Star Wars on Blu-ray - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 07-27-2009, 01:00 PM

Unhappy Star Wars on Blu-ray

Now that the Lord of the Rings trilogy is about to be released in November, the extended editions are expected next year, the Star Trek movies are available and the Star Trek Next Generation movies are announced, the last hold-out mega-franchise to hit Blu-ray is Star Wars.

What the hell is George Lucas Waiting for?!?!?!

Does anyone have some inside info?
Old 07-27-2009, 01:16 PM

I think Star Wars is going to take awhile. If you remember it took years before it hit DVD.

Fox is going to wait for some special event it coincides with I think, or maybe wait until Blu-ray is the main media format so it can get all the buyers it can.
Old 07-27-2009, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wossman View Post
Now that the Lord of the Rings trilogy is about to be released in November, the extended editions are expected next year, the Star Trek movies are available and the Star Trek Next Generation movies are announced, the last hold-out mega-franchise to hit Blu-ray is Star Wars.

What the hell is George Lucas Waiting for?!?!?!

Does anyone have some inside info?
Indiana Jones still hasn't received a solid release date either Tons of rumors, but nothing concrete.

Twitter: @AaronPeck
Old 07-27-2009, 01:31 PM

don't expect Star wars for a long time, Lucas does understand that he can make a bigger splash waiting for greater market penetration. Look at how long it took for Star Wars to make it to DVD for instance! It'll get there, but you'll have to wait longer than you do for LOTR
Old 07-27-2009, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazzeto View Post
don't expect Star wars for a long time, Lucas does understand that he can make a bigger splash waiting for greater market penetration. Look at how long it took for Star Wars to make it to DVD for instance! It'll get there, but you'll have to wait longer than you do for LOTR
No he understands it exactly. The number of first week/first month sales he would this year or next and the weak sales trickling in there after, compared to a strong entrance to large market hungry for Star Wars.

I'm sure he is checking his Clone Wars sales and Indiana Jones and if those get good that might impress him favorably. Although didn't he wait for 2004 for the Star War DVD release? and few years after that for the fans who wanted the original unadulterated trilogy.
Old 07-27-2009, 01:48 PM
Formerly "HDTV Addict"

Lucas is experimenting with re-releasing his Star Wars movies in 3D:

http://www.imdb.com/news/ni0266383/

If this is true then it will be years before they make it to BD.
Old 07-27-2009, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Doctor View Post
No he understands it exactly. The number of first week/first month sales he would this year or next and the weak sales trickling in there after, compared to a strong entrance to large market hungry for Star Wars.

I'm sure he is checking his Clone Wars sales and Indiana Jones and if those get good that might impress him favorably. Although didn't he wait for 2004 for the Star War DVD release? and few years after that for the fans who wanted the original unadulterated trilogy.
Are you disagreeing which what I said? My post suggest that Lucas understands the market well enough to know to wait for greater market penetration. Your post starts out seemingly disagreeing with me, then states the same thing differently.
Old 07-27-2009, 02:33 PM

My suspicions have been the same views voiced here but I was just throwing the question out there in case there was some leaked news I might have missed along the way.

I'm not sure I entirely agree that releasing the movies now would result in a spike then dwindling sales though. To date Planet Earth has been on Amazon's top 100 Blu-ray sales chart for 908(!!!) days. That's some serious staying power for a documentary no matter how majestic it looks. Transformers and Iron Man have been on there for 420 and 313 days respectively. The Ultimate Matrix Collection has been there for 367 days. In fact, all of these title are in the top 50 right now. I'm sure a Star Wars release would do infinitely better than any of those.

In the end it all boils down to the whims and fancies of George Lucas, but George, if you're listening, the Force is strong with Blu-ray and we are ready to shell out our hard earned cash for your movies in the format.
Old 07-27-2009, 02:47 PM

you also forgot BttF, Indiana Jones, Jurassic Park and Aliens. They will all come eventually, you just have to have patience.
Old 07-27-2009, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazzeto View Post
Are you disagreeing which what I said? My post suggest that Lucas understands the market well enough to know to wait for greater market penetration. Your post starts out seemingly disagreeing with me, then states the same thing differently.
First part was responding in to this only
Quote:
Lucas does understand that he can make a bigger splash waiting for greater market penetration.
I think he does know what kind of hoopla there would be. But I think he looks at like he looked at DVD. It isn't ready yet. Hell his people at THX do not believe in blu. He (Lucas)is so damned protective of his formats I wonder why he was on board with Laser Disc?

I fundamentally agree with your conclusions. But I think we took different roads to get there. I was more intending my comment for the post you responded to but this system doesn't allow a quote in a quote