Samsung BD-P5000 Review S&V - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 11-20-2007, 11:10 AM

Default Samsung BD-P5000 Review S&V

Title says it all. Here's the link:

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/hdt...bd-up5000.html

Conclusion

Quote:
When it was up and running, though, the BD-UP5000 showed some solid potential. Video quality was very good: Since the Samsung includes Silicon Optix HQV processing, I was hardly surprised to see the player ace the complete lineup of tests found on that company's DVD, HD DVD, and Blu-ray test discs benchmarks that we reviewers use to help gauge performance on disc players and displays. Picture detail with high-def discs in both formats was excellent, and the same held true for DVDs.

From a usability standpoint, our sample of the Duo functioned smoothly, switching between various disc formats in an effortless, transparent manner. Boot-up time from initially pressing the Power button to seeing a Samsung logo appear onscreen was 35 seconds not bad compared with other high-def disc players. And you can load discs almost immediately, which is a nice convenience. The time to get to the beloved FBI Warning screen varied from disc to disc, but in most cases it was quicker than the player's initial boot-up period.

The Duo provides ultra-smooth 2x and 4x scanning for DVD playback. Fast-forward/reverse scanning on both HD DVD and Blu-ray, while not bad, actually seemed choppy in comparison. As with standalone HD DVD machines, pressing Stop and then Play at any time during HD DVD playback means you have to first go through the disc's initial startup menu and seek out the last scene to resume play. In contrast, pressing Stop and then Play with both Blu-ray discs and regular DVDs whisks you directly to the point where you dashed off to answer the doorbell. The player also proved capable of spinning CDs thank you, Samsung!
Old 11-20-2007, 05:34 PM

Sounds pretty good to me. Just give us a release date. I plan on picking it up in Jan.
Old 11-20-2007, 05:38 PM

Sounds really good. I just read the blurb so I need to read the whole review. I know many people are anxiously awaiting this unit. =p~=p~=p~
Old 11-21-2007, 09:08 AM

I didnt quote some of the issues noticed during testing since the author mentioned the firmware was still being tweaked. Will have to wait and see if those are fixed once users get there hands on this product next month.

Overall it looks like if you want a combo player, this is the one to go with.
Old 11-22-2007, 06:11 PM

Reading the whole review over. From what I can gather this will do the newer audio codecs through analog outs aswell as HDMI?? Since the player decodes them. I ask this since my A/V doesn't do audio through HDMI, just coaxial, optical, and analog.
Old 11-22-2007, 07:58 PM

yeah, absolutely. through the analog outs should sound great. right below hdmi in quality, but better than coaxial, optical, etc, etc.
Old 11-23-2007, 10:29 AM

Default Panasonic BD-UP5000 review

There's a short discussion of this review on AVForums.

The consensus seems to be to wait until it's released in order to be sure that all the glitches are ironed out. Many people are also unhappy that you can't configure the speaker size and distance within the player - required if you are using the 7 analog outs as most amps don't support this configuration if using analog inputs.

There also seems to be some confusion as to whether it will internally decode DTS Master Audio, although it will definitely decode Dolby TrueHD.

There's a very long discussion on AVSForum.

Last edited by monsieurgadget; 11-23-2007 at 10:43 AM.
Old 11-23-2007, 06:43 PM

Reading the review, the author states that the DTS-MA decoding will require a firmware update. This, I believe, is what Samsung had stated previously would be needed after the player came out. I don't understand where the confusion would arise from.

Last edited by Arkadin; 11-24-2007 at 04:32 PM.
Old 11-29-2007, 08:52 AM

Eons ago I signed up at Amazon to be notified when the BD-UP5000 became available; they emailed me this morning.

The pre-order is up at Amazon they're saying Jan. 15, with a price of $799.99 ($999.99 MSRP).

Seems kind of dumb to wait & launch just after the holiday shopping season; I got tired of waiting and went with an A35 & BD-30 recently - for a little more than this will cost.
Old 11-29-2007, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CochiseGuy View Post
Eons ago I signed up at Amazon to be notified when the BD-UP5000 became available; they emailed me this morning.

The pre-order is up at Amazon they're saying Jan. 15, with a price of $799.99 ($999.99 MSRP).

Seems kind of dumb to wait & launch just after the holiday shopping season; I got tired of waiting and went with an A35 & BD-30 recently - for a little more than this will cost.

i got that email too, im going to keep an eye on this and see how the final reviews turn out (also if they support w/ software upgrades as well as toshiba does)