Star Wars on Blu-ray - High-Def Digest Forums
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-27-2009, 01:00 PM
wossman's Avatar
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 9
Unhappy Star Wars on Blu-ray

Now that the Lord of the Rings trilogy is about to be released in November, the extended editions are expected next year, the Star Trek movies are available and the Star Trek Next Generation movies are announced, the last hold-out mega-franchise to hit Blu-ray is Star Wars.

What the hell is George Lucas Waiting for?!?!?!

Does anyone have some inside info?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-27-2009, 01:16 PM
Dack's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,490
Default

I think Star Wars is going to take awhile. If you remember it took years before it hit DVD.

Fox is going to wait for some special event it coincides with I think, or maybe wait until Blu-ray is the main media format so it can get all the buyers it can.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-27-2009, 01:20 PM
paaron46's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 3,788
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wossman View Post
Now that the Lord of the Rings trilogy is about to be released in November, the extended editions are expected next year, the Star Trek movies are available and the Star Trek Next Generation movies are announced, the last hold-out mega-franchise to hit Blu-ray is Star Wars.

What the hell is George Lucas Waiting for?!?!?!

Does anyone have some inside info?
Indiana Jones still hasn't received a solid release date either Tons of rumors, but nothing concrete.
__________________
Become a FAN of The Reel Place!

Twitter: @AaronPeck
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-27-2009, 01:31 PM
crazzeto's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 14,885
Default

don't expect Star wars for a long time, Lucas does understand that he can make a bigger splash waiting for greater market penetration. Look at how long it took for Star Wars to make it to DVD for instance! It'll get there, but you'll have to wait longer than you do for LOTR
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-27-2009, 01:42 PM
The_Doctor's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 2,321
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazzeto View Post
don't expect Star wars for a long time, Lucas does understand that he can make a bigger splash waiting for greater market penetration. Look at how long it took for Star Wars to make it to DVD for instance! It'll get there, but you'll have to wait longer than you do for LOTR
No he understands it exactly. The number of first week/first month sales he would this year or next and the weak sales trickling in there after, compared to a strong entrance to large market hungry for Star Wars.

I'm sure he is checking his Clone Wars sales and Indiana Jones and if those get good that might impress him favorably. Although didn't he wait for 2004 for the Star War DVD release? and few years after that for the fans who wanted the original unadulterated trilogy.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-27-2009, 01:48 PM
Lee Stewart's Avatar
Formerly "HDTV Addict"
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 18,405
Default

Lucas is experimenting with re-releasing his Star Wars movies in 3D:

http://www.imdb.com/news/ni0266383/

If this is true then it will be years before they make it to BD.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-27-2009, 01:52 PM
crazzeto's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 14,885
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Doctor View Post
No he understands it exactly. The number of first week/first month sales he would this year or next and the weak sales trickling in there after, compared to a strong entrance to large market hungry for Star Wars.

I'm sure he is checking his Clone Wars sales and Indiana Jones and if those get good that might impress him favorably. Although didn't he wait for 2004 for the Star War DVD release? and few years after that for the fans who wanted the original unadulterated trilogy.
Are you disagreeing which what I said? My post suggest that Lucas understands the market well enough to know to wait for greater market penetration. Your post starts out seemingly disagreeing with me, then states the same thing differently.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-27-2009, 02:33 PM
wossman's Avatar
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 9
Default

My suspicions have been the same views voiced here but I was just throwing the question out there in case there was some leaked news I might have missed along the way.

I'm not sure I entirely agree that releasing the movies now would result in a spike then dwindling sales though. To date Planet Earth has been on Amazon's top 100 Blu-ray sales chart for 908(!!!) days. That's some serious staying power for a documentary no matter how majestic it looks. Transformers and Iron Man have been on there for 420 and 313 days respectively. The Ultimate Matrix Collection has been there for 367 days. In fact, all of these title are in the top 50 right now. I'm sure a Star Wars release would do infinitely better than any of those.

In the end it all boils down to the whims and fancies of George Lucas, but George, if you're listening, the Force is strong with Blu-ray and we are ready to shell out our hard earned cash for your movies in the format.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-27-2009, 02:47 PM
squall4008's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,653
Default

you also forgot BttF, Indiana Jones, Jurassic Park and Aliens. They will all come eventually, you just have to have patience.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-27-2009, 05:55 PM
The_Doctor's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 2,321
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazzeto View Post
Are you disagreeing which what I said? My post suggest that Lucas understands the market well enough to know to wait for greater market penetration. Your post starts out seemingly disagreeing with me, then states the same thing differently.
First part was responding in to this only
Quote:
Lucas does understand that he can make a bigger splash waiting for greater market penetration.
I think he does know what kind of hoopla there would be. But I think he looks at like he looked at DVD. It isn't ready yet. Hell his people at THX do not believe in blu. He (Lucas)is so damned protective of his formats I wonder why he was on board with Laser Disc?

I fundamentally agree with your conclusions. But I think we took different roads to get there. I was more intending my comment for the post you responded to but this system doesn't allow a quote in a quote
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
'Star Wars' Games Now Part of the 'Star Wars' Canon Brian Hoss Game Room 8 04-26-2014 03:26 PM
More Star Wars Clone Wars on Blu-ray? Attebery Blu-ray Software General Discussion 73 07-17-2009 10:55 PM
First 'Star Wars: The Clone Wars' Trailer! Master X Film Forum 5 04-14-2008 04:49 PM
Warner to release Star Wars Clone Wars in theaters Aug 15th Htown-D High Definition Smackdown 16 02-12-2008 10:21 PM
Star Wars: "The Clone Wars" Trailer!. Upcoming animated series. nelll Film Forum 8 05-31-2007 01:18 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off