Walkabout (Nic Roeg) - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 10-31-2009, 12:34 PM

Default Walkabout (Nic Roeg)

I have already raised this on the Criterion thread. One of the truly great films of Nicholas Roeg very nearly got a release courtesy of Criterion. This, however, has been mysteriously dropped and once again we are in a waiting situation.
There were many wrangles over rights regarding various releases on DVD and I wonder if this has raised its head once again re a release?

A film of incredible beauty and yet unflinchingly harsh in its depiction of two stranded children trying to survive in the Outback after the suicide of their father, and his botched attempt to kill them too.
They are aided by a young aborigine on his 'Walkabout' - a ritual to manhood.
Roeg chronicles the adventures of these three people as they navigate the Outback in all of its incredible beauty and savage reality.
A bold and visionary film that is frankly timeless and that last scene of wistful recollection stays long in the viewer's own memory...

The outstanding score was composed by that master of many such cinematic themes - John Barry and it would be really something to hear this in HD sound. Frankly this is a brilliant film that will look and sound superb on and is crying out for that release asap.

Here is the original trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3x186...eature=related
Old 10-31-2009, 02:03 PM

I love 'Walkabout' and a Blu-ray release would be freaking brilliant and gorgeous.
Unfollow me at twitter: @MEnoisDuarte

Movies are so rarely great art that if we cannot appreciate great trash
we have very little reason to be interested in them.

~ Pauline Kael
Old 11-01-2009, 05:08 AM

Criterion's decision not to release as yet remains a mystery, especially as they had prepared a new transfer for the release.
European distributors such as Uca and Ascot Elite don't seem to have any plans for a release of Walkabout on either.