Alien and Aiens - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 04-12-2008, 02:14 PM

Default Alien and Aliens

When will they be released on ? I first saw Alien in the theatres when I was 8. Since then I've looked at nothing but VHS and good but not good enough DVD. I've never seen Aliens other than on VHS and DVD.

Last edited by jgriffaz; 04-12-2008 at 05:24 PM.
Old 04-12-2008, 05:09 PM

I second that. I actually am most concerned with just Alien. The acting in that movie was incredible. That is the movie that was WAY ahead of its time. I remember I was 7 when my dad took me to see it. I fainted when the alien popped out of his chest.

I have seen that movie over 100 times since.

It is and will always be my favorite all time movie.
Old 04-16-2008, 11:05 AM

I'm sure Alien would be a worthy upgrade, but Aliens in HD...well...I really don't know till I've seen what they would do with it. I mean it's a grainy film, and if they don't do it right it will look bad. I have a feeling it will fall in the Predator tier.
Old 04-16-2008, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgriffaz View Post
I first saw Alien in the theatres when I was 8.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chipvideo View Post
I remember I was 7 when my dad took me to see it.
You two must have had some interesting childhoods...
Old 04-17-2008, 07:01 PM

I personally didn't have a problem with the Predator Blu-ray. I would like to see all the Alien movies come to Blu-ray. The 3rd was one of my favorites and I'd take the 4th just for completion purposes.
Old 04-18-2008, 12:39 PM
Formerly candymangt

I want all 4 Alien movies on Blu + add Predator 2 now that we have the first one released.
Old 04-18-2008, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillFrugge View Post
You two must have had some interesting childhoods...
Growing up in Alaska in a fishing family going to the movies was a treat.

My father is a Sci Fi nut. He loves his sci fi.

It was pretty fun. I would go fishing on the docks and under the cannery when I was 7 with my friends. It was a small island and you had to do something. We were trained well though. ALways wore life jackets.

I never learned the birds and the bees from my parents. I learned it from looking at the smut mags on the boat. LOL.

Heck lots of people duck hunt and funny thing is kids actually brought their shotguns to school and kept them in their lockers and it was ok. Of course that was in the early 80's. I don't think they are allowed to do that anymore.
Old 04-19-2008, 01:33 AM

Aliens definitely needs some sprucing up. The sound needs a good remix "Star Wars" style. It's very front heavy.

It will also need all of the excellent extras from the laserdisc and the quadrilogy. Not to mention the legacy set.
Old 05-13-2008, 10:52 PM

Just signing my name to the list. It seems a lot of huge movie franchises are conspicuously absent from Blu Ray. Hello? Star Wars? Indiana Jones? Anybody!?
Old 05-18-2008, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgriffaz View Post
...I've looked at nothing but VHS and good but not good enough DVD....
Quote:
Originally Posted by chipvideo View Post
I second that. I actually am most concerned with just Alien. ...

I have seen that movie over 100 times since.

It is and will always be my favorite all time movie.
In case either of you can't wait any longer, there IS an existing D-VHS D-Theater 1080i/DTS 1.5mbps tape that Fox produced in limited quantity a few years back. It is the remastered Director's Cut released to theaters around the same time. If you check eBay regularly for "D-VHS", you might be able to snag a copy for about $100. (Of course, you'll need to pick up a D-VHS player, too --model JVC 4000 or newer to play DTS audio. An expensive option, yes.)

I don't have a copy, but based upon seeing the (albeit 1.78:1-cropped) HBO HD telecast about a year ago; this is a fantastic restoration/awesome video quality. Looks like it was filmed yesterday.