Avatar Problems.. New Samsung firmware coming ?? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 04-28-2010, 08:57 AM

Default Avatar Problems.. New Samsung firmware coming ??

I thought I would start a new topic regarding apparent non-playback issues with the BD-UP5000.

Apparently, Samsung has advised that an update is being worked on right now and should be released shortly ??

http://www.avrev.com/home-theater-ne...bd-up5000.html
Old 04-28-2010, 06:31 PM

New firmware just released!

http://www.samsung.com/us/support/se...&find_button=#
Old 04-28-2010, 07:14 PM

Cool!

Must have just been in the last few hours.

I will not have a chance to play with it yet as I am all out of burnable discs. Oh well, I have not picked up Avatar yet anyway.

I wonder if Samsung was feeling generous and included any nice little extras for us??

Old 05-02-2010, 06:46 PM

Glad that I do not have a Samsung Player.
Old 05-02-2010, 10:44 PM

Default The 1200 Model has issues too

The timeline comes up as a chapter changes over with their new avatar firmware 2.8
Old 05-03-2010, 01:16 AM

If only I knew what these protection measures are supposed to accomplish. Presumably it is to prevent people from copying it. But to copy it I would need to have it, and if I already had it why would I copy it? Is it to prevent people from copying it and selling it? But who would buy it if you can get it for free using p2p?

So other than making life misserable for consumers what is the point?
Old 05-03-2010, 02:55 AM

I posted a thread about about a year ago that Blu-ray is designed to allow changing of DRM whenever movie studios feel like the need to change the DRM. This will cause many Blu-ray players to become incompatible with some of the newer Blu-ray movies that have the new DRM. The first time that happened was when The Day After Tomorrow came out with a new DRM. When Hollywood movie studios decide to change the DRM, they don't think that many existing Blu-ray players out there will not have up to date firmware that is capable to play the movies.

Avatar is repeating the DRM incompatibility history.

Bigger brand Blu-ray player manufacturers will try to update the firmware to be compatible but a more interesting question is the no name brand cheap Blu-ray players. Those players that are made in China often changed the model after a few months. What guarantee will the buyers have to ensure when newer Blu-ray movies change the DRM again, those cheap players have any firmware update?

Second is for non-technical users. Do they even understand what updating firmware is? Few have their Blu-ray players connected to the internet, and non-BD Live capable Blu-ray players don't have Ethernet port.
Old 05-03-2010, 04:25 AM

I guess it's because that once the copy protection on DVD was broken it stayed broken, there was no way to go back and fix it. Also with DVDs if you strip the extras, the unwanted sound tracks and convert it from MPEG2 TO MPEG4, you can squeeze it below one gigabyte. So a 500GB hard drive could hold your entire library.

Bluray rips would fill the same drive after 10-15 movies, and unlike DVD the only way to squeeze it is to accept a degradation of picture quality. If you ever got a bluray rip off the internet you will probably have noticed that even if the resolution is higer, the colors and sound are no better than DVD quality.

But again it doesn't prevent piracy. A quick search of any p2p site will show a multitude of Avatar bluray rips in 480p, 720p and 1080p. So if I wanted to I could pirate this movie, ironically if I had an incompatible Bluray player and no firmware update, I would have no choice but to get a pirate copy.
Old 05-03-2010, 08:08 AM

DRM is EVIL
Old 05-03-2010, 02:49 PM

It's a shame they fixed this when they could have marketed it as a feature.