Toshiba Readies 1.8 Million HD DVD Players to Fight Blu-ray - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-08-2007, 06:58 PM
noobydoo

Post Toshiba Readies 1.8 Million HD DVD Players to Fight Blu-ray

No shortage of confidence by Toshiba. Their primary studio Universal does not appear to have any doubt about supporting the HD DVD format either.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,12...s/article.html

Toshiba Readies 1.8 Million HD DVD Players to Fight Blu-Ray
However, only 600 films for the players will be available by the end of 2007.
Dan Nystedt, IDG News Service
Monday, January 08, 2007 03:00 PM PST

LAS VEGAS -- New movie releases, more market entrants, improved technology and 1.8 million HD DVD players from Toshiba are the weapons companies plan to use in the format battle against rival Blu-ray Disc this year, executives said Sunday.

By the end of 2007, there will be 600 movies available for users with an HD DVD player or drive, said Craig Kornblau, president of Universal Studios Home Entertainment, at the International Consumer Electronics Show (CES) in Las Vegas.
Big Announcements All Year

The Japanese electronics giant will release the next generation of its HD DVD players this year, including the HD A20 HD DVD player announced earlier on Sunday.

The vendor will also add a huge number of total players shipped in North America alone, 1.8 million, said Yoshihide Fujii, president and chief executive officer (CEO) of Toshiba's digital media network company.

"This is a very conservative figure," he said.

In addition, the HD DVD trade group expects revenue for HD DVD players, drives and discs in North America this year to top $600 million, said Kornblau.
Winning the Battle?

Sales of HD DVD players during the recent winter holidays were stellar, with Microsoft selling out of the HD DVD drives it built for its Xbox 360 game consoles.

"Demand well outpaced the supply we could produce last year," said Amir Majidimehr, corporate vice president of the Consumer Media Technology Group at Microsoft.

Toshiba also announced new improvements to HD DVD technology that will greatly increase its storage capacity. The company said it developed a triple-layer HD DVD-ROM (read only memory) disc that can hold 51G bytes of data on a single-sided disc, a huge advance over current discs. Toshiba was able to increase the capacity by enabling each of three layers on a disc to store 17G bytes of data. The vendor aims to gain approval for the new disc by the DVD Forum this year.

Overall, the companies in the HD DVD trade group said last year offered a tremendous boostto the popularity of HD DVD, with sales of up to 28 movies per player over the course of the year.

"It is similar to when DVDs were first being adopted," said Kornblau, saying that he expects 2007 to be a stellar year for HD DVD.

For more up-to-the-minute blogs, stories, photos, and video from the nation's largest consumer electronics show, visit PC World's CES 2007 Live Coverage Infocenter.
Old 01-08-2007, 07:06 PM

Great news...now only if stores would stop leaving the HD DVD players off the shelf. If I see this biased crap any longer I'm going to start writing to companies. But the ability of HD DVD to keep on selling after it is denied publicity in retail stores is quite amazing. I have a lot of confidence in Toshiba and what the next year will bring.
Old 01-08-2007, 07:10 PM

The stores want the war over. They may simply be picking sides to help meet that goal.
Old 01-08-2007, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enigma View Post
The stores want the war over. They may simply be picking sides to help meet that goal.
That's forcing a product on the consumer, and it's NOT going to get me to buy BD. I believe customers should have a choice, and not giving them one is sleazy business practice. I know stores will continue to do it regardless, but they won't be convincing me.

In fact, one of my local stores has a BD and and HD DVD player side by side, and the HD DVD player has the front panel ripped off! What kind of impression do you think this gives the consumer? It tells them that HD DVD players are cheap, in more ways than one...which is simply not true. It pisses me off to no end.

Last edited by Pat H; 01-08-2007 at 07:22 PM.
Old 01-08-2007, 07:57 PM

No studio is going to look at 2.5 Million players and rebuff it. That's a lot of coin and if the attachrate remains pretty decent for movies HD DVD owners are virtually guaranteed that a couple of studios come over.

Quite honestly I expected 2x as much HD DVD players out that the 175k quoted. It's time to get the manufacturing running smoothly and satiate the demand.
Old 01-08-2007, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Sales of HD DVD players during the recent winter holidays were stellar, with Microsoft selling out of the HD DVD drives it built for its Xbox 360 game consoles.
I've been around to Walmarts and video game outlets and this thing never sells out. Didn't they only sell 80K of these at most?
Old 01-08-2007, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simpspin View Post
I've been around to Walmarts and video game outlets and this thing never sells out. Didn't they only sell 80K of these at most?
NPD announced that they sold 42k in the first few weeks. I don't know what the number is today.
Old 01-08-2007, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post
Quite honestly I expected 2x as much HD DVD players out that the 175k quoted. It's time to get the manufacturing running smoothly and satiate the demand.
Acording to all the HD fans here, there are plenty of $599 BD players on shelves ready to go
Old 01-08-2007, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simpspin View Post
I noticed that it depends which store I walk into. Most Best Buys I have seen have zero XBox 360 HD DVD players in stock. But in Wal-Marts I always see a few of them. And there was some data which said 150,000 XBox 360 HD DVD players were sold last year.
Old 01-08-2007, 11:33 PM

150,000 was in the US only.