quick question about star wars - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 12-05-2009, 05:12 PM

Default quick question about star wars

are they forecasted to hit bluray any time soon. i really want a set in my home (having only seen the original star wars), but i dont want to buy the dvd just yet, if im going to end up upgrading in a few weeks.
Old 12-05-2009, 05:23 PM
blu_sharpy

If I were you, I'd buy the DVD cause its gonna be a long wait. It nearly killed Lucas to release his precious Star Wars on DVD so god knows what it will take to get him to release it on Blu-ray.
Old 12-05-2009, 05:24 PM

Your guess is as good as anyone's. Lucas waits until a format has reached a good saturation level to guarantee that he makes a lot of money. He has demonstrated time and time again that he doesn't care what his fans want. It'll probably be another 2-3 years at least. He waited until 2004 to release the original trilogy on DVD, which was 7 years after DVD came out in the U.S.
Old 12-05-2009, 05:26 PM

It took 7 years for Star Wars to hit DVD, I wouldn't expect bluray versions for another 3 years at least, along with further tweaking I'm sure. I think Lucas has gone on record as saying he wants to see if Bluray reaches mass penetration before committing to releasing them on blu.
Old 12-05-2009, 05:41 PM

The dvd versions are excellent quality and cheap so i wouldn't wait for the blu rays.
Old 12-05-2009, 06:13 PM

Also don't rule out that the Star Wars movies are being converted to 3-D and 3-D should start hitting home theaters in 2010. If that's the case don't expect Star Wars until home 3-D hits a decent saturation level. 3-D will give Lucas a nice hook to sell the movies to fans once again.
Old 12-05-2009, 06:24 PM

Lucas is a tool.
Old 12-05-2009, 07:54 PM

I would hope that we wouldn't have to wait quite as long for the Blu-Ray, but its not looking good right now. Its possible they will time the release with the launch of the tv series, whenever that is.

I don't mind if they are the modified Special Editions, but I hope they end up using better transfers without the weird color problems of the DVDs (like Darth Vader's pinkish lightsaber).
Old 12-05-2009, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneManShow View Post
Your guess is as good as anyone's. Lucas waits until a format has reached a good saturation level to guarantee that he makes a lot of money. He has demonstrated time and time again that he doesn't care what his fans want. It'll probably be another 2-3 years at least. He waited until 2004 to release the original trilogy on DVD, which was 7 years after DVD came out in the U.S.
Im all for free markets and capitalism..but how much focking money could he possibly need? Dont you eventually start running out of things to buy?

Im the world biggest Star Wars fan but damn George, just do the blus already.
Old 12-05-2009, 08:00 PM

it looks like its going to be dvd for me...

also, somewhat unrelated, are the lord of the rings extendeds going to be coming anytime soon--is there any point in buying the theatricals if not?