What did Universal do right at CES? How about more interactive HD-DVDs? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-10-2007, 11:47 AM

Default What did Universal do right at CES? What about advanced internet connectivity?

There was a lot of FUD coming from this site (and even spilled onto DVS) about Universal blowing it at CES. This is just not true. They said prefer to give specific release dates at another time. That's all.

So does that mean they blew it at CES or that they are waiving their support of HD-DVD? No. In fact they were very present at CES and while other studios were more concerned with release dates, Universal talked about the future of the format and what new features it will offer. This is a more interesting topic to me than release dates.

A picture of Universal President Craig Kornblau with the President of Toshiba and a Microsoft VP at the HD-DVD presentation in which he was quoted talking about HD-DVDs plan to have "more than 600 movies available globally, and offer an advanced level of internet connectivity."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramenator View Post
TThe real exciting stuff announced by Universal is in interactivity. Where is the story and thread on that?
I guess I had to start it myself...
Quote:
Corel's InterVideo is at both the HD-DVD and blu-ray booths. I don't know what is at the blu-ray booth, but the HD-DVD booth (Central 7914 if anyone is there and want to check it out) is using Universals material to showcase this new feature.
Quote:
http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/070107/20070107005033.html?.v=1
Representatives from the HD DVD Promotional Group will be on stage to demonstrate the new HD DVD features running on an Intel® Core(TM) 2 Duo based PC with content authored by Deluxe and provided by Universal. This specially authored title includes additional information on navigation and the location of the Deluxe server with the bonus content.

Last edited by Ramenator; 01-10-2007 at 11:59 AM.
Old 01-10-2007, 01:39 PM

I think what people have gotten caught up on is that Universal didn't announce anything THEMSELVES. While Fox and Lionsgate and BV announced their own releases, Universal seemed more than content to let the HD DVD Promo group show off their upcoming titles.

Blu-ray's CES was all about titles. HD DVD's CES was all about new hardware and advancements in the technology (which BTW is pretty fitting for CES).

No one on the Blu-ray side of the isle today is talking about BD-J, any new interactive features, new players, special features, etc: It's all about what movies are coming out. And if no one announced any new movies on the BD side, they wouldn't have even had a CES showing to talk about.

That gets lost in all this.
Old 01-10-2007, 02:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingerNLG View Post
I think what people have gotten caught up on is that Universal didn't announce anything THEMSELVES. While Fox and Lionsgate and BV announced their own releases, Universal seemed more than content to let the HD DVD Promo group show off their upcoming titles.

Blu-ray's CES was all about titles. HD DVD's CES was all about new hardware and advancements in the technology (which BTW is pretty fitting for CES).

No one on the Blu-ray side of the isle today is talking about BD-J, any new interactive features, new players, special features, etc: It's all about what movies are coming out. And if no one announced any new movies on the BD side, they wouldn't have even had a CES showing to talk about.

That gets lost in all this.
I'm pretty sure all of the Blu-ray exclusive studios touted BD-J on Monday as well as the availability of the 50GB disc.
Old 01-10-2007, 02:02 PM

I've yet to meet a consumer who's more interested in the interactivity of the formats as opposed to the titles they can buy.
Old 01-10-2007, 02:03 PM

Fox/MGM did announce plans to aggressively support BD-Java and BD-50
Old 01-10-2007, 02:09 PM

Quote:
No one on the Blu-ray side of the isle today is talking about BD-J, any new interactive features, new players, special features, etc:
Odd, since I remember a new Samsung player, a Vaio media center, several burners, and bunch of complete and feature spec'd titles being announced, along with demos of two prototypes.

If there's anything that the HD DVD camp should be worried about, it's the fact that what is essentially a non-event (no announcement from Universal) immediately triggered the rending of garments and gnashing of teeth across the community. I was unaware that there were so many that were so tenuous in their support that it took the merest whiff of strange behavior to make them doubt the format (and in some cases, themselves). I doubt they have a lot of people scouring these forums, but if they did, they would be disheartened to see how people reacted. The question is, do they assume that the boards have no influence and continue as before, or do they run damage control? I wouldn't be surprised to see Kornblau make a strong announcement this week or next week to head off the concerns of the connected early adopters, as they are the vast majority of the consumers right now.

Last edited by zombieflanders; 01-10-2007 at 02:13 PM.
Old 01-10-2007, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombieflanders View Post
I've yet to meet a consumer who's more interested in the interactivity of the formats as opposed to the titles they can buy.
Does that mean you still prefer DVD because there are so many titles you can buy on it? Part of what is exciting about the next generation of movies/gaming/home entertainment is all the possibilities of the newer technology. If you don't think having your movie player, game system, PC, music player, all connected to each other and the internet is interesting, then you should be happy with your PS3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombieflanders View Post
I was unaware that there were so many that were so tenuous in their support that it took the merest whiff of strange behavior to make them doubt the format...

I wouldn't be surprised to see Kornblau make a strong announcement this week or next week...
Misinformation might make people who haven't really followed CES think Universal was wafering. Anyone actually there or paying attention saw just how committed Universal is to HD-DVD as CES. Kornblau did make a strong announcement... on Sunday. In case you missed it, I referred to it in opening this thread.
Old 01-10-2007, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Does that mean you still prefer DVD because there are so many titles you can buy on it? Part of what is exciting about the next generation of movies/gaming/home entertainment is all the possibilities of the newer technology. If you don't think having your movie player, game system, PC, music player, all connected to each other and the internet is interesting, then you should be happy with your PS3.
The extras are just that, extras. The main attraction, for me at least, is the movie in HD. I don't buy a sucky movie because it has a ton of extra stuff and I don't avoid a great movie because it has no extras.
Don't get me wrong, I like extras, but it's not the main attraction.
Old 01-10-2007, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobyblue View Post
I'm pretty sure all of the Blu-ray exclusive studios touted BD-J on Monday as well as the availability of the 50GB disc.
In what sense was BD-J talked about? Does BD have picture-in-picture yet or are they still running into problems with that due to the difficulty for developers in working with the format? How about advanced internet connectivity (what Universal has been talking about with HD-DVD?) Did BD talk about that? I heard a lot of talk from BD about release dates. Will those releases be more of the same (movies with little or no high def extras?)
Old 01-10-2007, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueguy View Post
The extras are just that, extras. The main attraction, for me at least, is the movie in HD. I don't buy a sucky movie because it has a ton of extra stuff and I don't avoid a great movie because it has no extras.
Don't get me wrong, I like extras, but it's not the main attraction.
The "main attraction" of the movies in HD are of equal quality in both formats. So why would anyone prefer the format that is not as concerned with complimenting that experience with extras?