Robot Carnival and Memories - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 03-17-2009, 01:06 PM

Default Robot Carnival and Memories

I saw this article on Robot Carnival, one of my first artistic pieces I've ever viewed. Unfortunately Robot Carnival was only released on VHS, not sure about LD, in the states but no DVD. I could gush about the visuals however this article writes about it better than I could. http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/buri...ure/2006-10-26

If you are like me and interested in the Golden Age of anime being released on Blu, to be honest not sure what to do but I would suggest tracking down the VHS or what many consider a companion piece Memories.

excerpt from the article who made it:
Katsuhiro Otomo (Akira, Steamboy)

Yasuomi Umetsu (Kite, Mezzo DSA)

Hiroyuki Kitakubo (Blood: The Last Vampire, Golden Boy)

Koji Morimoto (Animatrix, Memories: Magnetic Rose)

Hidetoshi Omori (Gundam Seed, Dan Doh!!)

Hiroyuki Kitazume (Gundam: Char's Counterattack, Armitage III)

Takashi Nakamura (Fantastic Children, A Tree of Palme)
Old 03-17-2009, 06:33 PM

Robot Carnival was released on DVD in Japan and in Korea. Both releases were limited editions and came with a book and a plastic sleeve. I own the Japanese release. The English dub was included as well as the original Japanese, but the English subtitles were "dubtitles" (which was unfortunate since the English dub added a lot of extra dialogue). Only two segments contained any dialogue anyway.

The DVD was not anamorphic, but one segment ("Cloud") was 4:3. The rest of the movie was slightly letterboxed.

Robot Carnival was released in the U.S. on LD by Streamline. However, the order of the segments was altered and the original end credits were reduced to a fuzzy extra after the feature.

Memories is available on Blu-ray in Japan, and Japan is region A. The only problem is that it doesn't have English subtitles.
Old 03-17-2009, 11:45 PM

So it's not on Blu in Japan then. Well that needs to be corrected.
Old 03-18-2009, 11:48 AM

Not yet. Classic anime titles have been slowly coming out in Japan, but the prices are still quite high. Bandai Visual's release of Memories is in the $100 range. The current exchange rate doesn't help.

A few AIC titles have been released on Blu: Bubblegum Crisis, Riding Bean, Zeorymer and the upcoming Tenchi Muyo! movies. They're all pretty expensive.