Toshiba, CBS to Offer "Phaser" HD DVD Remote Control - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 09-06-2007, 12:58 PM
HDD Founder

Default Toshiba, CBS to Offer "Phaser" HD DVD Remote Control

Star Trek seems to emerging as the centerpiece of the HD DVD camp's Q4 plans to woo new consumers:

just posted:
http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/sh...te_Control/937

Quote:
In hopes of sweetening the pot for Trekkies considering making the leap to high-def, Toshiba and CBS will jointly offer a one-of-a-kind HD DVD keepsake for Star Trek fans this fall.

Announced yesterday at CEDIA, the two companies say fans who buy both a Toshiba HD DVD player and the upcoming 'Star Trek: The Original Series - Season 1' HD DVD/DVD combo release will be offered an exclusive, limited edition Star Trek Phaser remote control that will operate Toshiba's HD DVD players.

Though details on exactly how the Phaser remote will be distributed and at what cost (if any) are unknown, the unusual promotion is the latest in a series of developments that would seem to put the Nov 10 'Star Trek' HD DVD release at the center of the HD DVD camp's Q4 plans.

With no accompanying stand-alone DVD being offered, the HD DVD/DVD combo release will the only way Trekkies can own the newly remastered version of the series. And while they'll still be able to watch the combo discs on a standard DVD player, it would seem that format-backers are hoping that the hours upon hours of supplements and interactive features exclusive to the high-def side of the disc will be enough to entice fans to make the leap to HD DVD.
Old 09-06-2007, 01:03 PM

A Trekkie Phaser Remote! , Give the Marketing guys a raise, those guys are really coming up with some good ideas. Now, if I could get one of those Teleporters!!! I would be set...lol
Old 09-06-2007, 01:15 PM

Hmm will a phaser remote make me want to buy an overpriced box set that I already have recorded on my HD TiVo?

I don't think so...
Old 09-06-2007, 01:17 PM

Smile

Beam me up, I want one and so will all the other real treak fans....
Old 09-06-2007, 01:21 PM

I was thinking of buying this set just for the dvds but the remote will be a bonus. Im not a trekkie or anything but my moms roomate is a HUGE Trekkie so I will probably give the remote to her for her collection.
Old 09-06-2007, 01:28 PM
HD Adult Movie Enthusiast

nice. when will star wars come out on hddvd with the light sabor remote? i really want one of them more.
Old 09-06-2007, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccphilly1984 View Post
nice. when will star wars come out on hddvd with the light sabor remote? i really want one of them more.
I have a lightsaber TV remote if you want one...
Old 09-06-2007, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDAlien View Post
Beam me up, I want one and so will all the other real treak fans....
Wouldn't a "real" trekker prefer something like a real prop from the TV show?

*wink*
Old 09-06-2007, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggdavetay View Post
A Trekkie Phaser Remote! , Give the Marketing guys a raise, those guys are really coming up with some good ideas. Now, if I could get one of those Teleporters!!! I would be set...lol
Agreed. This is a great marketing idea. Many people will want to get one, I mean... how cool is that!! Boys in blu better start getting together some eye catching marketing/sales strategies. Your ball Sony. Score already!! On the other hand, last I checked...the Star Trek season 1 collection was going to retail for $215!!! Too much for me.
Old 09-06-2007, 03:05 PM

This is going to be irresistible to all the die hard Star Trek fans. I wonder what this thing looks like?