Meridian states no HD DVD player forthcoming - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-10-2007, 10:48 AM
Banned

Default Meridian states no HD DVD player forthcoming

http://avzombie.com/blog/2007/01/10/...-announcement/

Quote:
Meridian will not be releasing an HD DVD player anytime soon. So says brand spokesman John Bamford, who claims that he was surprised to read that the company had been announced as a hardware partner by the HD DVD Promotion Group during its Las Vegas CES press event.

“We’re interested in HD DVD, but we’re also interested in Blu-ray,” says Bamford. “Meridian has been helping the HD DVD group with encoding and technical issues but our involvement appears to have been blown up out of all proportion. If we were to launch an HD DVD deck it would not appear for years.”
I have sent an e-mail to Meridian asking them to confirm or deny the HD DVD Promotion Group's CES statement.
Old 01-10-2007, 11:26 AM

That's the same source I read. If true, it's not looking good for the "HD DVD PRG speaks nothing but the truth" crowd.

Last edited by zombieflanders; 01-10-2007 at 02:22 PM.
Old 01-10-2007, 11:33 AM

That would be disappointing if they are not going to release one soon, although in reality they are so expensive that it would not affect the market all that much.

However, I will wait for an announcement that is not a blog (not saying they are wrong, but that is hardly official).
Old 01-10-2007, 11:46 AM

The HD DVD PRG statement says

"...and well-known brands such as Meridian and Onkyo will create HD DVD
players as well..."

Either they outright lied or there is some misunderstanding on what Meridian's communication to them was on their intentions with regards to HD DVD. The truth will hopefully be known soon.
Old 01-10-2007, 11:48 AM

Perhaps what they are saying is that they struck a deal with Meridian to start making HD-DVD players.

If I'm not mistaken it takes several years to go from development to an item that will be available to sell.
Old 01-10-2007, 01:42 PM

It's very wierd. Meridian isn't denying they are providing technology for HD DVD (and BD). But somehow they got lumped in with players.

Hey, if they don't want to make a player I could never afford, that's ok with me.
Old 01-10-2007, 01:59 PM
Banned

Amir says that apparently Meridian will be posting a press release tomorrow on their website that will refute the blog entry and confirm they are going to release an HD DVD player.
Amir says he's friends with Bob Stuart, the chairman of Meridian Audio.

We'll wait and see on this one I guess.
Old 01-10-2007, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobyblue View Post
We'll wait and see on this one I guess.
Well, if Amir did say that, then it is probably true, he usually gives informed info.
Old 01-10-2007, 02:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blurry View Post
Well, if Amir did say that, then it is probably true, he usually gives informed info.
About HD DVD related items yes, about Blu-ray related topics he gives intentionally misleading information like how the 50GB Blu-ray disc would never become a reality and certainly would never be used to put movies out on.
Old 01-10-2007, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobyblue View Post
About HD DVD related items yes, about Blu-ray related topics he gives intentionally misleading information like how the 50GB Blu-ray disc would never become a reality and certainly would never be used to put movies out on.

He may have believed it at the time. I was also skeptical about it, especially since we were not seeing any BD 50 releases for a while after the release of the Samsung. But, BD pulled through on it.