2 Minor Problems With My PS3. Plz Help. - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 06-18-2007, 03:12 AM

Default 2 Minor Problems With My PS3. Plz Help.

Ok.

1. I'm getting a kinda frequent DNS server error that keeps signing me out of the network usually right when I turn it on. However I can always log back in after just a few minutes and then I'm fine. I have my security settings kinda high on my router, but my 360 is hooked up the same way and isn't having a similar issue. Has anyone heard of this?

2. I'm using the optical out on my PS3 and when I turn it on I get the nice opening tone in DD 5.1. However once the XMB is active it switches to PCM. Not a big deal in itself. But it's not putting out a constant signal, so my receiver goes on "standby". Every time I move the XMB theres supposed to be a 'click', and it takes a moment for the receiver to register the signal, so it doesn't play the 'click'. Then the signal is over, and the receiver goes back into standby again. Is there a way that I'm missing to get the PS3 to output a steady signal on the XMB (preferrbly in DD 5.1), so my audio isn't constantly interrupted? I have no other audio issues but this.

Not really problems, but kinda annoying nonetheless. Any input is appreciated. Thanks.
Old 06-18-2007, 05:00 AM

im taking a shot in the dark but both problems could be related in the sense that maybe the PS3 isnt remembering your settings hence why you gotta log out and log back in and same with your optical setting.

I would say, log out and create a new account and see how it does it like that. Maybe somehow a "corrupt" account?
Old 06-18-2007, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by illegalprelude View Post
im taking a shot in the dark but both problems could be related in the sense that maybe the PS3 isnt remembering your settings hence why you gotta log out and log back in and same with your optical setting.

I would say, log out and create a new account and see how it does it like that. Maybe somehow a "corrupt" account?
Yeah I've checked my audio settings about 5 times. But, I'm pretty sure I noticed the audio problem long before the DNS error started. But its not kicking me out of my user profile, I just briefly lose my connection to the PS network.

I don't understand why I can get the opening audio in DD 5.1, but not the rest of the XMB audio.

Illegal, does your XMB audio show up as PCM?
Old 06-18-2007, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanthaPoodoo View Post
I'm using the optical out on my PS3 and when I turn it on I get the nice opening tone in DD 5.1. However once the XMB is active it switches to PCM.
Not sure if this is related or not, but is your PS3 audio output set to optical-bitstream? You don't want it set to LPCM if you're using an optical cable.
Old 06-18-2007, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicodimus22 View Post
Not sure if this is related or not, but is your PS3 audio output set to optical-bitstream? You don't want it set to LPCM if you're using an optical cable.
Damn. I think you're right. I better double check what mine is set at. I'll report back. Thanks. Dig your avatar btw. Almost as cool as mine .
Old 06-18-2007, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanthaPoodoo View Post
Yeah I've checked my audio settings about 5 times. But, I'm pretty sure I noticed the audio problem long before the DNS error started. But its not kicking me out of my user profile, I just briefly lose my connection to the PS network.

I don't understand why I can get the opening audio in DD 5.1, but not the rest of the XMB audio.

Illegal, does your XMB audio show up as PCM?
mine indeed is set to PCM and always remembers it but I am running HDMI for my video and audio.

The logging out, im not sure about. you said your running wireless? I would again for kicks, just create a new account (it takes like 10 seconds) and see if my corrupt account theory holds any water at all.

As far as Avatar goes,

JarJar ftw!

Old 06-18-2007, 08:59 PM

My audio does the same thing.

As far as the network issue goes.. try setting the PS3 to a static IP address, and there's some port setting you check check too, but I forget what they are.. they also fix problems some people have with really slow downloads.. i forgot where I read a really good setup guide for it though.
Old 06-19-2007, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cieljek View Post
My audio does the same thing.

As far as the network issue goes.. try setting the PS3 to a static IP address, and there's some port setting you check check too, but I forget what they are.. they also fix problems some people have with really slow downloads.. i forgot where I read a really good setup guide for it though.
its in the PS3 facts section I made close to the end pages I believe
Old 06-19-2007, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by illegalprelude View Post
its in the PS3 facts section I made close to the end pages I believe

Cool. Thanks for the tips everyone. I report back as soon as I get to try them out... (Ill be too busy for a couple of days )

P.S. darth darth binks... truly the most terrifying sith lord, because even though he's evil... he's not "cool evil" like a normal sith. He can actually use the force to annoy the life out of you.
Old 06-21-2007, 02:01 AM

There are issues with Linksys wireless G routers and the PS3. When I use my ZyXel wireless router I don't have any issues. When I use my Linksys WRT54G router, I fet dropped every once in a while. I believe Linksys is aware is the issue (if you have a Linksys router).