Panasonic Gets It - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-09-2008, 11:23 PM

Default Panasonic Gets It

http://www.hollywoodinhidef.com/blog_detail.php?id=161

"

January 9, 2008
Panasonic Gets It

Sony gets all the attention for Blu-ray and so many other innovations, but Panasonic has increasingly been demonstrating its own innovation in regards to the marketing of Blu-ray and hi-def in general.
That has never been more in evidence than at this week's Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas where Panasonic dominated everything from the opening keynote session to the convention exhibit floor and much of the signage and sponsorship placements everywhere in between.

The company even generated the biggest media coverage splash by literally rolling out a whopping 150-inch (13-foot) plasma TV at the opening keynote session that landed on the front page of many newspaper business sections and TV programs.

While much of this could be dismissed as hype and marketing dollars at work, it goes much deeper. Panasonic has arguably been even more aggressive than Sony and every other CE company at promoting Blu-ray for the past year. The company partnered with Disney on the successful mall tour that has been extended this year, was the first to introduce a fully compliant Blu-ray player a couple months ago, and has placed ads seemingly everywhere. Panasonic Hollywood Labs through vp Eisuke Tsuyuzaki is working aggressively with multiple studios to create the most robust Blu-ray Disc presentations and interactive features, including the upcoming Web-connected "Alien vs Predator Vs You" online multi-player game for Fox's summer release of "Alien Vs. Predator."

Panasonic is one of the leading sponsors of the upcoming Olympics in Beijing and has developed many major partnerships with filmmakers and media companies.

But even more importantly, Panasonic's promotion of Blu-ray is clearly and smartly integrated seamlessly into the company's overall hi-def strategy. That is perhaps the most critical part of the whole thing for the benefit of the entire industry.
Blu-ray must become a vital component of the emerging hi-def environment for consumers.

Panasonic president Toshihiro Sakamoto's opening keynote at CES on Monday, similar to Panasonic's media presentation on Sunday that drew long lines of anxious reporters, brilliantly interweaved each new showcased product into the other:

* New Viera plasma TVs: best enjoyed with the full 1080p images from Blu-ray
* New 32GB SD memory card: insert in the SD slot of Blu-ray player
* HD camcorders: playback video via the SD card slot in Blu-ray player (or directly into plasma TVs)
* Wireless Connectivity: uncompressed full HD transmission from Blu-ray player to plasma TV
* Viera Link: control all AV operations and equipment, including Blu-ray, with a single remote
* In-car entertainment system: based on Blu-ray
* Computer drives: Blu-ray playback/recording

There was more, but you get the idea.
In fact, Panasonic's marketing and advertising tagline is "Ideas for Life."
For most consumers, Blu-ray will need to be seen as part of a new hi-def lifestyle choice, not just a slight upgrade from their DVD player.

Panasonic appears to be taking the lead in making that happen."

Thanks to sj001 for orig post.
Old 01-09-2008, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominica View Post
* New Viera plasma TVs: best enjoyed with the full 1080p images from Blu-ray
* New 32GB SD memory card: insert in the SD slot of Blu-ray player
* HD camcorders: playback video via the SD card slot in Blu-ray player (or directly into plasma TVs)
* Wireless Connectivity: uncompressed full HD transmission from Blu-ray player to plasma TV
* Viera Link: control all AV operations and equipment, including Blu-ray, with a single remote
* In-car entertainment system: based on Blu-ray
* Computer drives: Blu-ray playback/recording
Damn. They ARE into blu-ray, aren't they? I never actually thought about it, but almost all the blu-ray displays I've ever seen have been either Disney or Panasonic...
Old 01-10-2008, 08:55 AM

I have to say that whatever they are doing, it was working for me.

Panasonic is the #1 CE I have been considering for my future HDTV and Blu-ray player needs.
Old 01-10-2008, 09:19 AM

I agree completely. Panasonic is really taking full advantage of Blu-Ray, and is way ahead of every other ce company simply due to the somewhat affordable 1.1 bd-30!
Kudos to you Panasonic--my NEW best bd friend!!!!!(I own the bd-30 btw)

and thanks for making all us red leaners here feel a WHOLE lot better about the future.
Old 01-10-2008, 05:20 PM

Never bet against Panasonic, they pretty much always get things right.
Old 01-10-2008, 05:21 PM

Agreed. I have the BD-P30 and love it!!!!!
Old 01-10-2008, 05:26 PM

another DMP-BD30 owner here and lovin it.
Old 01-10-2008, 05:38 PM

More proof that blu-ray is an association of CEs and not just Sony.

I think I saw that TV on G4 and holy mother of god... that thing is HUGE.
Old 01-10-2008, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dommie View Post
Agreed. I have the BD30 and love it!!!!!
Another BD30 owner here and love it as well!

I think Panasonic is great, my first HDTV is the 30" DirecView CT-30WX64 (it's in the Kitchen now, LOL).
Old 01-10-2008, 05:54 PM

I've always been a huge fan of panasonic innovation. I'd consider them for a second blu-ray player after a year or so. Love Samsung for the TV's though. Lots of great manufacturers.