The Ghost And The Darkness - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 10-10-2010, 09:58 AM

Default The Ghost And The Darkness

One of my very favourite films from the mid 1990s was Stephen Hopkins' The Ghost And The Darkness which was his recreation of the true saga of the man eating lions at Tsavo that killed many railway workers in 1896 Kenya.
Sure it departs from the reality of the actual events at times but it remains a great film to watch, packed full of suspense, a cast that really get stuck into their roles, and the lion sequences remain genuinely scary.

Throw in Jerry Goldsmith's superlative score for this film and you have some pretty compelling reasons to see this out on
Old 10-10-2010, 11:32 AM

Agreed. I'd buy this one for sure.
Old 10-11-2010, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Limey View Post

One of my very favourite films from the mid 1990s was Stephen Hopkins' The Ghost And The Darkness which was his recreation of the true saga of the man eating lions at Tsavo that killed many railway workers in 1896 Kenya.
Sure it departs from the reality of the actual events at times but it remains a great film to watch, packed full of suspense, a cast that really get stuck into their roles, and the lion sequences remain genuinely scary.

Throw in Jerry Goldsmith's superlative score for this film and you have some pretty compelling reasons to see this out on
Yah it's funny how they try and say it's unusual for lions to hunt together in the film when in reality they do hunt together and work together in prides to kill their prey thus not that unusual, i also remember reading up on the real story and it's funny how Hollywood changes so many things just to make the story better.

Jerry Goldsmith's score is superb and i did really like this film, i think the dvd edition had a 2:1 aspect ratio and it would be nice if they redid it in the original 2.35:1 aspect.

I think this is Paramount so i wouldn't really hold out any hope for a great disc and that would put me off buying it, the movie really came alive when Michael Douglas came into it, his character reminded me a little of the one he played in Romancing The Stone and he brought real energy to the role and the film.
Old 10-11-2010, 02:11 PM

This and Val Kilmer's Thunderheart would be really welcome on blu ray.