The Abyss - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 10-08-2009, 12:28 PM

Default The Abyss

Anyone know if there is any news on this coming to Blu Ray? I still have a non-anamorphic DVD version of this movie and would LOVE to see it on Blu Ray.

Curious if there are any plans for this, especially with Avatar coming out soon. Perhaps they'll do something around the launch of the Avatar blu-ray?
Old 10-08-2009, 12:43 PM

Back in laserdisc days The Abyss was one of the premier home video titles. It's strange that we don't even have an anamorphic DVD of it. I've read some comments by the producer Van Ling that James Cameron wants the time to do the transfer right, which probably means doing it after Avatar is out.
Old 10-08-2009, 06:52 PM

I've heard James has been working on The Abyss for some time now? I always though it was an excuse to avoid the lynch mob of people begging to have Titanic on Blu....

I enjoy both films!

Come on JC.....Crack da whip!!

Old 12-09-2009, 10:00 AM

I've seen the ABYSS rumors for 2010 and hope it really comes out. While I prefer the Special Edition, I hope they have both versions.
Old 12-11-2009, 01:07 PM

I would definitely buy the SE version of The Abyss on BD. Let's hope it does happen next year.
Old 12-11-2009, 01:14 PM

I love both versions of the film, and definitely want them to include both. This is one of my favorites.
Old 12-11-2009, 05:36 PM

I've always loved The Abyss and would definately buy it on day one. I still watch my DVD copy about once a month. However, if I must make one request, please please please make both versions available on one disc. The theatrical was great, but the extra depth (no pun intended) to the film via the special edition is something all fans of the film need to experience. This could be a HUGE seller if it's done right.
Old 12-13-2009, 04:38 PM

Yeah, this is the one James Cameron film I'm actually looking forward to.

It never got a decent DVD release though. Non anamorphic rubbish.
Old 01-08-2010, 11:01 PM

Red face

Could not WAIT any longer...
sooooo picked up its second-cousin "Sphere" used.
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Sphere...y-Review/3962/
Better than I remember.
It will NEVER take the place of the "Abyss";
however for some underwater fun,
was enough too make my night!

Hope we all don't have too wait much longer for the REAL thing!
Old 01-08-2010, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumina View Post
I've always loved The Abyss and would definately buy it on day one. I still watch my DVD copy about once a month. However, if I must make one request, please please please make both versions available on one disc. The theatrical was great, but the extra depth (no pun intended) to the film via the special edition is something all fans of the film need to experience. This could be a HUGE seller if it's done right.
I agree, both versions of the film are NEEDED for this release. The theatrical cut is awesome, but the directors cut adds A LOT to the storyline.