Cedia 2007 Predictions? - Page 16 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 09-06-2007, 12:37 AM

so what were the big annoucements at the EXPO? from what I read its just HD DVD and there 3rd gen players at affordable prices with like free movies up the wazzo.

2 new Blue Ray players still both way to expensive!
And wasnt there supposed to be an annoucement from Warner Brothers as well? All I have found online is that Speed Racer is being made by the Warchowskis, whooptie freaking doo!! :P
Old 09-06-2007, 01:54 AM

"It ain't over til' it's over!"
Old 09-06-2007, 07:48 AM

Based on this first day of Cedia, my prediction is that by the end of the expo, all High Def movie supporters will be lulled into Coma's by the shear lack of ANY valuable news.
Not that is isn't our own fault. We brought it on ourselves with Threads like this one.
It's like going to a blockbuster movie that Nobody has seen, but Everybody claims is a "have to see" movie. Only to find out it's a piece of crap.
I'll be more than happy to eat my words, if these formats decide to finally announce something worth reading. Unfortunately I have a feeling we have already heard everything that was planned for these formats.
Old 09-06-2007, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dBock View Post
Excuse me... I work at Best Buy. We're sold out of HD-DVD players and we cant keep the Addons on the shelves for the 360. I sell may one maybe two BD player a month, probably 3-5 HD-DVD players a week. Look at the numbers. HD DVD is slaughtering Bluray in attachment rates and standalone sales. 4 to 1 vs 0.7 to 1.
dBock, no offense, but I hope that you are keeping up with the latest news on this very site..Reports will be confirmed by neutral sources very soon, Standlone/Dedicated BD players (excluding PS3) have been outselling HDDVD players for the past 12 weeks (thats 3 months). If you add the 5 million PS3's sold world wide since launch in December, with the moderate figure of only 20% of them using them as BD players, then BD would be outselling HDDVD by 3:1 margin easily...and with HDDVD's own exec's proclaiming that "Gamers dont buy movies" then the sales of HDDVD add ons must be pointless and should not be counted just as the 5 million + sales of PS3's aren't put into account, even with PS3s not being put into account of overall sales, Standalone/Dedicated BLURAY players are outselling HDDVD 55% to 43%. Thats not a huge gap, but its only the beginning. Toshiba's cheap player campaign ofr $200-$300 players and Paramount/Dreamworks/Universal exclusivity deal are only prolonging the format war, i highly doubt it will help HDDVD succeede at all. But thats one man's opinion....
Old 09-06-2007, 11:27 AM

Here is some Visual proof, ofcourse Sony could be fudging up numbers, but I am sure these figures will be confirmed by several unbiased marketing and financial firms (This is from Sony's CEDIA presentation)

Old 09-06-2007, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAMNSAM77 View Post
dBock, no offense, but I hope that you are keeping up with the latest news on this very site..Reports will be confirmed by neutral sources very soon, Standlone/Dedicated BD players (excluding PS3) have been outselling HDDVD players for the past 12 weeks (thats 3 months).
I dunno about dBock, but I keep up "the latest news on this very site". The claim made buy Sony - the masters of data manipulation - is "Sony VP Chris Fawcett said that within the last 12 weeks, Blu-ray players had pulled out ahead of HD DVD". However, you claim that BD standalones "have been outselling HDDVD players for the past 12 weeks". Do you have insider information that even a VP of Sony doesn't have? Or do you just have dyslexia? Or are you just fond of spread FUD?

EDIT: Ah, you're visual "proof" how interesting.

It was just a week or so at IFA that Sony claimed "In US Blu-ray has 63% standalone unit market share", so I wonder which it is?

EDIT #2: Since both this very site's news & the Video Business article state that Sony VP Chris Fawcett "declined to declined to provide exact market share percentages of the two sides" yet your visual "proof" shows a chart with the exact percentages, what is the source of that chart?

Last edited by Cochise; 09-06-2007 at 11:51 AM.
Old 09-06-2007, 01:50 PM

I see no information on that picture that says they are just comparing "Stand alone" Players.
They can fudge the numbers all they want.