LG Electronics announces dual-format player - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-04-2007, 01:41 AM

Default LG Electronics announces dual-format player

http://www.hdguru.com/

Quote:
LG Electronics has just announced it will introduce the first dual format high definiton disc player at CES. The player will accomidate HD DVD and Blu-ray discs. The new twin format HD player will be available for sale in the US in early 2007.
The end of the war may be near...
Old 01-04-2007, 02:09 AM

I'm pretty much stunned by this.

This and Warners disc announcement will change things in ways that many just could not see.

CES is going to rock.
Old 01-04-2007, 02:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post
I'm pretty much stunned by this.

This and Warners disc announcement will change things in ways that many just could not see.

CES is going to rock.

I actually think the Warner announcement may have more impact. You will only need one sku, all of the product can be targeted at either market, plus there is less confusion for the customer, the disc can be played on either HD player type. This probably also reduces licensing fees since it is a single product.

I could easily see other studios following suite, there are so many advantages to it.
Old 01-04-2007, 02:14 AM

Yes in a way they are complementary.

Universal players create an issue for retailers and studios both. Total HD neatly sidesteps that problem. Now I can purchase a Universal and get some titles in Total HD format and some in their respective formats knowing I can play everything.
Old 01-04-2007, 02:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blurry View Post
I could easily see other studios following suite, there are so many advantages to it.
The question is cost though.

What is involved in making this disc. Who do you pay royalties to? HD DVD? Blu-Ray? Both? Does this make the disc more expensive?
Old 01-04-2007, 02:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtyper View Post
The question is cost though.

What is involved in making this disc. Who do you pay royalties to? HD DVD? Blu-Ray? Both? Does this make the disc more expensive?
I don't have a direct answer to that, but I think DVD royalties are pretty minimal nowadays. It probably will only cost marginally more than a Blu-ray only release (but I don't know this for a fact).
Old 01-04-2007, 10:25 PM

Here is a link with some more specs on the dual format player:

http://www.hometoys.com/news.php4?se...ew&id=16371351
Old 01-04-2007, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vooswing View Post
How can you find articles from the future? lol... Any articles on who will win the Ohio State vs Florida game... I'll split the winnings from the bet with you
Yeah, I had the same thought when I saw the phrasing of the article: "LG ELECTRONICS UNVEILS NEW SUPER MULTI BLUE DUAL-FORMAT DRIVE AT INTERNATIONAL CES".

But the article itself is interesting. $1200 for the unit is a decent starting point, though they will need to come down somewhat to compete against cheap HD DVD players.
Old 01-04-2007, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blurry View Post
Here is a link with some more specs on the dual format player:

http://www.hometoys.com/news.php4?se...ew&id=16371351
If the initial price is at $1,200 then it won't be long before I end up buying one of these babies.
Old 01-05-2007, 08:24 AM
Pegasaur

Since the Blu-ray boxes are topped with a blue color band and the HD-DVD boxes are topped with red, does this mean that the dual discs will have a purple band on top?