Cedia 2007 Predictions? - Page 11 - High-Def Digest Forums
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #101  
Old 08-30-2007, 05:29 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 5,360
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIHB View Post
or heading to blu ray, because they would have to catch up on "owed titles" and pull warner bros and universal where disney and fox are jsut getting back into the game (injured players)
Except if they went to HD DVD they would still have to pull Disney, Fox, Lionsgate and Sony to the HD DVD side as well as every CE manufacturer. If they went to Blu-ray they would only have to pull Paramount, Universal and Toshiba.
  #102  
Old 08-30-2007, 05:34 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 5,360
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wulf View Post
WoW a big 35 units you say! You see this is the reason Studios are gettig pissed at Blu-ray! That number should atleast 350 or 3,500 for that year. Can't you guys see that? Look Sony has everyone but really Universal (that's not the case now!) and this is all they could do? That's why studios are ready to try somethig else!
You know custom installers do about 150 installs a year, don't you? How do you sell 3500 players to 120 people?
  #103  
Old 08-30-2007, 05:35 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 5,360
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switched2BD View Post
A few of the other high end CUSTOM( Not Big Box) here dont even carry the HD DVD players.
We don't. Custom installers are loyal to the brands they carry, and Toshiba is not a custom installer company.
  #104  
Old 08-30-2007, 05:42 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 5,360
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volume 11 View Post
And the wealthy elite who can invest 10 or 20 grand into a home theatre are smart enough to know that the BD you are shadily selling them will be obsolete come OCt.....
Let me tell you something. You are a smart guy so you should be able to understand this:

Rich people are too busy making money to know that DVD players don't require rewinding. I'm not kidding, true story.

They buy a theater because their friends have one, they aren't technical. We have had two technical guys in the last year, and one of them works for Google, and was an architect on Windows. The rest of the people are pretty oblivious. They hold the custom programmed remote upside down and think its broken.

Last year we had a meeting to decide what we were going to do with the high-def formats. We decided the best course of action was to recommend DVD players because they're awesome. So we stuck with DVD players for months. Then one person called and asked for Blu-ray players. We went to their house and traded their DVD players for Blu-ray players. We've had several people do exactly this. We've had one client ask for an HD DVD player this whole time, and one person called asking if we carried them (we're not retail, so we don't "carry" anything).

We still tell clients to buy DVD, but a lot of them are now asking about Blu-ray.

I know this doesn't mean much, but maybe you can understand the custom install business a little better.
  #105  
Old 08-30-2007, 05:46 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 5,360
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by emjay View Post
I have to wonder though, are you careful about recommending a high def format to your customers? The company who installed my custom setup wouldn't give an opinion at all for fear that I'd be calling in a year complaining the format is dead.
This is why our company chose to recommend DVD. Custom installers have to keep a relationship with the clients, and the product we sell has to be reliable, and it has to be easy to use.
  #106  
Old 08-30-2007, 05:47 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 5,360
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merrick97 View Post
Come OCtober? Are you really that naive to think that bluray will be dead by then?
He's talking about the mandatory spec switch for Blu-ray.
  #107  
Old 08-30-2007, 05:53 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 5,360
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volume 11 View Post
word on the street is most people are staying away from both formats, but HD DVD players being used as dedicated STAND ALONE players are more common.
What street? Do you even know any custom installers?

There is a furniture store here that now carries TVs. They carry Mitsubishi and Sony. Guess what they're pushing now? Blu-ray. Their competitor down the street carries Mitsubishi and Samsung. Are they carrying HD DVD?

The other custom installers in our area carry Fujitsu, LG, Sony, Samsung, Pioneer, and Panasonic. You know how many of them carry Toshiba? None. Toshiba is not a custom installer's company - at least around here. There are four installers here and none of them carry Toshiba.
  #108  
Old 08-30-2007, 05:56 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 5,360
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volume 11 View Post
Exactly. Thats the benfit of a finalized and enforced spec...hence my argument towards Mr. BD SAs sell 8:1 over HD DVD in MY STORE.
In my store its probably closer to 8:0 or higher. Why is it hard to believe that different regions and different retailers have different customers? Especially in the installation biz where most everyone is referred from a friend, so they want exactly what their friend has.
  #109  
Old 08-30-2007, 06:55 PM
Das Koopa's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 420
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volume 11 View Post
Its BS.

Most people ARENT buying SA BD players. And the wealthy elite who can invest 10 or 20 grand into a home theatre are smart enough to know that the BD you are shadily selling them will be obsolete come OCt....

Or they are just rich morons...


Either way Im calling BS.
Kudos, if your a high end home theater store then you should only be selling combo players to assure the customer that there new product is going to last no matter what!
  #110  
Old 08-30-2007, 07:24 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 5,360
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Das Koopa View Post
Kudos, if your a high end home theater store then you should only be selling combo players to assure the customer that there new product is going to last no matter what!
Our company is considering doing exactly this if the Samsung player turns out to be reliable. The only real complaint we've had so far is the load times on discs because people are so used to quick DVD players.
 

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Integra Introduces its First HD DVD Player at 2007 CEDIA Expo diabolo CEDIA 2007: General Discussion 47 09-16-2007 12:50 AM
HD DVD Press Conference report from CEDIA Mark Booth High Definition Smackdown 25 09-06-2007 02:56 AM
Cedia nramsay General Discussion: Both Formats 0 09-04-2007 11:22 PM
CEDIA EXPO 2007 Thead BuyHDOnline Feedback 3 08-29-2007 07:57 PM
cedia interview with joe kane on vc1 and mpeg2 mossman72 General Discussion: Both Formats 4 11-24-2006 09:40 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off