5 Years From Now..... - Page 3 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 05-07-2008, 01:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by int_53185 View Post
Just look at computers from 5 years ago...solitare pushed these dinosaur machines to their limit!
Are you serious? My computer 5 years ago was able to run at above 720p resolution and FAST too... you're dreaming (or have never owned a NEW computer in your life) if you think this statement is true.

I feel 1080p will be the "home" standard for many years to come and only higher resolutions to show up in the theatre, perhaps to attract those that have stopped going due to better home theatre set-ups and don't mind waiting 4 months for the movie to hit home rental/purchase.
Old 05-12-2008, 04:55 AM

On one hand we have the predictions that Blu-ray won't ever replace DVD and on the other we have the predictions that Blu-ray will be replaced by something much better soon. I believe Blu-ray will be the greatest and last 5" shiny media to see widespread ownership. In 5 years, over half of households in the US with an HDTV will own Blu-ray is how I see it. I don't think there will be significant adoption of anything better than 1080p in households within 5 years.

Chris
Old 05-13-2008, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by venk View Post
diminishing returns

just like the jump from 480 to 720 is much more evident than the jump from 720 to 1080
Couldn't agree more, on my 120" screen the jump from DVD to 720p is drastic, while 1080p is noticeable only at times.

My wish for the future is a standard aspect ratio for all films. In the quest for a better viewing experience we have seen higher and higher screen resolutions, an increased need for more and more speakers, televisions screens are getting bigger and bigger...so why are we still looking at black bars? Ditch the Black Bars SERIOUSLY.
Old 07-11-2008, 03:02 PM

I wish people would be happy with what they have now. Blu just came out and is starting to penetrate the market. Now we have these people running around talking about 4k resolutions and wanting that. Technology moves fast, but not that fast.

How about we get through this first before going on? Or are there people that just are never happy?
Old 07-13-2008, 07:53 PM

Dear President Obama,

A few weeks ago, I had an idea that the Department of Energy should form a unit along the lines of the DODs DARPA. This unit would focus on maximizing our energy efficiency, improving and developing new technologies that would furthur the goal of weaning us away from our addiction to carbon based fuels. Initially, I considered naming this unit EARPA (Energy Advanced Research Projects Agency), but settled on a much simpler name.

Just a few days ago, as I refined my idea, I was searching the Internet and was shocked to learn that this very unit does exist its called ARPA-E (Advanced Research Projects Agency Energy) and has existed since 2007 however, its never received any appropriatons until your stimulus plan awarded it $400 million in startup funds.

I am happy that a unit like ARPA-E is finally gettting off the ground and runnning. However, I feel its name is just as ridiculous as EARPA. Both names are obscure, easy to forget, and reek of bumbling, government bureaucracy.

The name I settled upon is simply: Green Team

The Green Team is a name that is much more marketable than ARPA-E.
Its easier for the public to remember and directly connotates what this unit is all about. It is also a name that present and future employees can be proud of, as well as one that other Americans will want to associate with.
I hope you will seriously consider re-naming ARPA-E to the Green Team. Thank you.

Sincerely,

Rob Edmonds
Rindge, NH

Last edited by Nighthawk; 07-10-2009 at 03:03 PM.
Old 07-21-2008, 11:36 PM

citizen, yes i have read the book in highschool and saw the film and had to see the difference from the two. this is going back i would say soph year circa 97-98 ish been a while.

i think five years from now, cgi will improve ever so greatly and nano technology will be both a blessing and a curse.