Is the 120GB PS3 discontinued? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-06-2010, 09:58 AM

Default Is the 120GB PS3 discontinued?

I bought a 120GB PS3 a couple of weeks ago at Best Buy. I had to take it in for an exchange last night because it wouldn't play DVDs (just BDs). They said they didn't have any 120GBs in stock or even in transit, so I'd have to upgrade to the 250GB or take my money back.

I took my money because I just want the cheaper one since it's a bedroom player anyway. But I checked on Amazon last night, and they're not selling the 120GB either (unless you buy it from someone other than directly from Amazon). Same with Target and it looks like the same with Wal-Mart too. Gamestop has them listed as "backordered" but Toys R Us has them in stock online.

So, are they being discontinued, or is there just a major shortage of 120GB units?
Old 01-06-2010, 10:07 AM

Shortage.

This came up a week or two ago, with people wondering if Sony intentionally shipped less of the 120's in order to try and get people to cough up the extra 50 or 60 bucks for the 250.

I don't know if it's intentional or not, but it is not discontinued - just hard to find right now.
Old 01-06-2010, 11:41 AM

Yeah it does seem strange at this late date, with xmas over, to be lacking the 120.

One thing that may affect SOny decision on supply, which it so far appears to be their decision rather than demand, is they actually make money on the 250gb ps3.

weird to see a new 120gbs sold by second party sellers on Amazon from more than the 250gb new that Amazon themselves sell
Old 01-06-2010, 01:56 PM

Thanks for the info. Funny follow-up, I just went to my local Wal-Mart over lunch to see if they had any 120GBs in stock. Not only did they have one 120GB left, but it was actually the Arkham Asylum, Infamous, Dark Knight Blu Ray bundle one. So I got all of that for $299, so it worked out OK.

I have those games and that movie already, but I can trade or sell those no problem.
Old 01-06-2010, 02:02 PM

Weird, just found this on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Friday-Bundle-.../dp/B002TXNPBW

Comes with Infamous and Killzone 2 for $350 total and says it's in stock. Decent deal if you want those 2 games.
Old 01-06-2010, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLee View Post
Thanks for the info. Funny follow-up, I just went to my local Wal-Mart over lunch to see if they had any 120GBs in stock. Not only did they have one 120GB left, but it was actually the Arkham Asylum, Infamous, Dark Knight Blu Ray bundle one. So I got all of that for $299, so it worked out OK.

I have those games and that movie already, but I can trade or sell those no problem.
Good find. Sony put together a few really good bundles for the holidays, so I can't fault them for that. Not sure whats going on with the 120's though, and they need to get it sorted out. The price drop was a key reason their console sales leaped back to life, and not giving consumers the opportunity to purchase their cheapest version may backfire on them, with consumers walking over to the wii or xbox aisle and grabbing one of those instead.
Old 01-06-2010, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAnalogKid View Post
Good find. Sony put together a few really good bundles for the holidays, so I can't fault them for that. Not sure whats going on with the 120's though, and they need to get it sorted out. The price drop was a key reason their console sales leaped back to life, and not giving consumers the opportunity to purchase their cheapest version may backfire on them, with consumers walking over to the wii or xbox aisle and grabbing one of those instead.
Yeah they had some good bundles this year, Xbox I thought dropped the ball in this regard.

You have good point about the price, when a potential ps3 consumer have decided to spend the $299 + tax, when they can't find one are not terribly likely to spend the extra to get the 250gb model. Some will sure but with the competition at $199 on the same isle it makes it a hard sell. Hope Sony get this SNAFU straighten out
Old 01-07-2010, 06:00 PM

In Canada they just sold out, not discontinued. - Does anyone know if the 120gb Ps3 slims have had any trouble or not? I have terrible luck with electronics and am thinking about taking it back for a 360 Arcade! lol. Anyhow, let me know what you know about the slim ASAP. Its been making odd noises - like a crack sound - I guess its because its heating up and the case is expanding or something... but still...
thanks.
Old 01-08-2010, 01:16 AM

Aside from my issues above, I love the thing. I have every major console dating back to the NES, so I'm a pretty big video game nerd. While the SNES and Dreamcast will always be my favorite consoles, the PS3 is probably the single best, most-used piece of electronic hardware I've owned or used (aside from TVs and whatnot).

We now have 2 PS3s in our house, and it was at the urging of my wife that we got the 2nd one, and she doesn't play games at all! She wanted it for the multimedia capabilities alone.

I haven't had any weird problems with the slim (except for the one defect, like I said), the smaller form factor is outstanding, and it's quieter that my 40GB old PS3.
Old 01-08-2010, 07:20 AM

yeah, I gotta say, the ps3 is one sweet machine. How long did the defect take to reveal itself? I got my ps3 slim about a week ago. Only bit of slowdown during gameplay so far was when the controller battery warning came on...