Sony Introduces Two New Blu-ray Players - Page 3 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 09-06-2007, 02:54 AM

Default Get With It Sony!

All I want to know is if Sony is capable of producing a BluRay player for under $300.00. They already have some expensive players, how about you tell us you're coming out with a reasonable priced one (maybe it cant be done). I wouldn't mind buying one if it was affordable and had the abillity to play BluRay extra features (and an ethernet port).
Old 09-06-2007, 02:55 AM

My favourite part is this:

Quote:
While the operating feature set on the higher-end BDP-S2000ES is identical to the BDP-S500, the higher end player includes several fortifications to the player's build, including "dual shield construction" and separate boards for audio and video, which Sony says will provide for even better quality performance. The BDP-S2000ES is the first Blu-ray player to carry Sony's ES ("Elevated Standards") designation.
600 more dollars, and you get "dual shield construction". That sounds like something Monster would put in their brand of cable to make you think it is better. I really don't see the difference between the two players.
Old 09-06-2007, 05:10 AM

I am desperate to get into the HD market.

I am going with Blu because of these points:

- I like the hard coated discs
- I HATE combo/double sided discs
- I like the extra capacity, whether used for additional bitrate or special features it is always a GOOD thing
- The movies I like are from Fox, Warner, and Sony... VERY few from Paramount or Universal (I would say maybe 20-30 of my 1200 DVDs are from these two companies, and none of my favorites other than Indiana Jones)

I just wish they would:
- Get a BDJava player with ALL features and ethernet out for under $800 and good build
- Strap Fox to a tree and whip them until they cut prices by $5 a disc, include all special features, and include all unrated/extended cuts using branching

Still waiting on the player I guess...
Old 09-06-2007, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBDragon View Post
Ummm, I thought Blu-Ray had so much room that a Second Disc wouldn't be needed? Must be using Mpeg2!

As for your so called Cheaper Blu-Ray Movies. Are you kidding me? Do you not know anything? The More Expensive HD DVD version, a whole $5 by the way is because those movies are DUEL FORMAT. As in there's a HD DVD version on one side, and a DVD version on the other side. This way you can still play the movie in all your other DVD players without having to spend even more money to by a DVD version. How many people have more then 1 HD player? How about you go a a trip and you pop that movie into the DVD player in your car to keep the kids happy for example. Or you want to go watch the movie in Bed, or whatever. Your HD player is in your Main room hooked up to your Surround sound system. Really, the only problem with this is from people like yourself that think HD DVD Movies just cost more. Yes we have Duel format Disc's and HD versions with lots of extra content the Blu-Ray version lacks, but whatever makes you sleep at night.
I do know that HDDVD charges a premium so people can have the dvd version as well, which isnt fair to those who own an HDDVD player.
Im not kidding you, but apparently you are kidding yourself. It does cost more. Accept it.

Why are you complaining about 2 disc releases? I actually like 2 disc releases, because it makes me feel like they are leaving one disc for the whole movie to get a maximum bitrate. Rumor has it that Warner is going to have to make 2 disc versions of Harry Potter 5 for HDDVD, because they couldnt fit all the extras on one disc, while the bluray will be on one disc.
Old 09-06-2007, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerserkerTails View Post
600 more dollars, and you get "dual shield construction". That sounds like something Monster would put in their brand of cable to make you think it is better. I really don't see the difference between the two players.
I'm not sure I get this. Its a digital signal sent over an HDMI cable. Are the 0s and 1s better with the seperate video board? I'm not exactly an electronics engineer, maybe someone that knows this sort of thing can chime in on how a 100% digital signal can be improved.

And while I'm here, I have to say; what's with the "increasing prices" strategy? The main impact I see with these models is the effect they'll have on the entry level player; once they drop that to $399 it'll look like a "bargain" next to the $700 and $1300 players.
Old 09-06-2007, 08:29 AM
HD Adult Movie Enthusiast

higher prices mean that the product is better... you silly people... if sony says it is better, people will buy the product in the masses... no matter what cost it is...

... moreover. I have ketchup popsicles for sale... any takers? they are the best most tastiest delight ever... $700 and you can be a proud owner of one.
Old 09-06-2007, 09:09 AM

wow, $1300 is expensive. I thought these players are supposed to be getting cheaper.
Old 09-06-2007, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merrick97 View Post
Rumor has it that Warner is going to have to make 2 disc versions of Harry Potter 5 for HDDVD, because they couldnt fit all the extras on one disc, while the bluray will be on one disc.
That is if Warner doesn't pull a Paramount and become HD only...like so many people believe could happen.
Old 09-06-2007, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccphilly1984 View Post
higher prices mean that the product is better... you silly people... if sony says it is better, people will buy the product in the masses... no matter what cost it is...

... moreover. I have ketchup popsicles for sale... any takers? they are the best most tastiest delight ever... $700 and you can be a proud owner of one.
Dude. I'll totally take three of those. Would you be able to throw in a stick with those or will I have to pay extra to hold them? I heard they couldn't keep them frozen? Have they fixed that?
Old 09-06-2007, 10:56 AM

It's funny how Sony just keeps putting out the same players. I'm glad I have my PS3. So when will any of these have DTS-HD MA? Toshiba is def on the right path to cheaper cost higher quality players. I'm neutral now, but Sony please get with the program.