PS3 playing movies question. - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 02-09-2010, 10:53 PM

Default PS3 playing movies question.

Is a PS3 (20gig) prone to breaking down moreso if it's soley used for movies as opposed to a blend of gaming and movies, or just games?

I watch about 8-12 hours of BR's a week.
Old 02-10-2010, 04:13 AM

I've had a 20gb PS3 for about two years and it's been 95% used for movies more than games.

I'd be interested to know why you're asking. What's the rationale?
Old 02-10-2010, 09:02 AM

I also cant see the reason why it would be more vulnerable if you just watch movies instead of playing games.

The laser is being used in both ways so i dont really think there will be a significant difference in the lifetime of the PS3

Just my thoughts.

Masterblaster
Old 02-19-2010, 08:55 AM

You should search the forums, I think this has popped up before and the rationale was that the laser is used more reading a movie versus a game disc. But I really can't see that using your PS3 as a "Blu-ray player" is going to send it to an early grave. I even use mine for the upscaling feature on regular DVD's.
Old 03-09-2010, 02:05 AM

I can see why this question has popped up... on the PS2 playing DVD's on in it made the laser and the drive motor go out because while playing a game the disc is randomly accessed and the laser isn't always on unlike watch DVD movies whereas the disc is constantly spinning and the laser always reading, now with the PS3 I don't know if they made it able to buffer the movie off from BDs but if they didn't then I could see how this would be a problem but I think they allow the BD movies to buffer ahead to increase picture and sound quality without overheating or overusing the drives