Universal needs to come out swinging... - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-09-2007, 04:29 AM

Default Universal needs to come out swinging...

I am not all that impressed with the exclusive's from Disney, Fox, etc. - and the Blu Ray. There are a select few, though.

Question is, where are the exclusives for HD-DVD?

** HarakoMeshi is not allowed to reply... ever... thanks... **
Old 01-09-2007, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klutch86 View Post
** HarakoMeshi is not allowed to reply... ever... thanks... **
Thats gonna leave a mark.
I think they announced the new TV series Battlestar Galactica. That will keep me on my toes for a while. But its true we do need more.
Old 01-09-2007, 09:32 AM

Didn't they also announce Star Trek too?
Old 01-09-2007, 09:39 AM

I hope they announce A Beautiful Mind!
Old 01-09-2007, 11:10 AM

It hasn't been announced (it barely hit theatres), but I'll definitely be getting Children of Men as an HD-DVD exclusive.

Come on Battlestar Galactica, I'm just waiting to fork over the cash here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelHDDVD View Post
I hope they announce A Beautiful Mind!
That's another one I'd love to get.
Old 01-09-2007, 11:20 AM
Banned

They need to announce Back to the Future, Gladiator, Jaws and Jurassic Park to stop the bleeding. Those would be huge announcements for HD DVD to help quell the influx of titles being announced for Blu-ray and both formats.
Old 01-09-2007, 11:32 AM

Gladiator might not be released with Universal. Dreamworks holds the home video distribution rights to Gladiator. As many know, Paramount owns Dreamworks and their vault of films. So, if Gladiator does indeed make a debut on HD, it'll be on both formats.

As for Jurassic Park, Universal can't make a move on those films without the blessing of Spielberg. Spielberg has alot of titles over at Universal. I think it's a safe bet that we won't be seeing any Spielberg films in 2007 on HD anywhere, no matter the format.

Essentially, I think you can count out any films by George Lucas or Steven Spielberg makes any HD debuts in the 2007.

Last edited by Jumpman; 01-09-2007 at 11:35 AM.
Old 01-09-2007, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumpman View Post
Gladiator might not be released with Universal. Dreamworks holds the home video distribution rights to Gladiator. As many know, Paramount owns Dreamworks and their vault of films. So, if Gladiator does indeed make a debut on HD, it'll be on both formats.

As for Jurassic Park, Universal can't make a move on those films without the blessing of Spielberg. Spielberg has alot of titles over at Universal. I think it's a safe bet that we won't be seeing any Spielberg films in 2007 on HD anywhere, no matter the format.

Essentially, I think you can count out any films by George Lucas or Steven Spielberg makes any HD debuts in the 2007.

I think we will see JAWS and MUNICH in 2007 on HD DVD. Also, Universal released AMERICAN GRAFFITI on Standard DVD early on, so I would imagine it will make it to HD DVD soon. GLADIATOR is a co-Dreamworks/Universal production with DW retaining domestic DVD rights and Universal International.

There is heavy rumor that SCARFACE, ETERNAL SUNSHINE OF THE SPOTLESS MIND, BRAZIL and CONAN THE BARBARIAN are to be released soon on HD DVD. Other titles I would guess will be released in 2007 are THE BOURNE IDENTITY, DAWN OF THE DEAD (REMAKE), BRUCE ALMIGHTY, DANTE'S PEAK, THE 40-YEAR-OLD VIRGIN, THE BLUES BROTHERS, INSIDE MAN, AMERICAN PIE and it's sequels and hopefully some HITCHCOCK, classic Horror and perhaps classic titles like TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD and TOUCH OF EVIL. I'm thinking that the extended KING KONG and THE FRIGHTENERS will make it before too long, and I'm also guessing that E.T. will be released later this year for its 25th Aniversary. There has been no official word that nothing from Spielberg will be released this year. I would imagine they will space out releasing the big titles over the next few years. They don't want to release them all at once. Universal has a great library and they will probably milk their exclusiveness all they can.
Old 01-09-2007, 12:31 PM
noobydoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad1963 View Post
I think we will see JAWS and MUNICH in 2007 on HD DVD. Also, Universal released AMERICAN GRAFFITI on Standard DVD early on, so I would imagine it will make it to HD DVD soon. GLADIATOR is a co-Dreamworks/Universal production with DW retaining domestic DVD rights and Universal International.

There is heavy rumor that SCARFACE, ETERNAL SUNSHINE OF THE SPOTLESS MIND, BRAZIL and CONAN THE BARBARIAN are to be released soon on HD DVD. Other titles I would guess will be released in 2007 are THE BOURNE IDENTITY, DAWN OF THE DEAD (REMAKE), BRUCE ALMIGHTY, DANTE'S PEAK, THE 40-YEAR-OLD VIRGIN, THE BLUES BROTHERS, INSIDE MAN, AMERICAN PIE and it's sequels and hopefully some HITCHCOCK, classic Horror and perhaps classic titles like TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD and TOUCH OF EVIL. I'm thinking that the extended KING KONG and THE FRIGHTENERS will make it before too long, and I'm also guessing that E.T. will be released later this year for its 25th Aniversary. There has been no official word that nothing from Spielberg will be released this year. I would imagine they will space out releasing the big titles over the next few years. They don't want to release them all at once. Universal has a great library and they will probably milk their exclusiveness all they can.
Thaks man, that is an impressive list. I'm happy with whats announced but for fence sitters, those are good reasons to feel better about HD DVD.
Old 01-09-2007, 12:42 PM
Banned

I don't think Spielberg movies will be off limits to Universal for 2007.

I don't see any reason why Universal won't have an amazing output of titles like they did in 2006.