Dual-Format LG Player With 10 Free Discs @ Best Buy - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 07-27-2007, 02:49 AM
HDD Founder

Default Dual-Format LG Player With 10 Free Discs @ Best Buy

Posting a story about this in the am...

Quote:
The format-neutral crowd finally got its own free disc deal this week, thanks to a new online promotion for LG's dual-format high-def disc player.

While both the HD DVD and Blu-ray camps have each offered their own "Five Discs Free" offers for consumers who buy single-format players in their format, those who've opted to embrace both formats with LG's Super Blu High-Definition Multiplayer haven't enjoyed the benefit of such incentives... until now.

Earlier this week, Best Buy unveiled its own "Ten Discs Free" offer with purchase of LG's dual format player. And even better than the existing format-specific free disc deals, Best Buy is allowing its customers to chose the free discs from its entire online selection of high-def discs on both formats (excluding pre-orders and box sets).
More info:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....&type=category
Old 07-27-2007, 10:36 AM

But doesnt this LG dual-format player not allow HD-DVD's to use the picture in picture features?

If its true, than it is worth waiting for the Samsung dual-format since it would have all the perks.
Old 07-27-2007, 11:09 AM

Bust Buy Offers Dual-Format LG Player With Ten Free HD DVD, Blu-ray Discs

Is that a typo on the title or is it a metaphor?
Old 07-27-2007, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleM13 View Post
But doesnt this LG dual-format player not allow HD-DVD's to use the picture in picture features?

If its true, than it is worth waiting for the Samsung dual-format since it would have all the perks.
Correct.

Now all we have to do is wait for the Samsung player to be out for 6 months, and then take advantage of the same type of sale when Samsung decides to promote it with free movies.

I would NOT touch the LG. Not only does it not support the HDI in HD-DVD. It also does not (and most likely will not) support BDj. I don't believe that it supports HDMI 1.3. And I've heard that it does not support HD-DVD very well on Sound. I thought I read a spec sheet that has it unable to produce 5.1 when TrueHD is selected for HD-DVD. I believe it has NO ethernet port (so no web features from your new "300" HD-DVD).

I know they have had firmware upgrades. So if anyone has it, please correct me. I would love to know if these issues have been taken care of.
Old 07-27-2007, 12:02 PM

They must be pretty desperate to get that expensive boat anchor off the market.
Old 07-27-2007, 12:06 PM
Founding Member

Not desperate enough...

$250 worth of free movies still makes that a $950 POS... lol
Old 07-27-2007, 04:38 PM

Now if they sold it for $120.00 with 10 free discs, I MIGHT consider it...
Old 07-27-2007, 04:49 PM

while this machine doesnt sound that great, i am definately intrested in upgradeing my current hd dvd player to a dual format player, just not the one best buy is offering right now.
maybe that samsung one comming out, but def not this machine
Old 07-27-2007, 07:29 PM

Bestbuy is probably trying to move this model in anticipation of the more complete and lesser priced Samsung Duo. Too bad it still won't entice many buyers at that price...
Old 07-27-2007, 08:17 PM

LG representative claims they sell enough of them to not need to lower the price - it's a pretty quick, sweet player of either format. No HD-DVD benefits (Anything! No PiP, No HDI, No HD-DVD Menus, No Preview screens, just straight to movie - which, by the way is awesome ...) but a full Blu Ray player. The Samsung is retail $1049, maybe about $900 street, but it is a Samsung ... This is a sweet deal.