CES Receiver news (HDMI 1.3, TrueHD, DTS-MA, etc.) - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-09-2007, 08:30 AM
Banned

Default CES Receiver news (HDMI 1.3, TrueHD, DTS-MA, etc.)

Post all receiver news here.

Pioneer has made their first announcement on the PIoneer receivers front, but nothing so far on the Elite line.
No specs specific enough to announce HDMI 1.3 yet.
http://www.engadget.com/2007/01/08/p...ius-satellite/
Quote:
Pioneer today announced four new A/V receivers -- lovingly designated as the VSX-517, VSX-817, VSX-917V, and VSX-1017TXV (pictured) -- three of which feature compatibility with Sirius' SiriusConnect SC-H1 and XM's Connect & Play Satellite Radio solutions. The VSX-1017TXV top-of-the-range THX Select 2 certified model also features iPod connectivity -- seriously, what doesn't in this day and age? -- via a separate and optional iPod docking station. All four receivers feature Pioneer's proprietary digital sound processing technologies which are designed to adapt the audio output to different room spaces, as well as Pioneer's Multi-Channel Acoustic Calibration for optimizing sound across several channels. Now for the raw specs: the first three models are all capable of pumping 110 Watts over each of their 7 channels -- 5 in the case of the VSX-517 -- with the top end 1017TXV upping that another 10 to 120 Watts/channel output. Only the top two models (VSX-917V and VSX-1017TXV) feature HDMI video switching, so if you opt for either the VSX-517 or VSX-817 you'll have to settle for their audio-only coaxial and optical inputs. Pioneer is asking $199 for the VSX-517, $299 for the VSX-517, $399 for the VSX-917V, and has yet to make its mind up on a tag for the VSX-1017TXV. Bar the top end model which will be available in July this year, all other models will be up for sale in April.
Doesn't sound like the Pioneer line will have audio through HDMI but rather continue where the VSX 1016TX left off, HDMI video switching only.

Poor show, now bring on the Elite!
Old 01-09-2007, 08:31 AM
Banned

Denon Receivers HDMI 1.3 Support

Denon Electronics took some time at CES this year to reaffirm its position as a technology leader by showcasing a variety of next-generation surround sound technologies at some private meetings. Products offered advanced connectivity options and lifestyle-enhancing home entertainment applications. In addition to a wide range of A/V receivers and DVD players that feature the CI designation (for Custom Integration), the company’s “Tech Showcase 2007” demonstrated for dealers the high-definition audio formats from Dolby & dts that will be incorporated in Denon’s 2007 A/V receiver line, available later this year.

Denon President Stephen Baker noted, “Along with the rapid growth of flat-panel high-definition TVs, the CE industry is seeing parallel growth in the advanced audio/video surround sound receiver segment. The new generation of receivers feature advanced connectivity and networking, and are designed to literally serve as the ‘entertainment hub’ or central component required to connect and integrate all of today's home entertainment devices. As we look to 2007 and beyond, Denon’s goal is to lead the way in home entertainment connectivity and applications with custom installation-friendly products that let consumers experience the very latest surround sound and video formats, including Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio, both of which will be supported by our next- generation receivers."

There you have it - the '08 series of receiver should include HDMI 1.3 or 1.3a technology to enable transmission of the new formats natively through their receivers. No mention was made of updates to existing AV receivers and, other than possible flagship product updates, we don't anticipate any.

http://www.audioholics.com/ces/CESpr...-receivers.php
Old 01-09-2007, 08:32 AM
Banned

Sherwood Newcastle R-972 HDMI 1.3 Receiver
# HDMI 1.3 (4 in, 1 out)
# Video Scaling to 1080p
# Converts HDMI video to analog
# GUI OSD
# DTS Master Audio HD
# Dolby TrueHD
# RF Remote Control
# Automatic Audio Set-up
# Audyssey MultEQ XT
# RS-232 Control / Upgrade
# Multi Source, Multi Zone
# A/V Sync Delay by Input
# XM Connect & Play
# Installer Memory
# Built in bi-amp capability
# Extensive bass management flexibility

MSRP : $1499
Old 01-09-2007, 11:22 AM

Sigh. I was hoping for some affordable HDMI audio/video enabled receivers from Pioneer and Yamaha.
Old 01-09-2007, 11:37 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feyd View Post
Sigh. I was hoping for some affordable HDMI audio/video enabled receivers from Pioneer and Yamaha.
No announcements yet from Yamaha and still hope that the lower priced Elite, which will be roughly the same price as the 1017, will have HDMI 1.3 specs for video and audio.

AS it goes you can get an HDMI 1.1 receiver from Onkyo (audio and video) 90 watts x 7 for US$369. If you're interested I'll post a link.
Old 01-09-2007, 12:01 PM
Super Moderator

Does anyone know if there have been any receivers announced with HDMI 1.3 as well as all of the latest codecs (TrueHD, DTS-HD MA etc)?
Old 01-09-2007, 12:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejstar View Post
Does anyone know if there have been any receivers announced with HDMI 1.3 as well as all of the latest codecs (TrueHD, DTS-HD MA etc)?
I just posted the Sherwood Newcastle a few posts back.

HDMI 1.3 (4 in, 1 out) with 1080p upconversion, DTS-MA, TrueHD, 7.1 (120Wx7), etc., etc.
It's a real beaut. From what I understand they were one of the first to support DTS in a receiver too.

Here's a pic. You can see the DTS-MA and TrueHD logos are the first ones on the bottom right.

Are you drooling yet?
Old 01-09-2007, 01:05 PM

doby:

the newcastle that has 4 hdmi in and 1 out. Does that mean I can plug my hd dvd, blu-ray, and cable box and one extra thing all via hdmi and output one hdmi cord to my input in my tv and receive truehd and 1080p???

sounds so simple
Old 01-09-2007, 01:06 PM
Banned

that looks nice. i can't wait for tax returns.
Old 01-09-2007, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJammin5 View Post
doby:

the newcastle that has 4 hdmi in and 1 out. Does that mean I can plug my hd dvd, blu-ray, and cable box and one extra thing all via hdmi and output one hdmi cord to my input in my tv and receive truehd and 1080p???

sounds so simple
That's the idea.

It should also upscale Component, S-Video and Composite connections to 1080i/p, so all you need is one HDMI cable going to your display device. The receiver does the rest.