What's next for the PS3? From the programmers themselves. - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 06-19-2007, 08:11 PM

Default What's next for the PS3? From the programmers themselves.

Really interesting Japanese interview with two members of the PS3 System Software team:

Translation Link: http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=567411

NeoGAF commentary: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=164914

The Highlights:

They think they can improve upconversion by 30-40%!
Custom soundtrack support is already there!
Wake On LAN support for Remote Play could be coming.
Special attention was given to PCM audio over HDMI since the Cell is a more powerful processor, and the HDMI connection can pass higher quality audio to the AV receiver. (Not sure if this only applies to SACD)
CD-Audio upsampling is being worked on.
Remote Play for games is already inside the SDK.
Old 06-19-2007, 09:00 PM

That's great. I'm looking forward to what else these guys can produce. Although they say they are not planning on improving the PS3 as a music player which is kind of a bummer. I would love to play some streamed music but I think having a playlist available to me would be best instead of having to choose each song to play at the right time.
Old 06-19-2007, 09:30 PM

Very cool interview. It sounds like they're really working hard to improve the system and also to add new functionality. I like the part about 30-40% improvement thru upconversion and a possible PSP>PS3 'wake-on-lan' solution.
Old 06-19-2007, 09:59 PM

I think the LAN wake should lead to be being able to download content and then have the machine turn itself off or LAN awake for remote play to be on vacation and still access your PS3.

I would like to see the media features grow on the PS3 though. Being limted by only monthly or yearly orginization of pictures is too little. why cant I have specific folders? and music too could use more hints from iTunes and greater streaming features from the Network.
Old 06-19-2007, 11:28 PM

I WANT DTS-HD-MASTER AUDIO!!! Is that too much to ask??? I've been waiting 6 months now, and right now my fox titles don't sound much better than the regular dvds.
Old 06-20-2007, 10:24 AM

Patience dajohn, we thought the same thing about upscaling and it did eventually happen - they just took their sweet ass time about it.
Old 06-20-2007, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by illegalprelude View Post
I think the LAN wake should lead to be being able to download content and then have the machine turn itself off or LAN awake for remote play to be on vacation and still access your PS3.

I would like to see the media features grow on the PS3 though. Being limted by only monthly or yearly orginization of pictures is too little. why cant I have specific folders? and music too could use more hints from iTunes and greater streaming features from the Network.
I want .avi and iTunes