Toshiba goes to 51gb triple layer disc - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-09-2007, 12:54 PM

Default Toshiba goes to 51gb triple layer disc

they just had to fit 1gb more to top bd...this whole fight of storage is so stupid and created just for marketing. bd has proved that the pq on a single layer 25gb bd disc or 30gb hd-dvd is all thats needed....but the war must go on...http://www.dvdtown.com/news/hddvdgoe...thnewdisc/4260
Old 01-09-2007, 12:57 PM

You do know that this is still a lab thing, right? They were announcing 45GB last year, and apparently this hasn't even been submitted to the DVD Forum yet. Even worse is that it is out of spec for 1st-gen players.
Old 01-09-2007, 01:00 PM

This is kinda old news there was a post yesterday about it with much more information about it.
Old 01-09-2007, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombieflanders View Post
You do know that this is still a lab thing, right? They were announcing 45GB last year, and apparently this hasn't even been submitted to the DVD Forum yet. Even worse is that it is out of spec for 1st-gen players.
It looks like it is an evolution of the 45Gb version from last year. It appears they are planning to submit it to the DVD Forum now. I find even being able to fit 17Gb on a layer significant, since 30Gb actually already seems enough for most cases, but in those rare cases where more might be needed, that additional 4 Gbs will be very helpful.
Old 01-09-2007, 01:02 PM

Yeah I find the additional storage per layer much more significant of an announcement than the extra layer.

But why not have the best of both worlds?!
Old 01-09-2007, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombieflanders View Post
i was trying to show how funny it is and such a marketing ploy, 51gb come on...we don't need it to watch movies on dvd. my 25gb bd look identical in PQ then my 50gb releases look. if anyone can see a diffrence its called placebo effect. there is NO pq difference between 25gb and 50gb disks i have....plus there are very little in terms of bounus extras.
Old 01-09-2007, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelHDDVD View Post
But why not have the best of both worlds?!
Absolutely, and we know that HD DVD is the best of both worlds!!

Winning out in CE support (with Onkyo, Meridian and Chinese manufacturers) - In any case the BD camp can no longer point to an HD DVD deficiency as being CE support.

Narrowing the gap with Studio support by confirming Weinstein to be exclusive and gaining New Line. If New Line is exclusive, that is huge, but even if it is not, it is still narrowing the lead.

Increasing the lead in features such as online interactivity.

Becoming a more integral part of the home entertainment complete solution. With MS' rollout of the Vista capability with XBox Live and downloads now accessible via the Vista operating system - enormously expanding the potential user base, the add-on is a natural addition to this environment and that will be enormous boost for it.