LG Lowers Price of 'Super Blu' HD DVD/Blu-ray Player - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 08-14-2007, 11:24 AM
HDD Founder

Default LG Lowers Price of 'Super Blu' HD DVD/Blu-ray Player

posted earlier this am:

Quote:
With the arrival of Samsung's $1,049 dual-format player on the horizon for this fall, LG has lowered the price of its existing BH100 HD DVD/Blu-ray player by $200.

The first dual-format player to hit stores shelves, LG's BH100 has remained at its original retail price of $1,199 since its introduction earlier this year.

Of course, even at its new reduced price of $999, the LG player remains good deal more expensive than buying two separate standalone players (Toshiba's HD-A2 and Sony's BDP-S300 retail at a combined cost of $898), but it's certainly a step in the right direction.

This latest pricecut from LG comes just a couple months before Samsung's planned BDP-UP5000 is scheduled to hit store shelves. That deck was previously announced with a retail price $1,049. Unlike the LG player, the Samsung is slated to include full support of both BD-Java and HDi, as well as web-enabled features on both formats.

No word yet from Samsung on any price drops for its upcoming BDP-UP5000, but we wouldn't be surprised if it hit the market at something below its originally announced MSRP.
http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/sh..._Price_of_Supe
Old 08-14-2007, 11:28 AM

This is natural, once more hybrids become available, it is inevitable that they will be competing with each other to bring the price down - and these are just MSRP, they will sell for quite a bit lower than that.
Old 08-14-2007, 11:38 AM

Is LG coming out with a better dual player than the current crippled one?
Old 08-14-2007, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1080p View Post
Is LG coming out with a better dual player than the current crippled one?
I would say there is an extremely good possibility that LG is working on a new hybrid player with full HDi support. LG has long been known to support and release multi-format hardware. Samsung is also their biggest rival, so I doubt they will sit around and let themselves be outdone.

In other news, I've seen the LG player on sale online for as little as $700 already, so the MSRP price drop doesn't surprise me at all...
Old 08-14-2007, 12:59 PM
HD Adult Movie Enthusiast

boo yeah! now the waiting people can afford a player and they can see both formats worry free... format war will no longer be a player war once these babs come down in price... it'll just be sony and disney vs. universal and the wiensteins... and we can be like... lol... keep ur damn formats... out players will play them... and ps3 fanboys will still cry that they can't watch the matrix or hot fuzz on their ps3s... if u have a ps3, just trade it in for a dual format player or get the 360 with add on drive and stop crying about universal liking hd dvd... playstation 3 sucks anyways. with the whole 261 games and accesories listed on eb games (many pre releases not coming out for a year and accesoies dont count) they got a lot of winner games on ps3... lol. if u really want a cheap blueray player, private message me and i'll give u a link that gets u a samsung player for 300 refurbished.
Old 08-14-2007, 01:03 PM

If I was to buy a dual player it would not be this LG player that's for sure!

Sicking with my $199 HD DVD add on
Old 08-14-2007, 01:07 PM
Formerly MrENGLISH

its still an overpriced crippled player p_-
Old 08-14-2007, 01:33 PM

what exactly is wrong with LG's player? Aside from the lack of HDi support, I haven't found anything wrong with the store demo model.
Old 08-14-2007, 01:44 PM

Good to see them coming down. If/when LG release an updated player I hope to see them both drop in price fast; this is where the so called war will end in my opinion anyway.
Old 08-14-2007, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUHNAHTIK View Post
what exactly is wrong with LG's player? Aside from the lack of HDi support, I haven't found anything wrong with the store demo model.
Your right. Apart from the HDi, the player has been given positive reviews for it's pq of hd dvd and blu-ray capabilities. However if I was in the market for a dual player, I would wait for the Dennon or the Onnyko(?) to lower in price. I heard that Samsung is releasing a dual player this fall. I would look at these players first before the LG.