Universal - No new HD DVD announcements for CES - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-09-2007, 05:02 PM
Banned

Default Universal - No new HD DVD announcements for CES

This is a HUGE surprise.

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/sh..._Universal/429

Quote:
In a rather surprising move, primary HD DVD backer Universal Studios Home Entertainment confirmed today that they will be making no major title announcements at this year's Consumer Electronics Show, despite the formidable presence of all major studios supporting rival format Blu-ray.

Universal, the sole major Hollywood studio to be supporting HD DVD exclusively, was expected to bringing out its big guns for 2007 at CES -- or at least make enough new announcements to dazzle the early adopters who have been passionately backing the format thus far.

But when we contacted Universal to find out if anything further is to come from the studio out of CES, they confirmed they will not be unveiling any new street dates or detailed title info at all for the duration of the show. The studio stressed that they continue to support HD DVD and are planning to announce new titles "throughout 2007."

We must say, it seems like a strange promotional strategy to arrive at CES with nothing to brag about, especially given the highly visible nature of the show in the mainstream media, and that Blu-ray's showing has been quite muscular.

To be fair, a promotional flyer has been issued to the press and is available on the show floor, listing several notable HD DVD titles expected from Universal over the coming year, though most have already been hinted at in prior Universal announcements. Among the hits due in in 2007 are: 'The 40 Year-Old Virgin,' 'American Pie,' Bruce Almighty,' the 2003 remake of 'Dawn of the Dead,' 'Pride & Prejudice,' the original 'The Bourne Identity' and 'Inside Man.'

We'll keep you posted in the coming weeks and months as Universal officially announces street dates for these titles and more. We've also added all of the titles listed above to the "Release Dates Pending" section of our HD DVD Release Schedule.
Old 01-09-2007, 05:30 PM

I think there is trouble brewing at Universal Pictures. I am trying to find the link where I read it.

The studio stressed that they continue to support HD DVD and are planning to announce new titles "throughout 2007."
Notice it did not say 'exclusively support'.

If Universal do a backflip and also support Blu-ray then HD DVD is in serious trouble.
Old 01-09-2007, 05:32 PM
Banned

It will be game over if it happens this year, but I'll be very surprised if it does as well as glad that the format war debacle will be closed as far as I'm concerned.
Old 01-09-2007, 05:42 PM

Nothing in there indicates any change on strategy by Universal.
Old 01-09-2007, 05:42 PM

Yea this is very surprising and a bad move by universal. The 50gb disc would have gave HD DVD, every advantage because the movies already look better then blue ray.

But i think this puts the nail in the coffin, I will forsure be buying a PS3 now for the blue ray player.
Old 01-09-2007, 05:44 PM

In the link to the original press release about HD-DVD at CES, available on this site... yesterday, Craig Kornblau, the president of Universal was the one who was quoted saying that HD-DVD will have "more than 600 movies available globally, and offer an advanced level of internet connectivity." But I guess information released two days ago at CES does not qualify as a new HD-DVD announcement... at CES... ? How do those two stories not contradict each other?

http://hddvd.highdefdigest.com/news/...es_in_2007/417

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/070107/nysu054.html?.v=1

Perhaps the title should read "Universal - No new HD DVD announcements for CES, Since Sunday." Or maybe "Universal - No new HD DVD specifics released at CES."

Last edited by Ramenator; 01-09-2007 at 05:47 PM.
Old 01-09-2007, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzap64 View Post
I think there is trouble brewing at Universal Pictures. I am trying to find the link where I read it.

The studio stressed that they continue to support HD DVD and are planning to announce new titles "throughout 2007."
Notice it did not say 'exclusively support'.

If Universal do a backflip and also support Blu-ray then HD DVD is in serious trouble.
If Universal WAS going to go blu-ray wouldn't they use cse to announce it? If Universal went blu-ray of courese HD DVD would be dead. I think the same would be true if FOX or another big company flipped to HD DVD.
Old 01-09-2007, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramenator View Post
In the link to the original press release about HD-DVD at CES, available on this site... yesterday, Craig Kornblau, the president of Universal was the one who was quoted saying that HD-DVD will have "more than 600 movies available globally, and offer an advanced level of internet connectivity." But I guess information released two days ago at CES does not qualify as a new HD-DVD announcement... at CES... ? How do those two stories not contradict each other?

I think HD DVD's main focus at CES has been the Hardware more than the Software. There seems to be a push to get the players out there and they expect sales to be quite brisk this year.
Old 01-09-2007, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramenator View Post

They've said that they plan to announce movies throughout the year, but not made a big commitment. This makes me think they are a little undecided, but they will continue HD-DVD support perhaps as per some contractual agreement between them and Toshiba.

Yesterday there was a session behind closed doors with pannelists between the HD-DVD, Blu-ray and studio representatives to discuss "the winner". There is possibility Universal got cold feet between their weekend announcement at the HD-DVD conference and after that session.

The fact of the matter is that they don't have much to lose; DVD is still selling plenty and they can afford to sit on HD-DVD another year and see how it plays out. The only shame is that they hold the key to the end of the war, but they wish to prolong it.

Last edited by HarakoMeshi; 01-09-2007 at 05:57 PM.
Old 01-09-2007, 05:53 PM

Universal is the HD-DVD supporter with nothing to lose if BD wins. At worst they spend a little time re-mastering their disks. BD supports the same codecs so the video portion just transfers and all they have to do is re-do the menus.

Heck, they might even be able to sell the HD supporters second copies in BD If they think the "win early" strategy failed, look for them to re-consider.

MS loses because a BD win legitimizes 'PS3
Toshiba, they end up with a lot of stock they cannot sell.