HD DVD Rallies Consumer Audience in 2007 Driving Nearly One Million Dedicated Player - Page 2 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-07-2008, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super_ME View Post
And this means HD DVD is going to around awhile, no white flag yet, or in the foreseeable future.
Toshiba may wish that to be true, but you can see here and on other forums how the HD DVD faithful are now abandoning the format en masse.

It hasn't got long left to live.
Old 01-07-2008, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeaselSniff View Post
I love the part in the press release about HD DVD being "the official successor to DVD."

bitter bitter bitter.
Actually, it is true. The DVD Forum, which consists of all of the movie companies and CEs all agreed on it, except, maybe, Sony and some others.
Old 01-07-2008, 09:30 AM

Toshiba has probably offerred Disney or Fox a biliion dollars to change....:-#
Old 01-07-2008, 09:32 AM

I'm sure Toshiba will drag HD DVD until the end, which seems to be sooner than expected.
Old 01-07-2008, 09:37 AM

When do we (or do we at all) find out about the current RED studios' intentions for 2008?
Old 01-07-2008, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexpos View Post
When do we (or do we at all) find out about the current RED studios' intentions for 2008?
I read somewhere that Paramount said they have no changes planned. Universal responded with a "no comment."
Old 01-07-2008, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueguy View Post
I read somewhere that Paramount said they have no changes planned. Universal responded with a "no comment."
The actual comments are as follows:
Quote:
Paramount Pictures, a unit of Viacom Inc., plans to continue to support the HD DVD format, a spokeswoman said yesterday. The other remaining Hollywood supporter, General Electric Co.'s Universal Pictures, declined to comment.
Notice how carefully they worded it? There's nothing there that says they won't support Blu-ray. This jibes with the revelation that they left themselves an "out" in the contract.
Old 01-07-2008, 09:50 AM

I think Paramount has contractural obligations to HD. The Universal "no comment" speaks volumes. It would have been very easy for Universal to say they remain committed to HD. The "no comment" IMO means that they are at minimum seriously thinking about going dual format. The Warner announcement may have caught Universal flat-footed. It may take Universal a few weeks to get their ducks in a row and at least go dual.

Sad state of affairs for Paramount if they don't have an out in their HD contract. Who would want to be forced to be HD exlusive through the end of 2008 and miss all of the holiday 2008 media sales?
Old 01-07-2008, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Magoo View Post
I think Paramount has contractural obligations to HD. The Universal "no comment" speaks volumes. It would have been very easy for Universal to say they remain committed to HD. The "no comment" IMO means that they are at minimum seriously thinking about going dual format. The Warner announcement may have caught Universal flat-footed. It may take Universal a few weeks to get their ducks in a row and at least go dual.

Sad state of affairs for Paramount if they don't have an out in their HD contract.
They certainly do:
Quote:
...it is understood that Paramount has reserved the right to switch its backing to Blu-ray.
http://www.ft.com/cms/s/8d56c2a8-bc8...0779fd2ac.html
Old 01-07-2008, 09:55 AM

Don't read so much into two words.

No Comment could mean that there has been no decision made on what to say to the press yet. It could mean the PR director was having a piss when the Journalist called and his assistant had to say something.

Besides, whatever anyone says, as it prooved with Warner, if they have something to announce, they'll announce it when they're ready!