Dual Format player now shipping! - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-21-2007, 09:31 AM

Default Dual Format player now shipping!

For all those interested in the new LG Dual Format player, it is no longer on Circuit City or Best Buy online as a coming soon. You can add it to your cart and supposedly it ships within one business day. Hope this helps out anyone who is looking to pick this up!
Old 01-21-2007, 10:24 AM

This dual format player would be a real format war killer if it wasn't for the fact that it cost $1200. If it was around the $900 mark I could see some people saying "Why buy the $800 Samsung, I can play both formats for $100 more" Same with with HD DVD "Wow, why would I buy the $500 HD DVD player when I could spend $400 more and get the dual format player, after all $400 is less than the cheapest Blu-Ray player on the market"

But $1200 is too expensive, might as well buy a stand alone HD DVD and Blu-Ray for a total of $1300. At least that way you have a good looking HD DVD and Blu-Ray player.
Old 01-21-2007, 10:38 AM

I totally agree with you on that Michael. I was just letting anyone who wanted one know it is available!
Old 01-21-2007, 10:43 AM

I wonder if Best Buy is going to have one of these on Display. I would really like to see it.
Old 01-21-2007, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelHDDVD View Post
This dual format player would be a real format war killer if it wasn't for the fact that it cost $1200. If it was around the $900 mark I could see some people saying "Why buy the $800 Samsung, I can play both formats for $100 more" Same with with HD DVD "Wow, why would I buy the $500 HD DVD player when I could spend $400 more and get the dual format player, after all $400 is less than the cheapest Blu-Ray player on the market"

But $1200 is too expensive, might as well buy a stand alone HD DVD and Blu-Ray for a total of $1300. At least that way you have a good looking HD DVD and Blu-Ray player.
IMO, $500 is too expensive.
Old 01-21-2007, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelHDDVD View Post

I still wouldn't go anywhere NEAR it as long as it doesn't fully support HD DVD and all its capabilites, also.
Old 01-21-2007, 05:02 PM

I have read that it will not support full HD DVD capabilities..........I'm staying away from this machine
Old 01-21-2007, 06:14 PM

It doesn't have the endorsement of the HD-DVD promotional Group, because of the HDi inabilities.
If the player gets released with the HD logo, they will get sued.

http://www.cepro.com/news/editorial/17467.html
Old 01-21-2007, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peteran View Post
It doesn't have the endorsement of the HD-DVD promotional Group, because of the HDi inabilities.
If the player gets released with the HD logo, they will get sued.

http://www.cepro.com/news/editorial/17467.html
This has actually made me wonder what could be done about retailers mentioning the HD DVD playability in their advertisements for this machine.

Circuit City: http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/LG-Su...oductDetail.do

Best Buy: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1165610378688

"HD DVD" all over the pages. Though Circuit City gets a point for adding an asterik at the bottom of the page mentioning that it doesn't support HDi, and Best Buy gets a point for actually spelling "HD DVD" correctly without the hyphen.

But yeah, will the average consumer ever notice that the player's not actually approved by the HD DVD group when the logo and "plays HD DVD!" is written all over the surrounding advertisements?

...of course, which average consumer would consider spending $1200 on a movie player anyway?
Old 01-21-2007, 11:53 PM
noobydoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by imdaly View Post
This has actually made me wonder what could be done about retailers mentioning the HD DVD playability in their advertisements for this machine.

Circuit City: http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/LG-Su...oductDetail.do

Best Buy: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1165610378688

"HD DVD" all over the pages. Though Circuit City gets a point for adding an asterik at the bottom of the page mentioning that it doesn't support HDi, and Best Buy gets a point for actually spelling "HD DVD" correctly without the hyphen.

But yeah, will the average consumer ever notice that the player's not actually approved by the HD DVD group when the logo and "plays HD DVD!" is written all over the surrounding advertisements?

...of course, which average consumer would consider spending $1200 on a movie player anyway?
Mentioning HD DVD as a feature is fine. Note that the LOGO is different artwork, copyrighted would not be allowed.