RUMOR: big 1/11 Sony/MS console related announcement - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-09-2007, 05:46 PM

Exclamation RUMOR: big 1/11 Sony/MS console related announcement

http://ps3forums.com/showthread.php?t=52245

I just saw this link on a another board. The poster claims that he got this quote from the IGN general xbox 360 boards, posted by a site administrator. I checked the IGN boards to confirm that the poster was in fact an admin, but unfortunately I couldn't access the post directly because I don't have their fee-based membership.

This is apparently what the post says.

Quote:
Topic: "On 1/11, an announcement will be made that will rock [this] Gaming Hardware Board"

A thread with this title appeared on the Gaming Hardware Board on 2Channel (Japan's largest BBS service) yesterday, garnering 2200+ replies as of right now

The original poster provided no concrete sources, only saying the following

"This annoucement will be a shocking one. It will mark an end to the next-gen war and bring peace to the Gaming Hardware Board.

The key words are:

-zokuhen (sequel)
-iten (transfer)
-chushi (cancellation)
-kotai (change,as in change of the guard)
-sonzoku (continue to exist)

I imagine you don't know what this is all about, but you will on the 11th."
I can't stress enough that this is a RUMOR, the 11th may very well pass without any announcement. But it seems worth mentioning, whether it be game or hardware related, since this format war partially relies on the success of each console in the long run.

I'll post more if I see anything.
Old 01-09-2007, 05:54 PM

Interesting....rumors about annoucements usually pan out. What remains to be seen is what the announcement actually is. Not knowing enough about game consoles, I haven't even the slightest clue as to what this could be.
Old 01-09-2007, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat H View Post
http://ps3forums.com/showthread.php?t=52245

I just saw this link on a another board. The poster claims that he got this quote from the IGN general xbox 360 boards, posted by a site administrator. I checked the IGN boards to confirm that the poster was in fact an admin, but unfortunately I couldn't access the post directly because I don't have their fee-based membership.

This is apparently what the post says.

I can't stress enough that this is a RUMOR, the 11th may very well pass without any announcement. But it seems worth mentioning, whether it be game or hardware related, since this format war partially relies on the success of each console in the long run.

I'll post more if I see anything.

Mabye a exteral blu-ray drive for the 360?
Old 01-09-2007, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by messin18 View Post
I doubt it, though I would get one if they came out with it - I firmly believe that both formats will be around for a long time, I am just waiting for the right product before supporting BD as well (ie. price drop, excellent dual format player at reasonable price).

Oddly, MS offering a Blu-ray add-on might actually hurt PS3 sales, since it is one of the few reasons why I even consider getting a PS3.

But again, I doubt it. More likely it will be the new HDMI announcement.
Old 01-09-2007, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blurry View Post
I doubt it, though I would get one if they came out with it - I firmly believe that both formats will be around for a long time, I am just waiting for the right product before supporting BD as well (ie. price drop, excellent dual format player at reasonable price).

Oddly, MS offering a Blu-ray add-on might actually hurt PS3 sales, since it is one of the few reasons why I even consider getting a PS3.

But again, I doubt it. More likely it will be the new HDMI announcement.
What else would "mark an end to the next-gen war and bring peace to the Gaming Hardware Board."

Only thing i think they could be reffering to would be the movie format war.. don't think ANYTHING would bring peace to gameing war...

Universal going to blu-ray could be seeing as killing HD DVD which would be seen as ending the war??
Old 01-09-2007, 06:06 PM

More than likely, it's the announcement of the v2 of the Xbox 360 with the 120GB hard drive and HDMI 1.3....which would be huge. I wouldn't have to get rid of my HD-DVD add on. That would be my permanent HD-DVD player.
Old 01-09-2007, 06:06 PM

This should be interesting. I'm sure the legit sites (Gamespot, IGN) will make an official new post. Gamespot has a Rumor Control feature they run regularly. I'm sure it will make it in there in the next 24 hours if the news has any legitimacy.
Old 01-09-2007, 06:08 PM

Quote:
What else would "mark an end to the next-gen war and bring peace to the Gaming Hardware Board."
That is just hyperbole, and I don't read too much into hyperbole without an actual announcement. Though of course I am curious.
Old 01-09-2007, 06:09 PM

I'd buy a Blu-Ray addon drive for the 360 if it cost $199.

That way I'd have both HD DVD and Blu-Ray support for under $400.
Old 01-09-2007, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Ughhh why would MS want to do that?