I Was There: My Observations - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-11-2011, 01:51 AM

Default I Was There: My Observations

This was my fourth CES in the past dozen years. Unfortunately this was also the most disappointing CES yet. It just seemed that there wasn't anything terribly exciting and there wasn't the usual buzz in the air. Lots of folks just going through the motions.

I spent Thursday at the Venetian checking out the high end gear. Met Jeff Rowland which was cool. Learned that B&K is in receivership and is being taken over by ADI. Can't remember the name of the beautiful glass Danish speakers I heard, $325,000 speakers each with a $95,000 mono block amp and they were blasting Rammstein on them which was awesome! Pass Labs was playing something that sounded awful and kept distorting. The reps at Martin Logan were completely toasted, but their new Summit speakers sounded awesome.

Friday was spent on the main show floor and was just so packed that it was impossible to enjoy anything about it. Motorola's new phones were very impressive. Dolby's booth was nice and they had a great theater set up but the center channel was really low. Waited to see the Toshiba glasses free 3DTV and was surprised at how long they let us stick around and check them out. They are definitely 3D, but you need to be standing in the exact right spot and there was an incredible amount of screen door and pixelating. Those TVs are nowhere near primetime but are for sure a step in that direction. Monster cable had a pretty sweet Tron Audi R8, the body was a reflective silver and the wheels and vents had blue lights like a Tron light cycle. In the Audi booth at the North Hall there was another R8 that was matte black that also looked super sick!

Saturday was a day off to rest my weary legs. Bet $100 on the money line for the Seahawks to win and thus won $450!

Headed back to the main floor on Sunday and it was much quieter, much more enjoyable! Most impressive things seen that day, a 4K/2K TV from JVC that looked insanely amazing! Really excited that this will be our future TV viewing! Most impressive 3D TV was from LG, they had one playing a clip of sports and car racing and the 3D effect was immersive and very well done. And unlike the Mitsubishi 3DTVs, the 3D LGs didn't completely dim the picture. Also great was the dts Neo X 11.1 demo. Even though they weren't using the greatest speakers or receiver the demo sounded great! Plus each person at the demo got a classy white dts baseball cap and a 2D/3D dts MA 7.1 demo blu ray disk!

That's about it, just thought I would share. Feel free to ask any questions.
Old 01-11-2011, 02:13 AM

DTS baseball hat? Ha ha I'd wear that just so people could go WTF?
Old 01-11-2011, 12:57 PM

Reguarding the 4K tv from JVC. How big was it and what kind of source were they feeding it. Bitrate used and any more detail would be welcomed. I imagine its probably the same scale of wow going from dvd to bd. I really wish they would have not jumped on 3d and just went higher resolution instead. I am ready for the jump.

Also what are they saying about 4K for the consumer as far as time frame? 5 years from now?
Old 01-11-2011, 05:40 PM

It looked to be about a 40". No idea on what they were using as source material because it was hidden away somewhere. I would say that yes, the DVD to BD jump is about equal to the HD to 4K. It's funny how when hi def first came out it felt like you were then looking through a window, however now that we have gotten used to it it doesn't feel that way anymore. 4K/2K was a lot closer to the looking out of a window effect. Keep in mind that accoring to the guy there this was not a true 4K TV but what he referred to as 4K/2K. No idea on timeframe. It's amazing how some of these manufacturers spend millions of dollars at CES and then they have a guy working there that hardly speaks English. Kind of like at the LG booth, a HUGE booth and then you read the selling points that they list next to the TVs and such and they are just full of broken English.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipvideo View Post
Reguarding the 4K tv from JVC. How big was it and what kind of source were they feeding it. Bitrate used and any more detail would be welcomed. I imagine its probably the same scale of wow going from dvd to bd. I really wish they would have not jumped on 3d and just went higher resolution instead. I am ready for the jump.

Also what are they saying about 4K for the consumer as far as time frame? 5 years from now?
Old 01-11-2011, 06:56 PM

That is strange. Kind of like a CSR on the phone based out of India. They only know what they tell you and that aint much. LOL. I figured it would look pretty close to real. Can you imagine if it looked that good at 40 inches how good it would look on a 10 foot wide screen like we have? OMG. I cant wait. ANd your right about how when we first started watching 1080p sources. It was like WOW. Now I am so used to it that even the lower bitrate stuff start feeling like bad dvd's. LOL. I am ready to move on now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLFalconsFAN View Post
It looked to be about a 40". No idea on what they were using as source material because it was hidden away somewhere. I would say that yes, the DVD to BD jump is about equal to the HD to 4K. It's funny how when hi def first came out it felt like you were then looking through a window, however now that we have gotten used to it it doesn't feel that way anymore. 4K/2K was a lot closer to the looking out of a window effect. Keep in mind that accoring to the guy there this was not a true 4K TV but what he referred to as 4K/2K. No idea on timeframe. It's amazing how some of these manufacturers spend millions of dollars at CES and then they have a guy working there that hardly speaks English. Kind of like at the LG booth, a HUGE booth and then you read the selling points that they list next to the TVs and such and they are just full of broken English.