Disney's BD release slate is pathetic at best.. - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-08-2007, 06:01 PM
Banned

Default Disney's BD release slate is pathetic at best..

I am a huge disney and Pixar fan and if there was one studio that could get me to support both formats it is in gact Disney and PIxar. With that being said where are all the big titles? Sure Pirates and Cars (I hated it) are extremely popular but where are the big titles that everyone was hoping for?

Where is Monsters Inc, Finding Nemo, Beauty & The Beast, Fantasia, Snow White, Cinderella, Alice IN wonderland, Jungle Book, The Incredibles, Toy Story 1 & 2, Sleeping Beauty, 101 Dalmations, The Little Mermaid, The Lion King, Pocahontas, Mulan, Tarzan, Lilo & Stich, Emperors New Groove, Aladdin, Who Framed Roger Rabbit, The Nightmare before Christmas, A Bugs Life, Chronicals of Narnia?? I Mean WTF???

Instead we get Chicken Little, GI Jane, (LOL), Con Ar, Crimson Tide, The Rock, The Recruit and Open Range, Remember the Titans, and Finding Neverland and of course incuding Pirates 1 and Cars.

I am sorry but this list can be nothing but a huge disappointment for any real Disney or Pixar film fan. This list is a joke. They could have come out swinging and killed HD DVD at this CES hands down by simply announcing like 4-5 of those titles I listed. Monsters Inc & Toy Story alone would have been HUGE.

Sure Disney can still come out and announce these titles at a later date but the CES is there for a reason. You have media outlets from all over the world in one place to report your new products. This was a huge letdown IMO and another big mistake by a BD company.

Again I am a huge Disney and Pixar fan and I own every single one of those titles already. If they would have come out swinging I would have been forced into supporting BD. As is I am content in staying with HD DVD as I have absolutely zero interest in most of those titles including Cars. Pirates is the only movie I would get and be excited about. 1 Title..

I am sure BD fans will clamor in here defending Disney and BD to the death like they always do but there is nothing you can say that would get me excited for that list, nothing.

OC..

Last edited by OrangeCrush; 01-08-2007 at 06:03 PM.
Old 01-08-2007, 06:16 PM

IIRC: Disney was slow to move from VHS to DVD also. No idea why.
Old 01-08-2007, 06:17 PM

Since I don't want this buried deep within another thread, the Blu-Ray fanboys have yet to show how releasing more movies equals more movies sold. If every single title ever made was on Blu-Ray, but it is not selling, it lost. How many movies you have is irrelevant, it is how many movies you sell.
Old 01-08-2007, 06:17 PM

I would venture a guess that they are slow to move because most of the demand for those types of videos comes from Children, and Parents are slower to adopt more expensive technology.
Old 01-08-2007, 06:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by vooswing View Post
I was thrilled when I read the releases: Cars, Pirates 1 & 2, and the Rock are great titles.

I didn't even think about what wasn't announced until I read your post. I agree it would have been great if they would have announced more but Pirates 1 & 2 are by far the most anticipated Disney movies for me.
Sorry but The Rock is garbage Hollywood action movie fluff IMO and I guarantee most BD people will say the same thing you did regardless of if its true or not but the bottom line is that Pixar released crap and sorry but Cars is by far their worst picture and Disney released crap as well. Again Sure Pirates is big and nice but CMON!!! Look at Disney's catalog! Most of the people that are Die Hard Disney fans are in fact fans of those movies I listed, not the ROck and GI Jane. Sorry but the Disney release list is ridiculous when you look at what titles they could have released. Again they could have driven a stake right into the heart of HD DVD but didn't.

Sometimes I think these studios want this war to go on as long as it can. I swear it looks like that at times.

OC..
Old 01-08-2007, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush View Post
Sometimes I think these studios want this war to go on as long as it can. I swear it looks like that at times.

OC..
Maybe they think they can sell the losers another set of movies in the winning format
Old 01-08-2007, 06:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnome View Post
I would venture a guess that they are slow to move because most of the demand for those types of videos comes from Children, and Parents are slower to adopt more expensive technology.
Totally untrue!! Those movies would become the fastest selling titles on either format period cause everyone gets them. Your statment really coudnt be farther from the truth.

And sorry for posting this in both forums, I didnt relize there was a 2nd forum just for CES and the put it in there as well.

OC..
Old 01-08-2007, 06:23 PM

Hmm, who's expecting any of the studios to blow all of their titles within one year? You could say a very similar thing about HD-DVD's releases. Where's all the great Universal movies like Jurassic Park and Back To The Future?

It seems fairly normal to me not to release your best title first and overshadow the rest. You want a few stars to catch the eye, and work your way from back to front in the catalogues.

There will be more than enough great movies on BD to keep the average mortal less than 200 title a year guy happy.

Last edited by HarakoMeshi; 01-08-2007 at 06:27 PM.
Old 01-08-2007, 06:27 PM

OK, I stand corrected.
Old 01-08-2007, 06:30 PM

To turn the tables, what the hell has the HD DVD side done to sway BD owners to their side? For example, where are the killer Speilberg Universal releases?