Toshiba main CES press release - emphasis on 'Digital Life Innovation' - Page 10 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-10-2008, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombieflanders View Post
First of all, MPEG-2 doesn't automatically create inferior encodings.
Well no, but you obviously can't create an MPEG-2 encoding that will rival a 25 mbps AVC or VC-1 stream and that will still fit on a Blu-Ray or HD DVD disc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombieflanders View Post
Second of all, HD DVD not only allows for the use of MPEG-2, it's been used before, most notably on the HDNet and Concert Hot Spot releases.
Thanks for clearing that up.

Kevin
Old 01-10-2008, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bepps View Post
The reason that I responded to you in the first place is because, you picked through my comments focusing on tech errors and then ingnored my bottom line in your conclusion.
I did focus on your technical errors -- that was the point of my reply. I did not, however, ignore your bottom line. In fact, I noted that I agreed with your bottom line immediately prior to pointing out your technical errors ("I'm an HD-DVD fan, and I think you did a great job pointing out that it is a more mature, consumer-friendly platform").

Quote:
Both Formats look great, with Blu-Ray having an edge in the long run. I just beleive that HD-DVD has gotten a bad rap by people who for some reason just wanted to bash it without understnding what it was capable of.
Agreed.

Quote:
It's great that you know so much about the technological side of these formats, but your waisting your time correcting me.
Whether or not it's a waste of my time to attempt to educate you on the technical details is up to you. Clearly I'm not infallible -- (note my blunder regarding MPEG-2 and HD DVD) -- I was just offering what insights I could.

Quote:
I can afford both formats, and own both. If Blu-Ray starts releasing disc's in the future that cost $50.00 each or more, it won't bother me, I paid $100.00 for a Special Edition Laser Disc of Blade Runner back in the day, but why pay that if you don't have to? HD-DVD offered a very quality compatible, and affordable alternative.
Agreed.

Quote:
I think that it's exit at this point is premature, and does not benefit the consumer, but hey, what do I know, I'm just some rabid fanboy.
Alright, I handled your reply badly. I apologize. You're clearly not a rabid fanboy anymore than I am. I purchased an HD-A3 a couple days after Christmas and it was terrific. I reluctantly brought it back since it was within the return policy deadline, but I wasn't happy about it. I won't be buying Blu-Ray until the dust settles and they emerge the clear winner, and even then I won't do it until there are sub-$200 2.0 profile players; at that point I won't feel like I'm getting robbed.

Kevin
Old 01-10-2008, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericede View Post
I never post on blu-ray.com anymore because they're like pod people. It's a bunch of people always patting each other on the back and after every story they post one and two word statements like:
Great!!!!! or Excellent News!!! (whatever it takes to hit the minimum)

No offense E-Dog but you're one of the worst on that site. After every store you pop up just to say "Thanks for the story". You only pop up here to rub something in. You and the guy with the smoking dog avatar (too lazy to look him up). Other than some good story releases that site is a joke.

Showing up here just to say "Now that WB has crossed over how does it feel to own a dead format?" is rediculous.
Glad to see there is one Blu-Ray owner with humility!
Old 01-10-2008, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by codehoser View Post
I did focus on your technical errors -- that was the point of my reply. I did not, however, ignore your bottom line. In fact, I noted that I agreed with your bottom line immediately prior to pointing out your technical errors ("I'm an HD-DVD fan, and I think you did a great job pointing out that it is a more mature, consumer-friendly platform").

Agreed.

Whether or not it's a waste of my time to attempt to educate you on the technical details is up to you. Clearly I'm not infallible -- (note my blunder regarding MPEG-2 and HD DVD) -- I was just offering what insights I could.

Agreed.

Alright, I handled your reply badly. I apologize. You're clearly not a rabid fanboy anymore than I am. I purchased an HD-A3 a couple days after Christmas and it was terrific. I reluctantly brought it back since it was within the return policy deadline, but I wasn't happy about it. I won't be buying Blu-Ray until the dust settles and they emerge the clear winner, and even then I won't do it until there are sub-$200 2.0 profile players; at that point I won't feel like I'm getting robbed.

Kevin
Alright, I feel better now. Good luck with your future purchase, and if you get a little impatient while waiting, theres always the PS3. In my opinion thats the only real Blu-Ray player on the market right now.
Old 01-10-2008, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Alright, I feel better now. Good luck with your future purchase, and if you get a little impatient while waiting, theres always the PS3. In my opinion thats the only real Blu-Ray player on the market right now.
I read an article about the CES booth were they mentioned a PS3 running BD Live (Profile 2.0) content.
Old 01-10-2008, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barricade View Post
Glad to see there is one Blu-Ray owner with humility!
While I would love to see a swift end to this mess I still remember how it felt when Paramount bailed. I didn't take it personally but it certainly made me question this whole format war for a few days (and where blu-ray fit into it). I don't spend my days obsessing over the format war; though I know it may look that way since I work with and am always on a PC.

I don't begrudge HD-DVD owners anything and I regret that this is the end of a format that they have come to admire. I don't think Sony is the great satan (alhough putting that root kit on my Switchfoot CD made me nervous) and I don't think Toshiba is the consumers friend. I think business is business.

What troubles me is Microsoft is already talking about HD content via Xbox live and leaving HD-DVD out of their press conferences. Throwing away HDi is something they'll do without losing any sleep. My focus is having tangible media until the technology for streaming is improved.