Marantz BD8002 Blu-ray Player Due This Spring - Page 3 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-08-2008, 12:43 PM

Obviously, this player is not for J6P. For that type of consumer, price is the number one priority on their list. Quality is usually way down at the bottom, if it is even on the list at all.

On the other hand, this player is meant for the type of consumer where Quality is at the top of the list. Price is way down at the bottom, if it is on the list at all.
Old 01-08-2008, 02:32 PM

you must be really stupid to buy this!!!))
Old 01-08-2008, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coaler View Post
$2100......we should just delete this thread.
wow. some people have that kind of money and want the best video/audio quality and dont care about ridiculous "interactive" features! This player is for the people that have spent 20k+ on their home theater, and there are more of them than you think brrrrroseph, ask anyone who works in a local "high end" audio shop, they will tell you there are more than most would think.
Old 01-08-2008, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garak View Post
Obviously, this player is not for J6P. For that type of consumer, price is the number one priority on their list. Quality is usually way down at the bottom, if it is even on the list at all.

On the other hand, this player is meant for the type of consumer where Quality is at the top of the list. Price is way down at the bottom, if it is on the list at all.
And that's what I like about Blu-ray. There will be something for everyone. HD DVD didn't see this.
Old 01-08-2008, 11:17 PM

Marantz has set themselves as high end HT gear. They are owned by Denon.

Just like INtegra units (which are Onkyo)

With these high end units, you get better quality parts, extreme long standard warranties, in all you get what you pay. These units are fuly loaded.

There will be demand for these units. Just not your regular everyday joe will be able to afford them.
Old 02-02-2008, 11:42 AM

Default Marantz BD8002

For those of you who think this player is overpriced, get a life. Having seen this unit at CES on Marantz's new VP-11S2 projector, for well under $20K, that image blew away ones that I've seen costing well over $100K. Just like anything in life, if you want a moped, go buy a $300 player. For those who want a real quality machine with a power supply and circuitry that produces a clean, stable image with almost no video noise, $2K is cheap. This is the Mercedes. I've sold countless DVD players for many times that much, and for people who actually care about picture quality, this is a relative bargain. There were a lot more expensive setups at the show, none of which came close to this.
Old 02-02-2008, 10:15 PM

You have to take into account people themselves "operate" on all different levels(for lack of a better description). Imagine visiting Bill Gates and you pull up to his massive mansion with incredible stuff everywhere, every bell and whistle you could imagine he has...but you go to his garage and he has a Daewoo Leganza and VW beetle.

If you had a $50k+ home theater(and face it, if any of us were filthy rich we most certainly would) and are accustomed to getting the extra 5% performance you gain from these ultra-premium brands, would you really feel fit putting a sharp(LOL) bd player on your rack....

Obviously the market for high end units like this is small but I think it helps HDM slowly become a legitimate thing, rather than just a fad or this new thing that nobody really knows if it will catch on or not. So I guess what I'm saying is Marantz releasing a $2000 BD player really means nothing to us but in the big picture I think it only helps the cause of HDM.

Last edited by jihzaman; 02-03-2008 at 01:49 AM.
Old 02-02-2008, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crispy98007 View Post
For those of you who think this player is overpriced, get a life. Having seen this unit at CES on Marantz's new VP-11S2 projector, for well under $20K, that image blew away ones that I've seen costing well over $100K. Just like anything in life, if you want a moped, go buy a $300 player. For those who want a real quality machine with a power supply and circuitry that produces a clean, stable image with almost no video noise, $2K is cheap. This is the Mercedes. I've sold countless DVD players for many times that much, and for people who actually care about picture quality, this is a relative bargain. There were a lot more expensive setups at the show, none of which came close to this.
So are you the CEO of Marantz, or just a sales rep.?
Old 02-04-2008, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared View Post
So are you the CEO of Marantz, or just a sales rep.?
No kidding.

I know I wouldn't pay that kind of money for a blu-ray player regardless of whether I could afford it or not (most people don't like paying more for stuff for the sake of paying more for stuff).

On the other hand, I imagine it's not over-priced if enough customers are willing to pay the high price to justify it.

BTW, hearing a salesperson state a product is the Mercedes of the market typically rubs me the wrong way (I've heard it more than a few times). Sell the player on its own merits, not an image of status from something completely unrelated.
Old 02-05-2008, 04:42 PM

I'm looking forward to this unit coming out and no I don't think it is overpriced. I think most of the people here are just cheap-skates.