Michael Mann's The Keep - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 03-01-2010, 04:20 PM

Default Michael Mann's The Keep

Opening to mediocre business and a largely hostile critical reception, Michael Mann's 93 mins adapation of the excellent novel by F. Paul Wilson remains a failure in the eyes of many. Over the years though it has gained a large cult following who have repeatedly asked for the film to be released on DVD but to date that has never happened (officially) in any territory. Released on laserdisc and VHS only, differences between various video releases started to emerge. Also TV companies across the world seemed to show versions with different endings and previously unseen footage.

All of which underscores a wide held belief that Mann's original cut of this film was around the 3 hour mark, and after Paramount fired him for a budget overrun, they cut the film to the largely incomprehensible mess that it is today to anyone who has not read the book. However, standalone scenes are still strong in their own right and give a glimpse as to what Mann's original vision might have been. The film boasts an impressive (and uber rare) Tangerine Dream soundtrack. A very strong cast includes Jurgen Prochnow, Ian Mckellen, Gabriel Byrne, and Scott Glen.

Frankly I would love to see a restored Director's Cut of this film released on with maybe all or as much of the missing footage as possible. Then the film could be viewed (and judged) in the way that Michael Mann originally intended.

http://www.reelzchannel.com/movie/183967/the-keep

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofoomtxxzAE

Old 03-01-2010, 06:12 PM

Woah, that looks like a horror movie.

I'm in.
Old 03-01-2010, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheez avenger View Post
Woah, that looks like a horror movie.

I'm in.
Cheez,

I would recommend reading the book by F Paul Wilson first because the film is simply so truncuated, unless of course we get a Director's Cut out on
Old 03-01-2010, 06:54 PM

I loved this movie as a kid, especially the Tangerine Dream soundtrack. I would LOVE to see any release of this in uncut form, particularly on Blu-ray.

I would say no chance in hell...but we did get Night of the Creeps and Hardware already, so anything is possible
Old 03-01-2010, 07:17 PM

i love michael mann and he's one of my six favorite directors but i turned this off after an hour, as i knew i would not love it. i liked the music and whatnot but i think the majority of his 80s films, if not all of them are a little too similar stylistically. sometimes that's good, sometimes it's not. maybe i'll read the novel some day.
Old 03-02-2010, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMA View Post
i love michael mann and he's one of my six favorite directors but i turned this off after an hour, as i knew i would not love it. i liked the music and whatnot but i think the majority of his 80s films, if not all of them are a little too similar stylistically. sometimes that's good, sometimes it's not. maybe i'll read the novel some day.
Would you buy this on though if a fully restored Director's Cut were to be made available? One thing is for sure and that is that the existing 93 mins version does not represent Michael Mann's vision of how the film should have turned out.....
Old 03-02-2010, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Limey View Post
Would you buy this on though if a fully restored Director's Cut were to be made available? One thing is for sure and that is that the existing 93 mins version does not represent Michael Mann's vision of how the film should have turned out.....
i would certainly rewatch it but as of now i'm just pumping myself for collateral.
Old 03-02-2010, 09:25 AM

I went ahead and ordered the book through the library.
Old 03-02-2010, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qube View Post
I loved this movie as a kid, especially the Tangerine Dream soundtrack. I would LOVE to see any release of this in uncut form, particularly on Blu-ray.

I would say no chance in hell...but we did get Night of the Creeps and Hardware already, so anything is possible
Yes a restored The Keep would make a fantastic addition to any collection containing the likes of Hardware and Night Of The Creeps (two other super films for which a DVD release has been problematical).....

Funnily enough the Tangerine Dream soundtrack is incredibly rare. The official score has never been released although it does exist. This is due to an ongoing rights haggle between Virgin and Paramount apparently.
In 1995 Blu Moon Records released a CD with the entire official soundtrack available. Despite being an authentic CD, this was nonetheless an unofficial release and quickly became labelled 'The Blue Moon Boot'. However, it is a great CD and I purchased mine from a retailer prior to its withdrawal:

The original "Blue-Moon" version:

1. Dinu Pass (3:07) CW 3
2. The Keep (Main Title) (4:05) CW 4
3. The Black Soldiers (5:14) CW 2
4. Deadly Silver Crosses (6:31) CW 11
5. Brothers In Death (8:07) CW 12; LOGOS PT. 1
6. Evil Healing (3:51) CW 1
7. Glaeken's Quest (4:38) after 0:16, CW 9 (3:45)
8.* The Evil From Within (4:47)
9. The Black Soldiers (1st Mix) (8:57) CW 5
10. Gloria (3:05) < CW 15, TDI 1
11. Romanian Road (2:52) < CW 17, TDI 4
12. Fisherman's Morning (3:20) < CW 16, TDI 2
13. Sailing Mission (3:00) < CW 14
14. ~The Keep 'Mid Theme' (Remix) (1:50) 70/90 1 > 1:53
15. ~The Keep 'End Theme' (Remix) (2:22) 70/90 2 > 2:28

However, Tangerine Dream themselves on a series of UK concerts released their own soundtrack CD in 1995. The first was only an issue of 150 in total:

Two years later they re-released this with a different cover and that was a run of only 300 copies. This is the version that I own:

Both these releases have 4 tracks from the official soundtrack but otherwise feature different (cut or unused?) TD tracks. Nonetheless a superb CD if you can pick one up.

Last edited by The Limey; 03-02-2010 at 01:54 PM.
Old 03-02-2010, 09:22 PM

Wow, thanks for the info. I always like learning cool trivia about music or movies like that. I might seek one of those out. Any idea which one has the best production value/mastering as far as sound fidelity?