JVC debuts its first Blu-ray player! - Page 2 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-09-2009, 10:30 AM

i might try their new BD player if and when i get another SA player. i've had good experiences with their stuff.
Old 01-09-2009, 10:58 AM

If memory serves they've had players out in Japan for quiet sometime. This is just the first one they have released in the US.

As for JVC products, they usually have good reviews. I agree their receivers are hot but considering they are the size of a dvd player that makes sense.

In regards to this player and all the other new vendors in the Blu arena, I would sit back and let someone else do the testing and reevaluate my thoughts on how well these new players are working say six months from now. While I'm sure the players will be fine my concern is how long it will take these new vendors to get a firmware update out as soon as another disc comes along that is poorly authored or for some reason that is incompatible and refusing to play.
Old 01-11-2009, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazzeto View Post
i've had 2 JVC receivers and never had a single problem with them, their projectors and DLP TVs were widly accepted as being top notch. Even their value oriented LCD's provide a very good value for the dollar.
I concur, my Zero 10 Reference Speakers are still going strong. I think I'll take a look at the player when it arrives. I've always had a soft spot for JVC.
Old 01-11-2009, 12:49 AM

Welcome to blu-ray!
Old 01-11-2009, 04:06 AM

The JVC MP3/CD player head unit I had for 2 years (until I got a new car) served me well...it even had a USB port (that recognized flash drives at least as large at 16GB) with undocumented support for Ogg Vorbis.
Old 01-14-2009, 02:30 PM

JVC makes some decent stuff. I have a feeling though that Panasonic is still going to be king of the stand alone player market for a while, along with Sony. The Pioneer players are just too much money right now.
Old 01-14-2009, 02:34 PM

Panasonic is in danger of losing that title... They still have confirmed - unfixed problems with universal BD-Live... Even samsung fixed their issues with universal and bd-live already.
Old 01-14-2009, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bone crusher View Post
JVC makes some decent stuff. I have a feeling though that Panasonic is still going to be king of the stand alone player market for a while, along with Sony. The Pioneer players are just too much money right now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazzeto View Post
Panasonic is in danger of losing that title... They still have confirmed - unfixed problems with universal BD-Live... Even samsung fixed their issues with universal and bd-live already.
Wow. I was going to post a "hate to break the news you guys" statement here, since JVC used to be owned by Matsushita (and thereby, a sister company to Panasonic), ....but lo and behold: JVC is now in bed with Kenwood (it would appear). <ick>

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JVC
http://www.hometheaterblog.com/homet...ita-sells-jvc/
http://www.jk-holdings.com/en/

I've actually very much liked JVC's products over the years, and found them to be quite reliable (and a good value). But, if they're with Kenwood now, I may have to revise my view when contemplating new products from them. I've had my share of Kenwood clunkers.
Old 01-15-2009, 02:01 AM

I haven't owned many Kenwood products but the one I did have was quite revolutionary, the TrueX 72X CD-ROM drive, which used 7 lasers to boost the read speed. When it worked, it was a sight to behold but there were some QC issues with the design and they abandoned the project shortly thereafter (and of course mine became defective).