The year for 3D? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-06-2010, 06:36 PM

Default The year for 3D?

Wow, reading engadget today and this year seems to be the year for 3D.

I'm still not sure why it's being pushed so much, but at this rate, we'll probably be seeing 3D adoption outpacing HD adoption.

What's everyones thoughts on it all?
Old 01-06-2010, 07:34 PM

I simply wanna know how there supposed to fit up to 50% more data per disc without reducing quality. Sort of defeats my whole investment in blu-ray if they lower bitrates and further compress the data now.
Old 01-06-2010, 08:02 PM
Formerly "HDTV Addict"

Yep - CES is chock full of 3D announcements:

New 3DTV's
New 3D BD players
New 3D channels

Looks like the actual kick off will be this summer.
Old 01-06-2010, 10:02 PM

No, People didnt rush out for Blu ray and they sure arent going to rush out for 3D. Blu is doing good now because players are cheaper.
3D will cost alot more then what people are willing to pay for. Give it 3-5 years before it becomes big. IMHO.

I do plan to get a new TV this year but I doubt Im going to fork out the cash for a 3D TV. I dont plan to spend more then $700.
Old 01-06-2010, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master X View Post
No, People didnt rush out for Blu ray and they sure arent going to rush out for 3D. Blu is doing good now because players are cheaper.
3D will cost alot more then what people are willing to pay for. Give it 3-5 years before it becomes big. IMHO.

I do plan to get a new TV this year but I doubt Im going to fork out the cash for a 3D TV. I dont plan to spend more then $700.
Yea you won't get a 3D TV for that price.

3D channels this year aren't even going to be 24/7 channels. They're going to be registered and then have specific events.

I'll wait 2-4 years for a 3D HDTV.

1) Technology will be better/more reliable
2) Cheaper
3) I just bought a 50v10 )
Old 01-06-2010, 11:38 PM

Yeah. I love your comments you all. I just posted some information in this year's CES section. You have to go to cnet.com and look at that Sony Bravia 3D TV series it looks sick. Peace...
Old 01-07-2010, 05:22 AM

IMO, I think it's too early to get 3D TVs/BD players out. Although players and TVs have come down significantly, they're not to the point of how CRT TVs and non HDMI DVD players were.

Or maybe in the grand scheme of things, 3D monitors and players might be the things that help push regular TVs and players down to near DVD players?

And to be completely honest, there aren't that many good 3D movies out to justify buying 3D tech anyway. And with some of the good ones, such as Coraline, it just means there's gonna be double dipping in order to get the "better" 3D experience.

I'm happy with my 120Hz Samsung. It has a decent refresh rate and I love the color output. I prefer live motion to 3D. And who's not to say 3D TVs who succumb to 120Hz models after the initial release of the first gen models?

Oh well, maybe when I'm done with school, I'll be able to afford whatever's top of the line.
Old 01-07-2010, 11:46 AM

Too much of an investment is required. A new TV, Receiver or Prepro with HDMI 1.4, new Blu-ray player, new HDMI cables, and glasses that give me a headache spells FLOP to me. Instead they should come out with a holigraphic device instead.
Old 01-07-2010, 12:01 PM

The studios realized they couldn't use Blu-ray and HDTVs as a premium products to strip the consumer of extra profit. They had to make Blu-ray the replacement for DVD because the sales of that format are falling off faster than expected. And the HDTV market is now very competitive and the margins have dropped significantly. So as a way of getting a premium product out there, they are pushing 3D tech which will have the higher margins that help boost their profitability.

Don't mistake what the industry is pushing for what the public is interested in. We won't know weather 3D is a relative success or not for another 2-3 years.
Old 01-07-2010, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diablo View Post
Too much of an investment is required. A new TV, Receiver or Prepro with HDMI 1.4, new Blu-ray player, new HDMI cables, and glasses that give me a headache spells FLOP to me. Instead they should come out with a holigraphic device instead.
It is too much. I just realized that we need to buy a new receiver if we want to still continue hearing our 3D movies in lossless audio.

I mean, this is just too expensive. Having to buy 5 expensive pieces of equipment just to sit down and watch Avatar 3D? (in many cases rebuying equipment)

I was going to be an early adopter, but the receiver requirement might have killed my enthusiasm. Also, while HMDI 1.3 is possible with 3D, it's downgraded, so looks like our PS3s may not be ideal for 3D viewing