Warner's TotalHD Discs - Need clarification - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-11-2007, 07:40 AM

Default Warner's TotalHD Discs - Need clarification

I think I understand, but I want to make sure. This is a flipper with both Blu-Ray on one side and HD-DVD on the other? Why would this be such a big success? At first I thought it was a disc that could be played on either player. One movie with all the features just encoded so a Blu-Ray or HD-DVD player could handle it.
Now I just see that they are making a Blu-Ray disc and flipping it and doing an HD-Disc. Now I understand this to be good for Warner. They save on packaging, distribution, shelf space and over all costs. But how does this help Disney or Sony or FOX?
If they do not want to support HD-DVD in any way (and they don't). Then why would they do this disc? I understand for the consumer it would be good. But only as a back way of getting SOny, Disney and Fox to do HD-DVDs.
Am I missing something? Is this a special encoded disc with new features? Is it made a different way that it costs less then a regular Blu-Ray disc? Making it cheaper to make one TOTAL HD disc then a Blu-Ray by itself?
HELP??
I really want to understand. I have read the press releases.
Old 01-11-2007, 07:52 AM
Banned

Sony, Fox and BVHE have no plans to use this format. Only Warner, HBO and New Line so far.
Old 01-11-2007, 07:53 AM

I doubt any other non warner studio is going to support this. It just makes it so Warner can have one SKU per HD title. The disks themselves will be slightly more expensive then either format but not that much more, at least from the press release. Still less then having two SKUs though.

If any other non Warner studio announces support for this I would guess it would be Paramont. But then again they are the only other major studio not taking a side.
Old 01-11-2007, 01:10 PM

I hope that movies still come on HD DVD only and Blu-Ray only discs. I don't want to have to spend $5 extra for a Blu-Ray side which is useless.
Old 01-11-2007, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hersheytx View Post
I understand for the consumer it would be good.
This is the biggest problem I have with them. I absolutely don't think it's good for the consumers, for a few reasons.
A) Price - HD-DVD combo disks already cost more then most Blu-ray disks. Are they trying to suggest replacing the DVD part with Blu-ray will cost roughly the same? Even after paying the Blu-ray royalties?
B) The war - Being neutral and allowing consumers to remain neutral will only extend the war. The war is not good for consumers beyond the fact that they can be the ones to decide who actually wins. The best thing for everyone is to end the war and have one format die so everyone is on the same page.

Dual-format players on the other hand I don't have so much of an issue with. It's no different then someone chosing to buy seperate HD-DVD and Blu-ray players and supporting both.
Old 01-11-2007, 01:51 PM

I haven't seen any mention of either the BDA or DVD forum approving the Total HD format but I see the packaging reflects both Blu-Ray & HD DVD logos. I was just curious if Warner had that approval or if they even need it.
Old 01-11-2007, 04:02 PM

Just hypothetical, but what if all studios started to use this format, I mean once they encode their movie in VC1 or whatever on one side, why not copy it to the other side as well?

But anyway, if this did happen it would mean total neutrality and everything would be up to the consumer, ie, it would be up to whatever player they purchased.
Old 01-11-2007, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recoil View Post
But anyway, if this did happen it would mean total neutrality and everything would be up to the consumer, ie, it would be up to whatever player they purchased.
Which is why I admire WB for this. It is a potentially big consumer enabler.
Old 01-11-2007, 04:27 PM

Could just be business posturing. If they hold the patents to the flipper BD/HD then it blocks another company from doing it or if this becomes the standard, they would have the rights to it. Meh, we'll see, I'd rather two separate releases.
Old 01-11-2007, 04:32 PM

Default ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aodh View Post
Meh, we'll see, I'd rather two separate releases.
Yeah... I just hate the idea of these bastard discs...