Microsoft biggest winner behind the scenes at CES? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-09-2007, 12:34 AM

Default Microsoft biggest winner behind the scenes at CES?

It seems like with all the focus on Blu-ray vs HD DVD folks have missed Microsoft's foray.
Deal with Vonge to have more movies on Xbox live
Xbox IPTV box for carriers like ATT and Verizon
Xbox live and Vista PC gaming integration (If they can combine PC gaming with Xbox live then the PS3 is almost dead in the water)

I guess I'll have to bite the bullet and buy a Xbox 360 in addition to my Wii. The Wii is nice for casual gamers like me but they can never pull off this integration with movies and live.
Old 01-09-2007, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by topcat2001 View Post
It seems like with all the focus on Blu-ray vs HD DVD folks have missed Microsoft's foray.
Deal with Vonge to have more movies on Xbox live
Xbox IPTV box for carriers like ATT and Verizon
Xbox live and Vista PC gaming integration (If they can combine PC gaming with Xbox live then the PS3 is almost dead in the water)

I guess I'll have to bite the bullet and buy a Xbox 360 in addition to my Wii. The Wii is nice for casual gamers like me but they can never pull off this integration with movies and live.
Don't forget the additional Lionsgate content.
Old 01-09-2007, 12:50 AM

It will be interesting to see if Apple's iTV can outshine the Xbox live but I think it may have a much harder time than with the iPod as MS controls their own hardware this time.
Old 01-09-2007, 12:55 AM
Banned

Dont forget VC-1 becoming more and more popular with HD releases on both sides. They can make an absolute boatload of cash with VC-1. Yes MS is without a dubt one of the big winners this year at CES. I agree 100%. A lot of people criticized MSwhen they entered the Videogame market and was taking heavly losses with each Xbox unit sold but they absolutly knew what they were doing. I read an article on Bill Gates a few years back in Time Magazine where he fleshed out his plan for the domination of the living room and looking at how things are right now I would say his plan is coming along very nicely.

Regardless of what Sony Supporters will admit, the 360 is a steallar gaming machine and Xbox live has been turned into the premier online gaming center. In all honesty it is amazing what they have done with Xbox live since Ihave been a member since day 1. They have continued to improve it time after time after time and its now an amazing service that I Have no problem paying a monthly fee for. The integration of PC gaming with Xbox live is a great step IMO that will only make Xbox live that much better of a service with even more people to game with not that 5 million isnt enough already.

MS is having great sucess right now on a lot of fronts and with Vista finally getting ready to hit the market (Even if it is a complete rip off of OSX), their success should only gain momentum over the next few years.

OC..
Old 01-09-2007, 01:00 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by topcat2001 View Post
It will be interesting to see if Apple's iTV can outshine the Xbox live but I think it may have a much harder time than with the iPod as MS controls their own hardware this time.
I dont think it will have a hard time at all. People are actually all about Apple these days. If its anything like the rest of their products it shuld not only look great but be designed great and be very easy to use. I for one cant wait for it as I have been a Mac user for over 15 years and have never had a really good option for this kind of thing before. I have tons of downloaded content that I wold love to be able to stream to my HDTV with ease. The HD content alone that I have takes up hundreds of burnt discs. BBC's 11 part Planet Earth series in HD is simply stunning to name just one of them.

I expect it to do quite well.

OC...
Old 01-09-2007, 02:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush View Post
Dont forget VC-1 becoming more and more popular with HD releases on both sides. They can make an absolute boatload of cash with VC-1. Yes MS is without a dubt one of the big winners this year at CES. I agree 100%. A lot of people criticized MSwhen they entered the Videogame market and was taking heavly losses with each Xbox unit sold but they absolutly knew what they were doing. I read an article on Bill Gates a few years back in Time Magazine where he fleshed out his plan for the domination of the living room and looking at how things are right now I would say his plan is coming along very nicely.
The bolded bit, that's exactly what people will be saying about Sony and PS3 when Blu-ray wins the format war and helps push PS3 to be #1 console too.
Old 01-09-2007, 07:40 AM

Cool

Give it up HarakoMeshi, Sony conceded PS3's biggest chance to catch #1 status the minute the took their focus off of the videogames dept. (Their key dept. I might add) Microsoft (and Nintendo) out bid them, out scooped them, got more exclusives and out right out classed Sony this gen. This gen is a fight between Nintendo Wii and the Xbox 360 for first place. Sony gave up that chance when they hit the snooze button and went on cruise control. Sony can never catch the Wii or the 360 in price now or they'll bleed money until they become the next Sega trying. It would be better to man up and stop the bleeding now and just deal with the PS3 as a movie player now than to try and battle Nintendo and Microsoft with their price drops and their will be price drops. Nintendo and Microsoft can smell blood in the water now it's just a matter of time! The sharks are hungry for some meat they will attack!

Ohh and Microsoft is looking at the movies (HD-DVD and HD downloads giving choice again I might add.) but, they never stopped focusing on the games. Maybe Sony's not big enough company to focus on both because they let one devision slide while focusing on the other. How else can you explain (losing exclusives on Ridge Racer, GTA, Assassin's Creed, Resident Evil, Dragon Quest and now Virtua Fighter 5. You know they have Tekken, Final Fantasy, Devil May Cry and MGS4 left. Some of those are rumored to be going Multiplatform too now.) You gotta have exclusives if you don't your dead! Alot of those companies wanted to keep those games exclusive to Sony too that's bad when Sony was turning them away because we're PLAYSTATION. You right about one thing Sony will probably wake up after this gen to be number one again if their's anything left of the company after this gen is over. Sony has no room for bragging any more and they need to change focus quickly or risk death!

Last edited by Wulf; 01-09-2007 at 08:09 AM.
Old 01-09-2007, 08:01 AM
Banned

Quote:
Dont forget VC-1 becoming more and more popular with HD releases on both sides. They can make an absolute boatload of cash with VC-1.
Something I've been saying MS had planned to do all along by allowing HD DVD to get out of the gate.
Quote:
Regardless of what Sony Supporters will admit, the 360 is a stellar gaming machine
You won't hear any argument from me here. I can't stand it when people bash other consoles as I think all three of the new gen consoles have merits and are worth purchasing.
Old 01-09-2007, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarakoMeshi View Post
The bolded bit, that's exactly what people will be saying about Sony and PS3 when Blu-ray wins the format war and helps push PS3 to be #1 console too.
Sony doesn't have the deep pockets MS has. They are betting their entire company's future on the success of the PS3 and BD.

They promised their investors (the only thing keep Sony afloat right now) they would dominate both the gaming market and easily win the format wars, they would see massive losses in the first quarter this year and then they would start raking in the cash. If Sony does not fullfill it's promise to its investors they may pull out and Sony would be in a world of hurt.

Last edited by Gnome; 01-09-2007 at 09:43 AM.
Old 01-09-2007, 09:48 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnome View Post
Sony doesn't have the deep pockets MS has. They are betting their entire company's future on the success of the PS3 and BD.

They promised their investors (the only thing keep Sony afloat right now) they would dominate both the gaming market and easily win the format wars, they would see massive losses in the first quarter this year and then they would start raking in the cash. If Sony does not fullfill it's promise to its investors they may pull out and Sony would be in a world of hurt.
They might not have as deep, but their pockets are deep don't kid yourself.

Sony's gross from movies alone

2006 - $1,704,600,000 (1st)
2005 - $ 919,100,000 (5th)
2004 - $1,337,600,000 (1st)
2003 - $1,197,100,000 (2nd)
2002 - $1,575,100,000 (1st)