Heavy Metal (1981) - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 09-12-2009, 12:57 PM

Default Heavy Metal (1981)

One of my guiltiest pleasures is this 1981 outing from director Ivan Reitman which is trashy, loud, puerile, takes an adolescent male's fantasy view on women, and just about ignores pretty much everything else that resembles decorum... It is however hugely entertaining in its OTT way and has a great soft rock soundtrack from the likes of Don Felder, Nazareth, Sammy Hagar, heap trick, Stevie Nicks and many others. As such I would just lurve to see this hit . Sure the animation is very cheap in many places due to budget cutbacks imposed on the film at the time from a not so convinced Columbia.
However, some of the original, classical animation did survive and would look great in 1080p. Equally that rocking soundtrack would be a stunner in Dolby TrueHD.

A huge hit for Columbia on release in 1981 - the film grossed over $100 million in the US alone. Now that David Fincher (no less) is helming a live action remake and directing at least one segment, along with James Cameron, Zack Snyder, and others, we may well get to see the original blast its way onto courtesy of Columbia/Sony.
Harry Canyon, Captain Stern, B-17, So Beautiful So Dangerous, Taarna, Den and the rest of the gang in 1080p?
Yes please.

Last edited by The Limey; 09-12-2009 at 01:09 PM.
Old 09-12-2009, 01:08 PM

Yeah, visual fx master John Bruno worked on this as well.

My favorite story is Taxi driver, the zombies in WWII, and the finale with the blonde/white haired woman.
Old 09-12-2009, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheez avenger View Post
Yeah, visual fx master John Bruno worked on this as well.

My favorite story is Taxi driver, the zombies in WWII, and the finale with the blonde/white haired woman.
Harry Canyon is a hoot from start to finish, B-17 was written by Dan O'Bannon from Alien no less, and Taarna has some of the original animation that survived the cost cutting.
I still laugh at the sequence of the robot and the Earth girl though.
Old 09-13-2009, 10:52 PM

Cool, I would love to see this in Blu-ray