Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
    jed
    jed is offline HDD Founder

Default Samsung: Dual-Format BD-UP5000 Now Shipping

Despite rumors to the contrary, Samsung says its BD-UP5000 dual-format high-def disc player is shipping "as we speak," and will hit stores at a price lower than previously announced.

Full story:
    http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/show/1240
    Last edited by jed; 12-06-2007 at 02:11 PM.

PJammin5 is offline Member

This is good news. Does that mean that if the MSRP is $799 that Amazon will have it for even less (usually they sell things for less than the msrp)?

SuperMattyP is offline Member

I may pick up a dual-player in the future but more than likely I'd just buy a ps3 for the few BR exclusives and have the console for the few PS3 exclusives (GT5 is the only one I can think of worth buying)
    HD DVD = 49 and growing
    BR = 0 and staying stagnant

"For those on the forum who still give a shit about real films and not the encoder specs on cartoons, here's a couple of upcoming HD DVD exclusives coming in 2008."

Get paid to answer questions...seriously. I've been paid from this. https://www.surveysavvy.com?id=3217386&action=join

bigshynepo is offline Member

That's a good time. I wonder if we'll see any boxing day doorcrashers on them during Canadian boxing day. I would consider getting one for my parents for christmas so they could avoid this whole ugly war. They would prefer to have one player at a premium over two budget units.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperMattyP View Post
    the few PS3 exclusives (GT5 is the only one I can think of worth buying)
    They're coming...they're coming... For now, enjoy Uncharted and Rachet, two great games. Unreal is out soon and Gran Turismo Prologue is just around the corner (so you can get your racing fix )
    Display-------------> 46" Sony Bravia KDL-46W3000 LCD
    A/V Receiver-------> Sony STR-DA4300ES A/V Receiver
    Blu-Ray Player------> Playstation 3 60gb
    Thank you Warner Bros!

BigShynePo was without Hi-Def for: 49 Days!!
    Why? Find Out Here so it Doesn't Happen to You!!

gspin2k1 is offline Member

I can see the advantage of having a Dual format player especially for ppl who aren't too tech savvy but just want to play the hi def movies. That and having less connections, etc. But...at the price points these things are coming out..I just can't see the convenience of having 1 player vs 2 worth it..when u can theoretically get a PS3 (which is a gaming system, media center, and blu ray player) and a budget HD-A3 for a total of $600-650 with 13 free movies (given the rebates and whats in box latelY) compared to buying this dual format player for $800-1000 and maybe getting 5 free movies with it. IMO Dual format players should be cheaper than the standalones combined..not more expensive.

~G
    Current Setup:
    -Samsung 650 40" LCD HDTV
    -Sony 60 GB PS3 (Launch Unit still running smooth)
    -Nintendo Wii
    -Onkyo TX-SR605B 7.1 Channel Receiver
    -Aperion Audio Speakers:
    -FL/FR/Sub - 533-PT
    -Center - 533-VAC
    -SL/SR- 534-SS

mrspeakers is offline analog/digital audio expert

Amazon is still showing list as $999 and price as $799, so hopefully this will be adjusted to a lower retail price.
    Epson Pro 1080UB projector
    106" Elite Expo white wall-mount screen
    Integra 9.8 Surround Processor
    Theta Dreadnaught Amp (5 channel)
    AudioSource One stereo amp (rear surrounds)
    Panasonic BD30
    Toshiba XA2
    My own LRC speakers and sub + 4 PSB 50 surrounds
    AppleTV and Mac Mini with 1.5TB RAID for music/visualizer/photos

MNTWISTER is offline Member

Some of the highlights of this player are 1. The Reon HQV processor, 2.7.1 analog outputs that will send Dolby True, PCM and DTS master, 3. Plays both formats and interactivity for both, and has 1gb of memory so will be upgradable to BD2.0 via firmware.

This is an excellent deal if they are changing the retail to $799, one could find this for $599 to $650 area. Even if one format fails you have a great player with HQV. I owned Samsung's 1200 blu-ray player for a while and it produced a stunning hd picture, plus the Reon HQV upscaled beautifully!

I do think I will wait for a few reviews and comments from owners before I jump. I already own the Playstation 3 and absolutely love it, games alone are awesome, and I was trying the Panasonic BD30 blu-ray player, but with this out, will return it within my 30 days because its upscaling is not good.
    Denon avr-3808 receiver, Playstation 3 60gb,Epson 1080 high def projector, Elite Screens 150" diag.screen, Denon 3930 DVD player w/realta.

COLUMNIST FOR "GOLDEN HOLLYWOOD" ON THE DIGITAL BITS:
    http://www.thedigitalbits.com/articl...gel/index.html

ccphilly1984 is offline HD Adult Movie Enthusiast

this is just an introductory price... with the new dual decoder chips, expect more models coming that rivel regular bd players... VIVA LA REVOLUTION! Dual format is King... all the movies no sony or toshiba propoganda can stop you either! with this dual format player, you can tell fanboys to "kiss your arse"... anyone like my suggested samsung/lg motto in my signature "beyond high definition with the look and sound of perfect"... put it in your signature if you hate fanboys
    no signature pics allowed here? = lame

McPasta is offline Member

I may pick up a dual-player in the future but more than likely I'd just buy a ps3 for the few BR exclusives and have the console for the few PS3 exclusives (GT5 is the only one I can think of worth buying)
    If you like action / adventure games, try Ratchet and Clank. It came with my PS3 (costco bundle) and that game is a lot of fun. Flying with the sixaxis motion control is awesome!

But back on topic.. I'd love to get a dual format player. At this point I'll probably just snag an A3 when the prices get to the $150 or so level. There isn't may HD DVD movies I really want so I can wait. Pixar though was a must have for me!

typ44q is offline Member

does anyone know if there is anything that this player does not do? like any audio formats that are not supported or any features missing?
    If this really does everything and can be updated to profile 2.0 then $800 msrp seems like a pretty good deal especially if you can get it for less.

crazzeto is offline Member

Those are my thoughts, I already have an AD-H2 so while it's convinient to have both formats in one package, I feel I'm better off just buying something dedicated to BD....

Besides who knows, maybe on day the PS3 will actually have games
    Toshiba 55" 55HT1U LCD ([email protected]) w/Tivo HD, Harmony 880
    HDM Players: Toshiba HD-A30, Samsung BD-P2500 (wow! reon!)
    Onkyo TX-605SR, F Polk Monitor 50s bi-amped, C CS1, Yamaha sur & sub
    X-Box 360, Wii, DreamCast, DS
    HDM Count - Hopless
    Wii: 0774-4826-1902, Disney: Guest13971, WB: crazzeto Uni: Locutus4657 Sony: crazzeto

*view pictures of my home theater and movies (out dated)

sino is offline Member

Now if I can only get the five mail-in DVDs from both sides, that'll be sweet. Toss in 300, Bourne Identity, and Spider-Man 3? Maybe Amazon can add another three discs, too, while we're at it.

Hey, I can dream, can't it?

Bee
    Bee is offline Founding Member

This seems like an excellent deal. If this player was available two months ago at this price point, this is the player I would probably be owning.....I'm jealous.
    Toshiba HD-XA2 (98 Titles Owned, 1 pre-ordered)
    Panasonic DMP-BD30 (44 Titles Owned, 4 pre-ordered)
    Philips 50" plasma w/Pixel Plus 3 HD & Ambilight
    Onkyo TX-SR805 7.1 Receiver
    JBL Northridge Series Speakers & Sub (PB10)
    Sony DVP-NC685V (SACD)
    Panamax 5300-EX
    Xbox 360
    DirecTV HR-20
    Harmony 880 Remote

dBock is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by jed View Post
    Despite rumors to the contrary, Samsung says its BD-UP5000 dual-format high-def disc player is shipping "as we speak," and will hit stores at a price lower than previously announced.

Full story:
    http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/show/1240
    Holy crap...if that thing ever gets to the $500 price point I'll completely and 100% buy it buy it buy it. Then I'll be purple and won't have to waste my days on this website. LOL.
    Cold Coffee: A Film Blog / Latest Review: Cloverfield / A-
    HD-DVDs: 26 DVDs: 1,257 Xbox 360 Games: 27, Xbox Games: 10, Wii Games: 5,
    Xbox Live Gamer Tag: Wired Magik
    Equipment:
    Toshiba A20Z (Z for Zombie), Yamaha HTR-5860, Denon Vinyl Player, Xbox360, Wii, 50" Panasonic Plasma w/ISF, Klipsh F2 5.1 Home Theater System, Velodyne CHT12.
    Computers:
    MacPro Quad 3.0 w/24" HD Display, 17" MacBook Pro, 13" MacBook, 12.1" iBook.

PJammin5 is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by typ44q View Post
    does anyone know if there is anything that this player does not do? like any audio formats that are not supported or any features missing?
    If this really does everything and can be updated to profile 2.0 then $800 msrp seems like a pretty good deal especially if you can get it for less.
    I also have a similar question about the audio with this player. Using HDMI to onkyo705 i can get dolby true hd and DTS-HD MA (oncethe firmware update comes out in January)?

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast