy (all 3) and Lost Season 3 Ep. 1 (the rest are to be viewed soonish ) have all played back without any hiccups whatsoever. These are some of the problem discs so far: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=957578

It's not conclusive and doesn't apply to all owners (i.e. some owners have reported no playback problems with Diehard) but should give you an idea where most of the problems are presently. I'll look into getting some of those discs for testing in the near future myself.
Old 12-26-2007, 10:06 AM

I guess I'll hold off then! I have all those disks that are problematic! I was gonna get it around tax refund time anyway so hopefully all the kinks will be ironed out by then! Thanks Vin!
Old 12-26-2007, 01:42 PM

I feel the audio limitations sink the machine. Too bad because other than that it works by and large fine.
Audio in my opinion is as important as video to get the full experience. I am
switching to the older Blu-ray only Panasonic 10A because it handles all sound except DTS-MA thru the analog
hookup. It is on sale at Amazon for $399
so I will enough left over to get an HD machine if need be.
Old 12-27-2007, 04:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Audio View Post
I feel the audio limitations sink the machine. Too bad because other than that it works by and large fine.
Audio in my opinion is as important as video to get the full experience. I am
switching to the older Blu-ray only Panasonic 10A because it handles all sound except DTS-MA thru the analog
hookup. It is on sale at Amazon for $399
so I will enough left over to get an HD machine if need be.
No offense to all of you, but everyone keeps complaining about the sound decoding lacks but once again, I do not have a receiver that is hooked up to a 5.1 or 7.1 surround system or any kind of extra speakers. I will only have it hooked up to my TV via ONE HDMI cable. So the only main problem I have since I am only using my TV speakers, is video. Will it play without problems? I mean in both formats? That is the bigger issue with me here.

Last edited by AznNintendoFan1; 12-27-2007 at 07:22 AM.
Old 12-27-2007, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AznNintendoFan1 View Post
Will it play without problems? I mean in both formats? That is the bigger issue with me here.
Read post #4 above. Someone already listed a thread at avsforum which includes all titles which people are having video issues with.
Old 12-27-2007, 09:58 PM

Why would you cry about the audio "limitations"?? It's only temporary. Maybe they are taking their time to get it right?? Samsung seems damned if they do, and damned if they don't. There's just no pleasing some of you people. The firmware update to unlock the DTS-HD MA will be out, you make it sound like the layer wont support it. PATIENCE!! Let Samsung do their thing, get the firmware ready..and done correctly, then it will be released.
Old 12-28-2007, 01:04 AM

If they were taking their time to do it right why is it already on the market? I just don't choose to support Samsung's product implementation strategy with my wallet. It is my feeling that Samsung should have gotten this right before they released the product instead of releasing it "incomplete". I've been waiting more than 6 months to purchase a combo-player to make the dive into high-def dvd. I read the few pre-release reviews that were available and was under the impression that the audio limitations mentioned would have been corrected for the final release product (I believe the reviewers were as well). Instead of waiting any longer I have now just purchased two seperate units.