My 20GB PS3 died; fix it or trade it? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 02-08-2010, 01:50 PM

My 20GB PS3 died; fix it or trade it?

So yesterday I sat down to play some Fallout 3 GOTY (man, I LOVE that game!); I started my PS3, it loaded and as soon as I started to play, I heard 3 beeps, lost picture/sound on tv and the red led light was flashing. I turned it off, restarted, same thing: it seems to load the welcome menu, then the green light turns yellow, then after flashing red I hear 3 beeps and nothing. I turned it off from the back switch, same thing. Started searching online for advice, someone said to take out the hard drive and turn it on without it, I did that with no success. Then I called Sony cs and the rep said I can either send it to them for repair - cost $178 + tx, or trade it for a slim 120GB - cost $149 + tx. The trade deal sounds better, however, since mine is the 20GB that means losing my backwards compatibility... I could also try to take it to a 3rd party for repair...
Ironically, just last week I was telling a guy at work how I never had any problems with Sony stuff, and now this...
Any advice?
Old 02-08-2010, 02:15 PM

If backwards compatibility is important to you, I'd get it fixed. If not, then trade it. I have a Slim and a 60G. I like the Slim better so far. I bought the 60 because of backwards compatibility and to be honest, I've only played a few PS2 games on it. The same thing happened to my 60G by the way, which is why I went out and bought a Slim and I still haven't sent the 60G in for repair.
Old 02-08-2010, 02:22 PM

A friend told me to take the hd out and put in in the freezer for about an hour, then put it back in. Said he did that with a computer hd and it worked. I will try that tomorrow, working all day today.
The cs rep at Sony said if I do the trade I only have to send the unit back, I can keep all accessories. That sounds pretty good, a controller is around $40...
Old 02-08-2010, 03:28 PM

Hmmm, my PS3 is ready to kick the bucket. $150 for a trade in, I'm sold! Do you know if that is for the 120GB or the 250GB?
Old 02-08-2010, 03:44 PM

It's the 120GB. But I think they're refurbished, not brand new. I believe Sony offers a 90 day warranty on those.
Old 02-08-2010, 04:42 PM

Eh, I'll pass. Thanks for sharing.
Old 02-08-2010, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tibor Lugosi View Post
A friend told me to take the hd out and put in in the freezer for about an hour, then put it back in. Said he did that with a computer hd and it worked. I will try that tomorrow, working all day today.
The cs rep at Sony said if I do the trade I only have to send the unit back, I can keep all accessories. That sounds pretty good, a controller is around $40...
It isn't the HDD that is the problem IMO. When mine died, I was able to fire it up and it would work for a few minutes, then die. While I was able to get in, everything I could see on there was fine, so it is something else. That Yellow-red flashing light means something failed, either the BD drive or a chip fault. The most common issue seems to be heat related chip failure and there are supposedly some DIY fixes out there on YouTube for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darczap View Post
Eh, I'll pass. Thanks for sharing.
If you get yours fixed (if it broke), you still only have a 90day warranty
Old 02-08-2010, 06:55 PM

Quote:
So yesterday I sat down to play some Fallout 3 GOTY (man, I LOVE that game!); I started my PS3, it loaded and as soon as I started to play, I heard 3 beeps, lost picture/sound on tv and the red led light was flashing. I turned it off, restarted, same thing: it seems to load the welcome menu, then the green light turns yellow, then after flashing red I hear 3 beeps and nothing. I turned it off from the back switch, same thing. Started searching online for advice, someone said to take out the hard drive and turn it on without it, I did that with no success. Then I called Sony cs and the rep said I can either send it to them for repair - cost $178 + tx, or trade it for a slim 120GB - cost $149 + tx. The trade deal sounds better, however, since mine is the 20GB that means losing my backwards compatibility... I could also try to take it to a 3rd party for repair...
Ironically, just last week I was telling a guy at work how I never had any problems with Sony stuff, and now this...
Any advice?
I hear you. I never had a problem with the ps1, ps2, and then came the ps3. I would just buy a new one, if you can afford it. Sony Style is running a promo where you can buy the ps3 120 slim, one accessory, and a 3 year warranty for $384.97 (or less, depending on the accesory you choose). Plus if you open a Sony card, you can pay it off over a year. Thats the best deal I've found currently. I think I'm going to go this option (minus opening the card).

Last edited by darczap; 02-08-2010 at 07:05 PM.
Old 02-08-2010, 07:34 PM

Buying a new one is out of the question, I got laid off last august, I got a job in december but I'm not making what I used to. Since backwards compatibility means a lot to me, I will try to get it fixed by a third party (found 3 local shops that do it); if that doesn't work then I might trade it in for a 120g.
Old 02-08-2010, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Buying a new one is out of the question, I got laid off last august, I got a job in december but I'm not making what I used to. Since backwards compatibility means a lot to me, I will try to get it fixed by a third party (found 3 local shops that do it); if that doesn't work then I might trade it in for a 120g.
Why not buy a used ps2 off craigslist and trade in your 20gig?