Microsoft: "LG will not be able to sell" BH100 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-10-2007, 10:33 AM

Default Microsoft: "LG will not be able to sell" BH100

It looks like the problems with HDi may put a kibosh in LG's plans:
Quote:
LG may have a difficult time bringing its newly announced BH100 hybrid Blu-ray and HD DVD player to the market, BetaNews has learned, because it will not receive certification from the DVD Forum. Without such certification, LG cannot publicly claim the player supports HD DVD as it is doing now.

The problem stems from the lack of support for HDi, the advanced interactivity technology used by HD DVD. LG has only included support for BD-J, Blu-ray's interactive menu system, in the BH100. Without HDi, only the video content from HD DVD discs will play back; menu systems and other interactive features will simply not be usable.

Kevin Collins, Microsoft's representative for the HD DVD group who sits on all the steering committees, says LG will not be able to sell the product and claim it supports the format if it leaves out HDi. Collins said LG provided no advance notice before announcing the BH100 player at CES, and noted he was surprised by the move.

In fact, Collins explained to BetaNews that the DVD Forum could pursue legal action against LG for claiming the hybrid player supports the HD DVD and using the HD DVD logo, just like it does against pirate hardware manufacturers in Asia that build DVD players without paying licensing fees.

LG plans to begin selling the BH100 in the first quarter of this year for $1,199 USD. But objections from Microsoft's Collins and other companies involved in HD DVD could force LG to make changes, or scrap the player altogether. Collins noted that studios would be "very upset" if consumers could not playback HD DVD movies as they were intended, with interactive menus and special features.

BetaNews was awaiting a response from LG on the matter by press time.
Old 01-10-2007, 10:42 AM

I think that was the biggest concern, a multi-format player that doesn't really support both formats. Would be interesting to hear LGs comments as to why there is no support in the system, being a technological, cost or political issue.
Old 01-10-2007, 10:46 AM

You want the logo, you support the logo. That means all the standards that go with it: HDi, network connectivity, etc.

Was pretty excited when this was first announced, but after reading about the haphazard approach to supporting HD DVD my enthusiasm did a 180.
Old 01-10-2007, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overseer View Post
You want the logo, you support the logo. That means all the standards that go with it: HDi, network connectivity, etc.

Was pretty excited when this was first announced, but after reading about the haphazard approach to supporting HD DVD my enthusiasm did a 180.
I agree, and that is what I have been saying for the last couple of days. If they don't support all of the required features of HD DVD, I would rather the device not come out at all - and it would not be HD DVD.
Old 01-10-2007, 11:44 AM

LG is a complete fuck up of a company. They were extremely gung-ho about Blu-ray from day one, and actually made claims that they would have the first Blu-ray players out. They have demoed and shown Blu-ray prototypes, then made wild claims.

They have followed up with even more ridiculous claims along the way, but have delivered absolutely nothing.

A Combo player that costs more than a X360+PS3 put together? Who cares!

Really, M$ is stupid for not just making it clear that LG must include a full spec. HD DVD player inside the box, but talking about lawsuits and crap like that from the beginning just makes HD DVD look weak. Really what HD DVD needs is this player on the market ASAP so they can claim that TWO whole companies are actually manufacturing drives.

Really, I don't care about the LG combo drive at all, as I think most people shouldn't. LG couldn't engineer a stick properly, I sure as hell don't want their electronics anytime soon.
Old 01-10-2007, 11:48 AM

Well.... Word out of CES had the dual player only playing Blu-ray....
Old 01-10-2007, 12:38 PM
Banned

Warner showed the TotalHD version of Superman Returns playing on LG's player.
Old 01-10-2007, 01:42 PM
Banned

http://www.engadget.com/2007/01/09/l...e-coming-soon/

Looks like the PC drive will support the iHD features of HD DVD.
Old 01-10-2007, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobyblue View Post
http://www.engadget.com/2007/01/09/l...e-coming-soon/

Looks like the PC drive will support the iHD features of HD DVD.

Most likely because LG does not need to do anything. Any PC HD DVD playback software will handle the rest.
Old 01-11-2007, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overseer View Post

I am with you on this one. I got friends who work at Tweeters (Manager) who would hook this baby up when it comes out. I will not buy it unless it works the way HD-DVDs and Blu-Ray disks should on a regular stand-alone player.
Sure hope they get this worked out before release. I was really wanting this puppy.