ITwire has bad things to say about LG's new combo player (sorry if old) - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-08-2007, 07:29 PM

Default ITwire has bad things to say about LG's new combo player (sorry if old)

http://www.itwire.com.au/content/view/8435/1103/
Whether your an HD-DVD or BD supporter, I think that this is a significant issue.
potentially premature observations and analyses aside, I have been much more optimistic about Total HD...
Old 01-08-2007, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wretched View Post
http://www.itwire.com.au/content/view/8435/1103/
Whether your an HD-DVD or BD supporter, I think that this is a significant issue.
potentially premature observations and analyses aside, I have been much more optimistic about Total HD...
I think it's pointless.

The only risk you have in supporting one format or another is that one day your format will die and nobody will own or sell your formats players anymore.

So if blu-ray were to lose and you had 40 blu-ray disks you'd have the same problem. in a few years nobody would really have the players except for the intial one you purchasd.

I think the disks that have both blu-ray and hd-dvd are much more significant.
Old 01-08-2007, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by messin18 View Post
I think it's pointless.

The only risk you have in supporting one format or another is that one day your format will die and nobody will own or sell your formats players anymore.

So if blu-ray were to lose and you had 40 blu-ray disks you'd have the same problem. in a few years nobody would really have the players except for the intial one you purchasd.

I think the disks that have both blu-ray and hd-dvd are much more significant.
I agree completely; I am much more interested in Total HD
Old 01-08-2007, 08:05 PM

Quote:
What’s more tragic about this horrible delay is that LG claims their drive is the fastest, which means that Blu-ray and HD DVD only players must take longer!! Given that Panasonic promote a ‘one second start’ on their DVD/HDD recorders and that consumers are used to this kind of performance, slower performance speeds, even if they are ‘the fastest’ are still a step backwards.
I am not so sure the writer has either HD DVD or Blu-ray, otherwise he would be certain about load times.

The author is really missing the significance of the LG player in the overall HD arena. LG is innovating, yes it is expensive to innovate and generrally the 1st gen of any device has will have anomolios and unusual operating charteristics.

My thoughts on the LG player is that it will bring the 1st universal player to market that could potentially elevate the awareness campaign for the HD format and current platforms.

It is the seeding of this awareness campaign that both camps need to develop their HD platform respectively. LG will certainly help with this.

This format roller coaster ride will begin to really develop when consumers are more educated on both HD platforms.

Can't really wait for consumer to become more educated , looking forward to the slew of phone calls from friends and relatives asking questions.

Last edited by firelizard; 01-08-2007 at 09:51 PM.