Richard Stanley's Dust Devil - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 10-24-2010, 11:17 AM

Default Richard Stanley's Dust Devil

One of my favourite films within the Horror Genre is Richard Stanley's incredible Dust Devil.
Released into cinemas in a severely truncated cut due to distributor insistence, it soon fell off the radar as just another hack and slash film (albeit with interesting locations). However, in 2006 the film was restored by Stanley for a DVD release to something close to its original cut, and the missing scenes of a supernatural nature rightly reclaimed their place.

Set in Namibia, at the time of that country's independence from South Africa, Dust Devil follows the exploits of a murderous, hitchhiking nomad (played by Robert John Burke) who after butchering and dismembering his victims, retains their fingers. This nomad subsequently is revealed to be much more than human, and in fact is a 'Dust Devil' from African folklore - a shape shifting demon who preys on the lonely, despondent and vulnerable, and collects their souls to buy his way into an afterlife.
A depressed housewife (well played by Chelsea Field) flees her husband in South Africa and drives into Namibia's desolate badlands, hoping to lose herself in this bleak but beautiful wilderness. However, she is drawn to the Dust Devil and soon finds that there are far worse things than depression and failed marriage to have to cope with.
Hunting this other worldly killer, is an ageing South African policeman, superbly played by Zakes Mokae (The Serpent And The Rainbow, A Dry White Season). Before long this policeman learns the nature of his quarry and living somewhat on the edge himself, following the death of his wife and child, realises that he too is a potential victim...
The films narrator is John Matshikiza who plays a Namibian shaman. He it is who advises Mokae's policeman as to the true nature of the quarry that he is attempting to hunt down...
Boasting a stupendous score by Simon Boswell, the film is also visually stunning with its Namibian desert locations and real life ghost towns.
All the cast acquit themselves well as the story with its theme of desolation plays out to its grim conclusion. The walls separating reality and otherworldliness are blurred in this film, and the visions experienced by the film's principals seem to meld into real life. Destitute individuals, dying towns, and a barren and stunningly beautiful landscape combine to give a visual feast of a film which lingers long in the memory after having been viewed.

Would be absolutely STUNNING on
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrPSuTEISpg

Old 10-24-2010, 11:32 AM

I have that limited collectors edition, good movie and i'd buy it on blu ray.
Old 10-24-2010, 12:38 PM

Ah, 'Dust Devil' would be grand, but 'Hardware' is likely the only thing we'll see from Stanley in a while.
Unfollow me at twitter: @MEnoisDuarte

Movies are so rarely great art that if we cannot appreciate great trash
we have very little reason to be interested in them.

~ Pauline Kael
Old 10-24-2010, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxyMulder View Post
I have that limited collectors edition, good movie and i'd buy it on blu ray.
Yes I have that too. There was a European release of the film that was completely uncut - the subversive version is not quite the full cut, despite Stanley's best efforts...

Quote:
Originally Posted by eNoize View Post
Ah, 'Dust Devil' would be grand, but 'Hardware' is likely the only thing we'll see from Stanley in a while.
Hopefully Optimum may do a similar restoration a la Hardware.
Old 10-25-2010, 10:11 PM

I remember watching this on VHS back in the day. I was a youngster. It was trippy as hell, but even then, I could tell it was chopped to hell. It was so incoherent.

I hope Stanley gets the opportunity to assemble a real cut.
Old 10-30-2010, 12:18 PM

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/4275/dustdevil.html
Old 01-11-2013, 11:01 AM

O.M.G.

Quote:
Are there any plans for a Blu-ray release of DUST DEVIL?
Yes, DUST DEVIL will have an incarnation on Blu-ray soon. It will find its way back into Walmart again.
The five-disc DVD set is a fine box set. It's another example of the Curse of Dust Devil. Norm Hill of Subversive Cinema managed to put that together and put it out, and sold every single copy of it. Subversive still went to the wall anyway. 

If you were to go back in time and meet the younger version of yourself about to make DUST DEVIL, what advice would you give him?

I'd probably advise him not to do it! Career-wise I would have been in a much better place had I just made a HARDWARE sequel or done something a bit more commercial like the JUDGE DREDD (1995) movie I was offered. Doing something as uncommercial as DUST DEVIL at that point in my career was probably arrogant. On the other hand, it was probably the only opportunity I would have ever had to make that particular movie. 

http://www.money-into-light.com/2012...wlands_14.html