Any of the news from CES having you shift sides? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-08-2007, 04:19 PM

Default Any of the news from CES having you shift sides?

Not me (Hd-DVD). Just curious, though.

I am disappointed that there is no new studio support, though - for HD-DVD.
Old 01-08-2007, 04:22 PM

Nope, no bad news for Blu-ray. No bad news is good news.
Old 01-08-2007, 04:25 PM

Nope, not for me but I bet deep down there are those HD DVD supporters going, mmm...ah crap. %-( after all the releases on BD both hardware and software.
Old 01-08-2007, 04:25 PM

For me it has. A week ago I was really on board with that dual-format player. But the extra $700 just for HD-DVD support seems to be a waste. Especially after all the announcements at CES, BD is going to prevail. There's no question about it in my mind, although I realize they'll be 20 posts following this one telling me I'm wrong.

So the short answer is yes, I was going to go dual-format and now I'm sticking with BD.
Old 01-08-2007, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackinbox View Post
For me it has. A week ago I was really on board with that dual-format player. But the extra $700 just for HD-DVD support seems to be a waste. Especially after all the announcements at CES, BD is going to prevail. There's no question about it in my mind, although I realize they'll be 20 posts following this one telling me I'm wrong.

So the short answer is yes, I was going to go dual-format and now I'm sticking with BD.
Sounds very reasonable, and logical to me. I really can't see how others can find fault with it.
Old 01-08-2007, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marzetta7 View Post
Nope, not for me but I bet deep down there are those HD DVD supporters going, mmm...ah crap. %-( after all the releases on BD both hardware and software.
Can't you ever make a post without inciting something?
Old 01-08-2007, 04:27 PM

I'm still HD DVD because technically the players and content are better than Blu-ray. (And before I'm massacred by Maz and Doby) All the features which should have been standard on both systems from the start, were only available on HD DVD. Two video stream decoders, ethernet connection for online content, persistent memory for extras/bookmarks etc. I'm interested to see what happens with the online stuff this year and have been throughly impressed with the content I've purchased over the last two months.

My game plan is still on track, and I'll probably get a PS3 (still iffy) when FFXIII comes out depending on reviews and my financial situation. Might pickup whatever Blu-rays I couldn't get on HD DVD, but I won't be buying another HD player other than that. So I'm still HD DVD.
Old 01-08-2007, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klutch86 View Post
Not me (Hd-DVD). Just curious, though.

I am disappointed that there is no new studio support, though - for HD-DVD.
No, I am very happy with HD DVD - and in any case I have always planned to buy into Blu-ray as well once dual format players are reasonable in price and deliver excellent performance and features for both formats.

As far as Studio support, Weinstein verified that they are exclusive to HD DVD and it is clear that New Line is also coming to HD DVD (which was not a given before). If New Line turns out to be exclusive (a big question mark at the moment, and nothing that I am counting on), then HD DVD can't possibly lose (though that does not mean that Blu-ray will lose either). If there is no mention of New Line at tonight's Blu-ray conference, then that is bad news for Blu-ray.
Old 01-08-2007, 04:32 PM

Nope, not switching. I'm not going to jump ship, having only seen a list of 5 or 6 of the 300+ expected releases for HD DVD this year. I want to see what the other 290 something titles are going to be.
Old 01-08-2007, 04:33 PM

Not a chance of any shift here , still have 7/8ths. of the studios supporting and my sammy plays fine hehe.